Opening pool

That's dead algae. You need to vacuum it up.

I wouldn't stop the SLAM Process until you stop finding new, dead algae.

I think you are right that its dead algae. When you brush it, It comes back quickly. Now If it was new dead algae, that would suggest that I should have a OCLT fail, correct? Last yesterday, was 7:30pm 14.5ppm FC, this morning 6:30am 14.5ppm FC. So OCLT is 0 ppm. CC 0ppm, Water is crystal clear. Which suggest there is no consumption of FC due to any organics such as algae since there is no sunligh, correct? I personally feel its that its to fine to be filtered out and agree that it needs to be vacuumed out. I'm currently waiting on my skimmer vacuum attachment to come in to vacuum. Hopefully that will take care of it.

If dead algae is still showing up that seems to suggest somewhere hidden - it keeps trying to grow out of it, hits the chlorinated water, and dies, but the chlorine isn't getting to the hidden spot. OCLT is a good indicator but not seeing dead algae would be a better one. Any spots it could be hiding?

If dead algae is still showing up that seems to suggest somewhere hidden - it keeps trying to grow out of it, hits the chlorinated water, and dies, but the chlorine isn't getting to the hidden spot. OCLT is a good indicator but not seeing dead algae would be a better one. Any spots it could be hiding?
There is no ladder in the pool. So it can't be that. I brush every single day. Multiple times if possible. I puffs into a cloud when disturbed. The spot where its brushed will be clear then shortly after have greyish dust on it. when it plumes, the water becomes hazy but it clears very quickly. Not because its filtered but because its falling to the floor. So that kind of leads me to that its not new dead algae but algae that will not filter out. Like I said I'm waiting on the vacumm adapter. That will be a good test to know for sure. There are fold's in the liner where the manufacturer creates a seam during the manufacturing process. So I will check the fold of the liner today.

Sea like the folds are good. Checked the fc and it only had 3.0 ppm between 6:30am and 5pm. Until my vacuum adapter I'm trying a experiment. I gently as to not make a huge cloud, brushed a large section of the pool to the other side of the pool to see if would reaccumilate or not. I also took the pool up to SLAM FC of 20 as well.

The results were good very little reaccumilation on the area that I swept. You can see the area to the right of the pool. So that tells me that its most likely dead algae and dust/pollen. Hopefully the vac will work.

20210519_064712.jpg

Since raising to 20ppm slam yesterday evening. I only lost 2.5ppm over 8.5 hrs. Of daylight today. Granted its been overcast and rainy. But still much better ppm loss during daylight. Brought back to 20ppm again.

That kind of looks like alive algae to me rather than dead. Dead algae is white.
Possibly. That's why I'm continuing the slam until everything is gone. Waiting on my vacuum skimmer attachment to come to vacuum. Water is crystal clear though. All the tests come back good. The stuff on the bottom is really the last thing to check off.

Last edited:
Sea like the folds are good. Checked the fc and it only had 3.0 ppm between 6:30am and 5pm. Until my vacuum adapter I'm trying a experiment. I gently as to not make a huge cloud, brushed a large section of the pool to the other side of the pool to see if would reaccumilate or not. I also took the pool up to SLAM FC of 20 as well.
You’re not judging OCLT based on daylight hours are you? Losing only 3ppm during daylight hours is a pretty normal consumption.

Reactions: clem1985

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You’re not judging OCLT based on daylight hours are you? Losing only 3ppm during daylight hours is a pretty normal consumption.
He's passing the OCLT - his only issue now is potential live/dead algae still showing in small amounts on the bottom.

Reactions: clem1985 and Bperry
It has been raining a lot so I wonder if just vacuuming to waste is a good option, since the water level is high? Since the filter is doesn't have a waste option, can I just hang the hose off the side and use gravity?

Log:
FC OCLT - 20-20.5ppm target ppm 20. - Passed
CC - 0-.5 - Passed
Water is crystal clear, but bottom is still dirty with dead algae. Tried to vacuum to waste by gravity, really didn't work well. Not enough suction. Still waiting on vacuum attachmnent

Continuing with SLAM until the bottom gets cleared up. Good thing is that the FC loss during the daytime has slowed down. Was losing roughly 5-6 ppm during the day, now its down to only 3ppm roughly.
20210520_164009.jpg

Key here would also be to rid your filter of the dead algae too.
Yep, Its a crappy stock skimmer filter. I have been cleaning and also added a skimmer sock to the basket inside. Which has helped. Just replaced the cartridge with a new one 2 days ago. I try and hose the cartridges off every day.

Today I was finally able to dedicate some solid time to vacuuming, and cleaning. I think I'm reaching the end.

I vacuumed out hundreds of these she'll like seeds.
20210523_161837_HDR.jpg
Also a ton of other junk
20210523_162301_HDR.jpg
Here is the final product so far.

20210523_162625.jpg

20210523_162633.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: IceShadow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.