Gold Supporter
Jun 4, 2020
NYC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This will be my first opening of the pool. Usually it opens two weeks memorial day so I am just planning things out now. Two things make this an odd opening and I wanted to ask how to handle them. First, I plan to replace 3/4 of the water as I have high CYA.. think it was like 130 last time I checked. Secondly, The pool pros closed it last season and that is when I realized the chlorine tab where a detriment to the CYA, so I told them no chlorine tabs. But I didn't over chlorinate and also I went all winter without chlorine tabs. I just added a bit of chlorine manually late fall when I realized my mistake. I checked the pool today and its still decently clear. But now the temp was in 70s yesterday and 60s today, so I probably need to add more chlorine before I can get to Mid may.

So when should I open and when should I replace the water? And should I be adding chlorine until then? I know chlorine needs to be added when filter is running, so I fear adding now before the filter is on and when temps are warm is going to do nothing. In hindsight, maybe I should have just added the chlorine tabs in the floater since I am goign to replace the water anyhow? Should I do that now? But that is not normal here, so i am still a bit confused on how the pool maintains chlorine until opening. I guess if I overchlorinate at closing, it would cover me until may? But that seems like a really long time considering 70s in late march. Or maybe this is just an abnormal spring and itll cool down again soon.

It takes a while for your pool water to warm up above 60 where algae starts becoming a problem. The few warm days hardly change the water temperature of an inground pool. Also the ground is still cold.

I don’t expect water temperature above 60 until around May 1.

Check your CYA after opening your pool and running the pump for a few days. You may have lost more CYA over the winter then you think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.