Official 2020 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m having the worse time with temp on my egg today. Took an hour to get back up to temp when I put the ribs on even though they were out for over an hour. Then I pulled them so my lid was open for literally 30 secs and my temp spiked to 300 and now I’m trying to get it down again. I never had this issue.
Maybe you need a pellet grill :cheers:

Reactions: Sotex
I’m doing baby backs on the bge forcthe first time today. I think I’m wrapping. I was going to go no wrap but I’m afraid to. Lol. I thinking I’m going 2-1-1.
I personally like to do the 3-3 method which means wrapping, I think they are a lot more moist and juicy :cheers:

Tell me about this Kalua Pork? Is that something like a pig in the ground or is it a recipe?
Hawaiian version of slow cooked pork. They use banana leaves and koa wood. It is tender and juicy. Lots of recipes on line for us Haole's to try.

Went blueberry picking last weekend so needless to say. Muffins, 2 cakes, some breakfast thing and now finally scones!

for while on the boat fishing today. We are usually river rat fisherman but today we were sophisticated fisherman eating scones. Lol

47C4E726-0B74-4712-89F6-AC1447ECE5B0.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Money. Even with my temp problems. I’m very very happy for first time.
Congrats on the baby backs! If you’re a fan of dry rub, give Meathead’s Memphis Dust a try. Recipe link is below. Add a couple of teaspoons of jalapeño powder to kick it up a notch. Best ribs I’ve ever cooked!

Reactions: Locotl and jimim
What temp were you cooking those spatch'ed birds at? When we did ours we put them directly on to the grill grates. The skin was amazingly crispy, soI think a pan might interfere with the circulation of hot air?
I Started out with the heat at 225 and when internal temp got to 100 degrees cranked the heat up to 450 till internal temp reached 170 degrees.

I use a grid probe using my signals from thermo works. It was just a wonky cook.

I did baby back ribs yesterday and had a temp issue as well.

Completely my fault. I was thnking "this is only a 6 hr cook, no need to fill the BGE up all the way with charcoal" (like I typically do for longer cooks, and to be honest every time I use the egg for something longer than a 1 hr cook). So fire is going nice, I adjust top and bottom vents to where I "know" I'll hit 250 in a matter of minutes and I am off to the races. Except I'm not because I never got to 250 because like a dummy, I put less charcoal. So I open the vents more and forgot about it..... About 45 minutes later, I am cranking at nearly 400. UGH.... I do what I can to drop it down and the end result is I got to eat the most burned of the ribs while everyone else had something approaching passable after the rest of the cook. So trying to save about a dollar of charcoal caused me to practically ruin $25 worth of ribs.

Reactions: jark87
I did baby back ribs yesterday and had a temp issue as well.

Completely my fault. I was thnking "this is only a 6 hr cook, no need to fill the BGE up all the way with charcoal" (like I typically do for longer cooks, and to be honest every time I use the egg for something longer than a 1 hr cook). So fire is going nice, I adjust top and bottom vents to where I "know" I'll hit 250 in a matter of minutes and I am off to the races. Except I'm not because I never got to 250 because like a dummy, I put less charcoal. So I open the vents more and forgot about it..... About 45 minutes later, I am cranking at nearly 400. UGH.... I do what I can to drop it down and the end result is I got to eat the most burned of the ribs while everyone else had something approaching passable after the rest of the cook. So trying to save about a dollar of charcoal caused me to practically ruin $25 worth of ribs.
Anyone who hasn’t had a failure story when smoking hasn’t really hasn’t tried. Do baby backs really take 6 hours on the BGE? It’s been a long time since I used my stick burner for ribs, but I seem to recall cooks that took about that long. I can hang 8 racks in the Pit Barrel Cooker and they’re perfect in about 2 hours. I’ve gotten spoiled with that thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.