Official 2018 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Brent - maybe...no sir I did not but it was tasty...

Matt I have tried the “other” rice and it is tasty. Let’s just say I’m transitioning :)

Ok guys, I need some help from the smokers out there....... I usually go with Marlboro Reds, but they are just getting so expensive.........

Oh, sorry, wrong kind of smoking:D

Smoking a 15 lb (I haven't trimmed it yet) brisket for my son's 3rd birthday party this weekend. Have a Weber Smokey Mountain. Just wondering, at 225, how long of a cook should I expect? (I'm planning ~18 hours) Any tips? I normally use hardwood lump but I've been reading that briquettes will give me more consistent heat for an overnight cook like this? First time I'v ever smoked a brisket, or overnight. Planning on a rub with salt, pepper, and perhaps some garlic powder. Should I brine the brisket? The girl I got it off of suggested that.

Any and all tips and input appreciated.

AT least an hour per pound. But you should really use a smoker and meat thermometer probe set. It’s critical to not undercook brisket (190F or less) or else its tough and chewy OR over cook it (212F or higher) where it becomes dry and tasteless. You also need to know when it reaches it’s stall temperature so you can pull it and tightly wrap it in foil (although some argue the crutch isn’t necessary). Only the first hour of smoke exposure counts, after that smoke is useless. I use my Egg smoker to fully cook briskets but you could easily smoke it and cook it up to it’s stall temperature and then bring it in house, wrap it (tightly!) and finish it in the oven.

Check out Meathead Goldwyn’s Amazing Ribs website and forum for all the science and tips for cooking beef brisket.

Definitely at least 1 hr per pound. I usually do 6.5 lb briskets and they usually take at least 9 hrs. The last brisket I did was 10 lbs and it took 18 hrs. Every brisket is different and it depends how long it stalls. I usually use 2 independent thermometers and 190 degrees to 195 degrees seems to be the sweet spot for me. Wrapping up in foil and towels and putting in a cooler for the last 2 hours is also very important. Good luck and post pics. [emoji482] btw I also keep a log of all the different meats I have cooked in the last 10 years so I know what works for us here in our local climate. I keep notes on outside temp as the different times of the year will change cook times.

Definitely at least 1 hr per pound. I usually do 6.5 lb briskets and they usually take at least 9 hrs. The last brisket I did was 10 lbs and it took 18 hrs. Every brisket is different and it depends how long it stalls. I usually use 2 independent thermometers and 190 degrees to 195 degrees seems to be the sweet spot for me. Wrapping up in foil and towels and putting in a cooler for the last 2 hours is also very important. Good luck and post pics. [emoji482] btw I also keep a log of all the different meats I have cooked in the last 10 years so I know what works for us here in our local climate. I keep notes on outside temp as the different times of the year will change cook times.

Not a bad idea to keep a log.. I'll have to try that!

For tomorrow!
6d7fd0d123331f449993543794bf1458.jpg

WSM is a fine smoker (I have one). Keep it low and slow at 225 and you will be done in 14-16 hours. Use the minion method for the coals and use some wood chunks!

- - - Updated - - -

Just finished scalping my yard over the last three days so I thought this was appropriate:)

6E344B6D-D993-40F6-808E-5AC3A2541C0F.jpg
FANCY LAWNMOWER BEER!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hows the brisket going? Does it look good? OK that was a trick question (if you looken you aint cooken) :)
Have you been able to hold temp?

Ok guys this is a very influential forum but here is my first cook on the camp chef flat top griddle. Left over country ribs. Looks like I have joined the ranks [emoji482]
f0400aedaa11a027b1129bf2c2164343.jpg

Interesting read on 'stall' which was a new concept to me- Understanding and Beating the Barbecue Stall, Bane of All Barbecuers, and How it Helps Create

Inspired by the BBQ threads my new electric smoker is awaiting assembly. Bison brisket will likely be its first assignment.

Yep, the Amazing Ribs site is one of the best resources on the internet for all things delicious! I also reference Serious Eats as well.

I did the crutch on the second brisket I ever smoked and I proved to myself that I could beat the stall. Ever since then, whenever someone wants brisket on the smoker, I use the crutch to get ‘er done! I also feelnit produces a much better finished product that’s a lot more moist.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.