Opening Advice

Jul 17, 2019
Ontario
My pool was built last year so this will be my first time opening. It is a 16x32 salt pool and I am located near Niagara Falls. Thinking of opening early as I have nothing better to do with all that is going on in the world.

My understand is salt does not work properly until the pool temp reaches 60+ degrees. So I called local pool store to find out how much chlorine I need to open. The girl at the store stated that I require 17 gallons. Does that seem right? Seems very high to me, but again, I have not done this before and only require enough to get me through a couple weeks when the water gets warmer.

Any advice on this?

How many gallons is your pool?

Please create your signature with details of your pool. I can;t give specific recommendations with details like your gallons and model of SWG you have. Also what test kit you have.

What % chlorine will that 17 gallons be?

What will your CYA be to determine your FC loss?

If you have 20,000 gallons and the liquid chlorine is 10% then each gallon will give you 5 ppm a day. That is likely 2 to 3 days of chlorination per gallon. So 17 gallons can last you 30 to 50 days or maybe more depending on your pools environment and daily FC loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.