Old pool that came with the house, very frustrated, I was unable to clear the pool all summer, about ready to drain and gut everything.

So my Dad convinced me to put Algaecide in last night. I was reluctant because I always thought Algaecide was unnecessary but I did it. I have a blue pool this morning. I am continuing with the slam process as it is still cloudy. I also think my gauge might be faulty on the filter. It didn’t say my PSI had increased much but noticed decreased flow from the jets so I backwashed and the flow improved big time. 🤞

but noticed decreased flow from the jets so I backwashed and the flow improved big time. 🤞
Oh, those dads...

Gauge is probably off, I'd just backwash a couple times a day, should help. Time for a new gauge..

You might also consider adding DE to help with filtering.

Reactions: Mdragger88
A new gauge is around $12-$18 depending on where you get it-
I remove mine in the winter to preserve its lifespan.
I like these as they’re glycerin filled & easy to read

So pool is blue but extremely cloudy. I can’t see the bottom in the three foot section. It has stayed cloudy despite running 24/7 and slamming for weeks. I backwashed this morning (I finally got an increase in psi after about a week). My system is struggling to hold suction. If I switch it to bottom drain only, I lose suction almost immediately. If I switch it to skimmer only, it runs better but eventually I also lose suction.

So pool is blue but extremely cloudy. I can’t see the bottom in the three foot section. It has stayed cloudy despite running 24/7 and slamming for weeks. I backwashed this morning (I finally got an increase in psi after about a week). My system is struggling to hold suction. If I switch it to bottom drain only, I lose suction almost immediately. If I switch it to skimmer only, it runs better but eventually I also lose suction.
I used to be able to switch to skimmer/bottom drain only without ever losing suction. Something is up with the set up but I can’t figure out what. Servicing my pump didn’t really help.

So I might be getting some where. We always use the pool robot to vacuum. I decided to take out the antique vac set up and give it a go. I set it to pull only from the skimmer and put the vac head right above the bottom drain and let it just hang out and suck. I could hear junk coming through the vac tubing. I switched back to filter and my pressure is more consistent and I can FINALLY pull from the bottom drain. I feel so stupid for not doing this sooner. I think the bottom drain was clogged up with junk and my pool vac couldn’t get it. However another issue I am having is that when the multiport valve is set to filter, I have a water trickling out the backwash hose. Does that mean my valve is damaged? It’s a mess over here 😅. Hoping to get everything straightened out.

Your spider gasket may be leaking.
Best to get a new one on order.

Do you have the fine pleated filter for your bot? They can be helpful for smaller particles. Like a little roving cartridge filter.
Which nautilus do you have?
Nautilus cc/pro
Or
Nautilus cc+/supreme ?

It almost sounds like another really long slam someone dealt with. The issue ended up being play sand in the filter, not pool filtering sand. It cleared up very quickly once the proper sand was installed. Thinking out loud.

It may or may not be the cause. Worth considering.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We definitely had pool sand in the filter, we got it from our local pool store. I believe we had a damaged multiport valve among other issues so decided it was time to get a new filter and pump. We upgraded to a much bigger set up as it should have been for a pool this size. Wish I would have done it years ago. Just finished hooking up our new Hayward DE filter and 1.5hp Pump. Within 15 minute, the gauge has increased 4psi and is continuing to climb. FINALLY!!! 🥹 Still have some air bubbles in the pump, nothing crazy. I expect there could be a small leak on the suction side. We will work on that in the spring. I will let you know when the pool is clear🤞. Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hopefully you’re on the path now!!
Be sure to lube the pump basket oring thats a real common reason for suction side leaks.
Update your signature with your new stuff 😊

I could cry tears of joy. I can see the bottom of the 8’ section after roughly 24hrs of filtering. My only issue is that it is difficult to prime and I keep losing suction when the filter gets clogged up (DE Filter) but once it’s clean, that shouldn’t be an issue. There was a lot of dead algae in there!!! We also plan to install a valve at the pump intake later today so I can close it off when I need to get to the pump basket or clean the filter without losing prime. Eventually I want to redo the plumbing so the pump and filter aren’t so far from the skimmer and bottom drain. I think that would make priming easier.

Next project to tackle is that deck… yikes! Gotta love this old house. 😂

Thanks for all of your help!

405BC447-15AF-4655-862F-72600EBBCF22.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.