On to tile and coping, Cypress, TX

Feb 20, 2017
Cypress,TX
Hi all, long time stalker and first time poster here. I've picked up a lot of tips from others to date and now have to ask for thoughts on my particular project. We have already picked out builder and picked most of our materials. That said I still have some concern with what our designer has recommended (somewhat shocked a commission guy nixed price increases).

The pool is 31 x 18 (builds right up to the easement). Right now the pool is set to have a 2HP Jandy Pro Series pump, cartridge filter, Fusion Ozone, and Polaris 280 with 3/4 booster pump. So now my questions. I had requested a VS Pump, but the designer said it wasn't worth it for a pool with no spa, and I had also requested a robot but the designer stated I would be better suited with a pressure side. Are these good recommendations? The pool will be finished with a Wet Edge Pearl Matrix and glass bead. The raised beam high point is 18" .

I will say too we chose this builder because they were the easiest and least pushy to work with. Price wise they were middle of the road.
Front.jpgtop.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Final Detail Question and Build, Cypress, TX

Love, love, love your design! Swim lane-check! bench seating-check! pretty shelf and steps-check!

YES on the VS pump due to your waterfalls and bubblers. I would have each one on it's own valve to help control them as needed/wanted.

No to the polaris cleaner and extra pump for it.

Yes to the robot. Do a search. There has been many threads about which ones to get and why!

No to the fusion ozone. Do some research for find the threads about them. They are not for large bodies of water.

Think about a SWG! They make a pool even really Trouble Free! Link here:
Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

I would love to see where the pool is going!

Kim:kim:

Welcome to the forum:wave:

Foks here who get a VS (even without a spa) will fight you if you try to take it away.

For me, a 1.5 HP 2 speed would be my choice but either a 1.5 VS or a 2 speed will be better choices.

Get a robot. Hands down they are better than a pressure side and you don't have to mess with or listen to that second pump.

Maybe even more important, that ozone will do you little, if any, good at all in your pool. You still need chlorine to keep your pool sanitary. Take that money and get an SWG......you'll never look back.

This builder sounds like he has not kept up with the changing times or sold a bill of goods by salesmen. Do your own homework and make your best decisions.

gone,

I've give one very good reason to go variable speed. With a vs pump you will be able to run your pump at a very slow speed most of the time. When you decide to turn on your waterfall, you can ramp up to just the right speed to have the perfect flow coming out of the wall ports. You cannot do this with a single speed pump.

If that is not enough, a vs speed pump is so quiet that you almost can't tell if it is running without touching it.

Right now I'm sure that you think that you'll leave the waterfall on all the time, but trust me, this will not be the case. You'll only want it on when your are actively using the pool or when you want to impress your guests... :D

I assume you have a cellphone.. Well, if you were to buy a new phone today, would it be one of the old, black, rotary-dial jobs from the 60's or would you be getting something from this century? The same thing applies to pool cleaners. I suggest you get a Robot, you can thank me later... :lol:

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

So I guess my only other question is, is it worthwhile to have them plumb for a pressure side cleaner? Or do I just assume that if I change courses in the future that I go with a no booster pump model pressure side?

So I guess my only other question is, is it worthwhile to have them plumb for a pressure side cleaner? Or do I just assume that if I change courses in the future that I go with a no booster pump model pressure side?

I would have them plumb for a suction side vacuum cleaner with a Jandy valve at the pump end and a port (with door) in the side wall of the pool.

With a robot, you will most likely never use it, but good to have just in case. With a little change to the plumbing, a vacuum pipe could be converted into a pressure side port, if ever needed in the future. A suction side cleaner will have a 2" pipe, while a pressure side cleaner uses a much smaller pipe. I think 3/4", but not sure of the exact size.

Thanks,
Jim R.

IMG_1027.jpgIMG_1032.jpgWell its dig day! Woke at 0630 to hammers busting open the fence next to the bedroom. 3.5 hours later we have a fairly large hole in the yard and no internet, didn't get marked in the yard and was only 3" in the ground.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WOW! They HAVE been busy! That is pretty and bet looks even better in person!

Now is the time I share a set of links I put together for new pool owners. It is a lot of info but you will have time to read and learn it before the plaster gets put on.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

This is also when I ask you about the test kit the PB will give you. Please ask him which one it is and share it here so we can help you fill in any holes.

:hug: thanks for sharing your build here! It is going great!

Kim:kim:

Re: And we are off, Cypress, TX

Been a busy week. Add plumbing, gunite, electrical. coping and bond beam tile. I wish the photo of silver travertine "braid" showed better. Gives really great look.
View attachment 57721

really like that rear wall. i wish i could do that around my whole backyard instead of a fence. nice soldier row and simple detail.

pool looks pretty sweet too. like that early morning start. i used to love firing up the mixer on sat and sun at 7 AM. loved getting the texts from friends of mine who knew my neighbors asking what the heck was going on so early! lol

keep it up you are moving nice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.