Opening pool

I must have over shot my chlorine in my last addition at 5:30 without realizing it. I just tested and it was at 22.2 I was shooting for 18. Oh well it's not going to hurt anything, but I will test at 6:30 tomorrow morning and see if there is any loss.

As far as cloudy, I'm wondering if thatspollenor dirt. Since input the sock over skimmer basket it's been collecting tons of first or pollen. In a very short period. I've had to clean 2 times I the

I must have over shot my chlorine in my last addition at 5:30 without realizing it. I just tested and it was at 22.2 I was shooting for 18. Oh well it's not going to hurt anything, but I will test at 6:30 tomorrow morning and see if there is any loss.

As far as cloudy, I'm wondering if thatspollenor dirt. Since input the sock over skimmer basket it's been collecting tons of first or pollen. In a very short period. I've had to clean 2 times I the last 3 hours.
Not sure what the OCLT will look like. If you overshoot FC per the given CYA, the excess drops off fast so no way knowing in the am what's happening unless you lose a lot.

Reactions: clem1985
Not sure what the OCLT will look like. If you overshoot FC per the given CYA, the excess drops off fast so no way knowing in the am what's happening unless you lose a lot.
OCLT this morning was at 21.5 a loss of .7ppm. CC test was 0. Sock on skimmer basket was full of dirt dirt again. Sprayed it off. Added no FC. I'm really thinking that a lot of the cloudiness is dirt and debris. I bush once or twice a day. Which kicks up a lot of brown dirt or could be also dead algae. If the pump is off and everything settles the way is pretty dang clear.

Dead algae it is. You need to vacuum it undisturbed and then clean the filter cartridge.
I think your right, the issue I have is that my filter which is the one that came with the pool does not have a vacuum to waste option. When trying to use the vacuum like normal it kicks everything up. What to do, what to do!? other than keep brushing and kicking it up and letting the filter try and trap it.

I'm somewhat confused when I read other threads, That say if you have dead algae you must keep slamming, until its clear and continue to brush and vacuum. Why the need to slam if all tests pass? Wouldn't it be the filtering, brushing and vacuuming that is making the pool clear, once you have passed your CC, OCLT. Obviously you have to maintain FC levels based on CYA. Can chlorine dissolve dead algae?

I think your right, the issue I have is that my filter which is the one that came with the pool does not have a vacuum to waste option. When trying to use the vacuum like normal it kicks everything up. What to do, what to do!? other than keep brushing and kicking it up and letting the filter try and trap it.
Sounds like you need to clean the filter now before you vacuum as it's probably full and then vacuum with clean filter. If you have good suction at the vac head it'll get sucked up and not get dispersed.

Tested fc 18 down 3.5 ppm down from 21.5ppm at 6:30am. So a 11hr time span. That's within range of a normal ppm loss over that time correct? Just sprayed skimmer basket sock and filter cartridge. Scooped out a bunch of decaying leaves that settled in middle of pool. Last addition of FC was yesterday at 5:30pm which I accidentally over added. It was supposed to be 18fc but tested at 22.2. OCLT last night was .7 ppm. And CC was 0

Last edited:
Why the need to slam if all tests pass? Wouldn't it be the filtering, brushing and vacuuming that is making the pool clear, once you have passed your CC, OCLT. Obviously you have to maintain FC levels based on CYA. Can chlorine dissolve dead algae?
Just wanted to address this for you. We know from the SLAM Process page that clear water is one of the 3 SLAM passing criteria. That's because over time and thousands of pool SLAMs, we've learned that even though you may pass an OCLT, we have to ensure the cloudiness is indeed residual material only. There have been some cases where an owner passed an OCLT only to find small bits fo algae tucked away somewhere, so the 3 criteria all come into play - most of the time. In some rare cases, we have agreed that a pool filter is struggling and that's all it was. It just needed more time. It's your call at this point, just be sure because you don't want to loose all the progress you made to get to this point.

Waiting on refill of FAS-DPD test to come in. Kind of just winging it until then mainitaing FC Slam. Getting clearer by the day. Every Day brushing. When I spray the cartridge out, Its always a, brown/yellowish tint. Is that dead algae, It certainly doesn't look like dirt?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: things are looking good it's just taking time. Finally received My Fas-dpd refill in. Here is the stats.

FC-24
CYA 42-43
TA 90
pH 7.2
CC - 0

Not to bad considering I have been guessing the fc level. Poolwas basically crystal clear with a slight haze this morning until I brushed. But the good news is the bottom of the pool is looking cleaner and cleaner. I think it's just a filtration efficiency issue right now. It's just a stock 1500 summerwaves skimmer. I also had a mishap when making sure the impeller was clean, I broke the ceramic shaft. I was able to fix it with 1/8 diameter brass rod cut to length. Seems to actually be running better now since that.

I believe I have passed all 3 of these criteria. Should I go ahead and try and let the FC drift down to normal levels? Math shows CYA 50 normal is 6ppm, but I was thinking of trying to maintain 8-10ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.