OK. Opening the pool today

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
Late bloomer here. Had to have a heater installed and a new liner. Who knew ants can ruin your liner... Anyway,

Here are my numbers.

FC - 0
TA @ 130
CH 270 - looking good
PH 8+. I like it, because when I add the MA to reduce the TA, the PH should balance out. If not, I'll aerate. In fact, I'm aerating as I add the water to the pool now.
CYA - 0, the big goose egg. This has been the bane of my existence for 8 years. I have the stabilizer the knee-high stockings ready. I also have a plan to increase the CYA, bu-dum-bumpt!

I should be able to fire up the pump in an hour or so, once the pool has enough water.

Am I missing anything?

If you had a new liner installed and all fresh water, then the CYA = 0 is expected.

Get that CYA dissolving, put some bleach in, and lower the pH.

Note: you are adding the acid to lower the pH, the lowering of the TA is a side-effect. Do not think you can just add a ton of acid to lower the TA all at once.

You already have CYA dissolving, which leaves pH and FC. Slop some bleach in, a few swipes with the brush, add some acid, go give the CYA sock a squeeze, grit you teeth, and :splash:

TA by itself doesn't need to be bothered with at this point. Lowering pH will drop it some, and the CYA is also acidic and will reduce it some more.

Thanks. I haven't added anything yet, just waiting to fill. Yes, I expected 0 CYA. I've just never been able to keep the level adequate over the years, but I'm more determined now.

I did lower the hose into the pool, to prevent bubbles. That is what I meant when i said I was aerating. i just had the hose above water level. I've dropped it in now though.

I'll start with the bleach and the CYA sock.

My only real fear at this point is, what will happen when I turn on the filter? I talked with the guy about replacing the sand. 8 years, but we both figured it made sense to run it as is. I had seen green each year, but I have to believe each time that it was pollen and not the filter being dirty. I did backwash at the end of last year.

If there a gentler way to turn on the filter, so as not to greatly disturb the surface of the sand?

Thanks. I haven't added anything yet, just waiting to fill. Yes, I expected 0 CYA. I've just never been able to keep the level adequate over the years, but I'm more determined now.

I did lower the hose into the pool, to prevent bubbles. That is what I meant when i said I was aerating. i just had the hose above water level. I've dropped it in now though.

I'll start with the bleach and the CYA sock.

My only real fear at this point is, what will happen when I turn on the filter? I talked with the guy about replacing the sand. 8 years, but we both figured it made sense to run it as is. I had seen green each year, but I have to believe each time that it was pollen and not the filter being dirty. I did backwash at the end of last year.

If there a gentler way to turn on the filter, so as not to greatly disturb the surface of the sand?
Start on rinse. The water will flow the normal direction but will leave via the waste pipe instead of back to the pool. Any loose crud in the filter should leave that way. Then you put it to filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.