Official 2019 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blessings from the desert....until you get the nettles in your hands and then ???

Ripe prickly pear fruit straight off the cactus -

After picking them, the easiest way to get rid of the nettles is to burn them off. It also removes any gunk on the fruit's surface like lizard poop, giant spiders or venomous scorpions ?

Finally, you can handle them without having to go to the emergency room afterwards....

As a friend of mine once said about living in the desert - everything is designed to either impale you, poison you, or eat you....you are not the apex-predator anymore....

My go-to lazy recipe for prickly pears is this - freeze them for a day, then run them through the fruit juicer being careful to strain the juice through tight cloth and then use the juice to make prickly-pear ice cubes. They are a great additive to many cold beverages both alcoholic and non-alcoholic alike....perhaps I'll add some to my CDB extractor for a desert-flavored CDB oil :stirpot:
That’s what I always said when I went out to my buddy’s place in Arizona. Everywhere you look something can kill you.

Where’s the fun in picking fruit if you don’t get to use your Kevlar body armor ?‍♂️ Anybody can pull a pear off the tree but you separate the men from the boys when there’s a good chance you’ll lose an eye doing it ...

Where’s the fun in picking fruit if you don’t get to use your Kevlar body armor ?‍♂️ Anybody can pull a pear off the tree but you separate the men from the boys when there’s a good chance you’ll lose an eye doing it ...
I am happy to stay a boy, stay alive longer :cheers:

It doesn’t want to be eaten!! It’s natures way of saying “don’t eat this, go eat an orange”.

That’s how I feel about the ocean.

That's the truth. We've seen more sharks this year than I've seen in my whole life.

A baby great white chased a friend of mine out of the water last week and he was only in 8' of water.

There's a pod of tropical killer whales attacking dolphins right off the shore...I never knew orcas could be tropical but perhaps they got into Matt's ganja and started listening to reggae:scratch:

That's the truth. We've seen more sharks this year than I've seen in my whole life.

A baby great white chased a friend of mine out of the water last week and he was only in 8' of water.

There's a pod of tropical killer whales attacking dolphins right off the shore...I never knew orcas could be tropical but perhaps they got into Matt's ganja and started listening to reggae:scratch:

WOW ? you can’t make this stuff up :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
don't start talking about sharks. we leave for NC this weekend and my mother is already on me about not letting the kids in the water and i got my wife telling me no fishing during the day. it's not like I'm chumming up the water either. i'm using sand flies and little tis pics of cut fish.

it does freak me out though.

i thought orcas don't leave that washington state orca island region. i didn't realize they come down to california. we have don trips to seattle and out to orca island over the years. those whale watching trips are awesome. we used to go out with a husband and wife who were scientists. just them and like 2 or 3 other people for the day. amazing the amount of whales we would get to see. amazing how they knew everyone of them by name looking at their fins coming out of the water. just amazing amazing creatures.

Reactions: bdavis466
don't start talking about sharks. we leave for NC this weekend and my mother is already on me about not letting the kids in the water and i got my wife telling me no fishing during the day. it's not like I'm chumming up the water either. i'm using sand flies and little tis pics of cut fish.

it does freak me out though.

i thought orcas don't leave that washington state orca island region. i didn't realize they come down to california. we have don trips to seattle and out to orca island over the years. those whale watching trips are awesome. we used to go out with a husband and wife who were scientists. just them and like 2 or 3 other people for the day. amazing the amount of whales we would get to see. amazing how they knew everyone of them by name looking at their fins coming out of the water. just amazing amazing creatures.
And they are ridiculously smart

Did you guys see this? Had that been me there would have been a brown trail of shark sugar propelling me forward?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.