Official 2022 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

If you’re a fan of a blood orange or red beer, give these Texas beers a try, if you haven’t already - Shannon Irish Red and Revolver Blood and Honey. Cheers!

1666791896438.jpeg

1666791990895.png

Fell in love today……family always enjoys pork cutlets but they’re a pain to make. Often they take forever to cook enough as we can only fry two at a time and there’s always grease everywhere when we’re done. The weather was nice out today and thought I’d give things a shot. Not sure we’ll make cutlets inside ever again! So much easier this way.
View attachment 459655
Funny we had pork chops last nite but I really like them original shake and bake in the oven, but I will have to try them this way :cheers:

Grilled up some Oklahoma onion burgers yesterday. Sliced the onions paper thin on the mandolin slicer and then salted them to draw out the water. Let them sit in a strainer over a bowl for a couple of hours and then squeezed out even more water. Getting my them as dry as possible helps to grill them instead of steaming them. Rolled up 3oz balls of ground beef and got the cast iron griddles up to 600° on the gasser. Put the balls of beef on the griddle, topped them with a healthy helping of onions, smashed them flat and seasoned them with salt, pepper and garlic. Cook for a minute or 2 on each side. Top 1 patty with cheese and serve as double patty burgers. Delicious!

1667221570716.jpeg

1667221598580.jpeg

1667221629891.jpeg

Made a smoked corn beef brisket yesterday.

Terrible at taking pics before, during and sometimes after.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    325.4 KB · Views: 9
Grilled up some Oklahoma onion burgers yesterday. Sliced the onions paper thin on the mandolin slicer and then salted them to draw out the water. Let them sit in a strainer over a bowl for a couple of hours and then squeezed out even more water. Getting my them as dry as possible helps to grill them instead of steaming them. Rolled up 3oz balls of ground beef and got the cast iron griddles up to 600° on the gasser. Put the balls of beef on the griddle, topped them with a healthy helping of onions, smashed them flat and seasoned them with salt, pepper and garlic. Cook for a minute or 2 on each side. Top 1 patty with cheese and serve as double patty burgers. Delicious!

View attachment 460499

View attachment 460500

View attachment 460501
Well done, smash burgers are great and fun to make :cheers:

Reactions: jark87
Got our reverse sear on last night with prime bone-in ribeyes. Turned frozen, oven-baked tater tots into restaurant quality side dish by adding fresh minced garlic to melted butter, tossing tots in the butter, and grating fresh Parmesan cheese on top. Poured remaining garlic butter over the steaks. Yum!

1668362530586.jpeg

1668362566348.jpeg

1668362629251.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So who has a big cook planned for Thanksgiving? Traditional turkey dinner or something else? I love turkey and for whatever reason, Thanksgiving is the only time I cook one, so that’s our plan. I’ll spatchcock and brine it in a buttermilk brine and I’m going to try Chef Tom’s honey butter glaze recipe that also includes injection of the glaze sauce into the breasts. Since it will be spatchcocked, I doubt that I’ll have a pan large enough to cook it like he does, so I’ll just go straight on the grates. I’ll also cook at a slightly lower temp - around 350°.

What are your plans?

So who has a big cook planned for Thanksgiving? Traditional turkey dinner or something else? I love turkey and for whatever reason, Thanksgiving is the only time I cook one, so that’s our plan. I’ll spatchcock and brine it in a buttermilk brine and I’m going to try Chef Tom’s honey butter glaze recipe that also includes injection of the glaze sauce into the breasts. Since it will be spatchcocked, I doubt that I’ll have a pan large enough to cook it like he does, so I’ll just go straight on the grates. I’ll also cook at a slightly lower temp - around 350°.

What are your plans?

I'm going to brine, spatchcock and smoke the turkey next week. It was pretty amazing last year.

I love turkey and for whatever reason, Thanksgiving is the only time I cook one
It's $1.79 or $1.29 a lb at Bjs all winter. I make one once a month on Sundays just for fun. We get several days out of it with easy leftover meals to start the week and there's enough ways to mix it up the spoils with pot pies, sandwhiches or soup that it never gets old. By the time BJs stops carrying them, I no longer want the oven on all afternoon in the spring.

It's funny because we went with fresh Turkeys a few times, and while they were great, they just didn't have that comfort food mojo after growing up with ButterBalls.

Yall ever make an upside down bird ? The dark meat dripping keeps the white meat good and moist. If you go the whole time the top of the bird gets kinda soggy down below so I cook it upside down until it crisps, flip it back over until that browns and foil it for whatever is left.

The process puts some grooves on the top side from the wire rack, so you lose the perfect presentation on the table, but I cut mine up before serving so nobody sees it anyway.

It's $1.79 or $1.29 a lb at Bjs all winter. I make one once a month on Sundays just for fun. We get several days out of it with easy leftover meals to start the week and there's enough ways to mix it up the spoils with pot pies, sandwhiches or soup that it never gets old. By the time BJs stops carrying them, I no longer want the oven on all afternoon in the spring.

It's funny because we went with fresh Turkeys a few times, and while they were great, they just didn't have that comfort food mojo after growing up with ButterBalls.
I'm not a huge turkey fan. Historically, my family does something in the community and I always work on the day after. So, we don't have the typical feast at the Thanksgiving Day feast with table scapes and all. We will make everything, then you have the option to go in to leftover mode and make turkey sandwiches, which I do love. :) We've been doing this since the kids were tiny. The first time my parents came over, I thought my mother was going to have a coronary -- on the other hand my dad was in heaven.

Over the years, we have tried several turkeys -- I've ordered heritage turkeys, which as uber expensive and honestly, it was OK -- certainly not for the price. The grocery store brands seem to be just fine. I've never had wild turkey, that didn't come out of a bottle. I hear they're fantastic.

Reactions: jark87 and Newdude
Yall ever make an upside down bird ? The dark meat dripping keeps the white meat good and moist. If you go the whole time the top of the bird gets kinda soggy down below so I cook it upside down until it crisps, flip it back over until that browns and foil it for whatever is left.

The process puts some grooves on the top side from the wire rack, so you lose the perfect presentation on the table, but I cut mine up before serving so nobody sees it anyway.
I have done that a couple times. The meat was great -- the skin bummed me out. :)

Reactions: jark87 and Newdude
The meat was great -- the skin bummed me out.
I found it works best with big birds well into the 20s. That way it's cooking for so long it has the time to crisp the skin on both sides. A 14 pounder is done too quickly for that.

I tried right-side up flipping it midway a few times but those didn't cook the white meat well for the back half, needing to cook longer drying it all out.

So I start upside down and if I time it right, it rivals any other bird out there with fancier styles.
I've never had wild turkey, that didn't come out of a bottle
We have a local turkey farm that's about as close as you can get to wild. Its free range and freshly processed when they hand it to you. For lack of a better cliché, it's too gamey for us. It's great as its own thing, but like I said it didn't have the right mojo for the big occasions.

I think I did that once, but honestly can’t remember how it turned out, which probably means it was good! I tend to remember the failures. Spatchcocking kind of accomplishes the same thing. The entire bird cooks evenly because it’s flattened out. That way you don’t have the breasts drying out because they take too long to reach temp. You also lose the grandiose whole bird presentation, though, but the skin renders perfectly!

Reactions: Newdude
More attempts to create the monster omlet :cheers:

Attachments

• 1D0CAE98-D6D9-4EFA-9C20-D294BEC22E25.jpeg
    1D0CAE98-D6D9-4EFA-9C20-D294BEC22E25.jpeg
    523.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 741D1643-1863-4453-8157-BAD2E3515A6A.jpeg
    741D1643-1863-4453-8157-BAD2E3515A6A.jpeg
    570.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 617D3263-021C-40CC-8085-E2E7DE9CA66C.jpeg
    617D3263-021C-40CC-8085-E2E7DE9CA66C.jpeg
    518.7 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.