Official 2020 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: cwescapexlt4x4
E47F9989-A22E-4AFE-B522-B68C98F3ED2B.jpegA98140C8-89F1-45EA-A24C-5587292C8500.jpeg31E58D67-FE98-43D3-9D2F-F339367AB537.jpeg
Another magical day yesterday. Fried fish tonight! 45 perch and crappie. But wait the exciting part 10 lbs plus finished fillets! Typical sized perch and crappie at 45 fish will give u maybe 5 lbs on a great day. My monsters gave out 10 lbs plus.

this will never happen again probably. We threw back at least 100 plus bluegills ontop of what we took.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bought wife a smoker last week. First attempt at some ribs...not so good but edible. Any tricks of the trade with these electric smokers?
View attachment 162689
View attachment 162690
I never wrap my ribs as I don't like them fall off the bone. Electric smokers are going to be a pretty dry heat, I'd try spritzing with a mix of apple cider and apple cider vinegar once every 45 minutes or so. And possibly put a water pan on the bottom rack?

Reactions: jark87
I never wrap my ribs as I don't like them fall off the bone. Electric smokers are going to be a pretty dry heat, I'd try spritzing with a mix of apple cider and apple cider vinegar once every 45 minutes or so. And possibly put a water pan on the bottom rack?
Yep, we did all that. Only wrapped ribs for last 2 hours of a 6 hour smoke. Mopped every hour. Re-filled wood chips every hour. Wife filled pan with apple juice.

Yep, we did all that. Only wrapped ribs for last 2 hours of a 6 hour smoke. Mopped every hour. Re-filled wood chips every hour. Wife filled pan with apple juice.
I had a masterbuilt for a couple of years and it was a lot of trial and error. It cooked fantastic ribs, brisket, turkey breast and pork shoulders. First I would check the temp with a reliable thermometer. I used a dual thermometer by Thermoworks. I found out that my smoker was off by 20 degrees. Since then I recently upgraded to a Recteq grill and very pleased with it :cheers:

Reactions: Gladius Nova
My latest addition: The Meater 4 block. These are Bluetooth/Wifi Temp Probe. I bought a single a few month ago and it works well. The 4 probe has WiFi in the block which then connects to the probes. You control the whole thing from your phone, which can be anywhere in the world. The probes recharge in the block.

MEATER_Block_-_Screen_On_Resize_720x.png

app-block-monitor-multiple-cooks-en-f_400x.png

My latest addition: The Meater 4 block. These are Bluetooth/Wifi Temp Probe. I bought a single a few month ago and it works well. The 4 probe has WiFi in the block which then connects to the probes. You control the whole thing from your phone, which can be anywhere in the world. The probes recharge in the block.

MEATER_Block_-_Screen_On_Resize_720x.png

app-block-monitor-multiple-cooks-en-f_400x.png
That looks cool. I will have to look into this :cheers:

The beauty of the design is with the single probe you get both the internal temp of the meat and the smoker temp. I tested three at the same time last week.

I like to "smoke" steaks. You smoke them around 225-275F until they a rare/medium rare. You then heat a skillet in the kitchen to give the sear. Smokey, tender and a good sear. Takes about 35-45 minutes depending on the thickness of the steaks. I would love to have two smokers setup so I could do the final sear with charcoal. Home Depot sells a table-top kamado for $279, which I have my eye on for a sale...

On "smoking day", I usually do 2 or three things in sucession. The smoker is already setup, so I might as well keep going. And then we freeze 90% so we have weeks of quick meals. I made 7 smoked chicken breasts last Sunday. We will finish eating those today.

BTW, on boneless skinless breasts, Cherry > Apple.

Reactions: jark87

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.