Official 2018 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Rib eye cap steaks ?
4bbb8fb6c01189d572b1bd3a67cfb890.jpg

Fresh green beans sautéed with pancetta [emoji2] and Bernadine sauce [emoji108]

Four cheese Pierogies enjoy [emoji482]
132cfe0e0722f985e6e1fbd6a4c840ad.jpg

76d10b0eac898bf12cc8142dd4c00920.jpg

Roasted chicken stuffed with onions, garlic and rosemary from our garden! Nice little side salad and a Sam Adams Porch Rocker...

F76D52A1-0097-4A3D-BDC4-094277FE2575.jpg

Sausage & Peppers

To make up for my obvious faux pas with the mimosa incident, I am grilling up Italian sausage (hot & sweet) with onions and peppers. I’ve got some nice homemade marinara sauce on the stove.

869ED49E-4A2C-4659-B817-C793EE6D8F17.jpg

And judging by the grille flare, those sausages have a healthy amount of fat in them -

CC84A26D-F778-4F23-9176-41C8A37AF5FA.jpg

Here’s the sauce base -

F06969AB-3FB7-4F28-A08F-075F0DCE5EFD.jpg

I usually add the sausage to that and let it simmer for a little bit and then mix in the cooked peppers and onions. Here’s the final pot -

89B458D7-C9C9-4FE4-A4FD-04B126FD5B4C.jpg

Serve it over pasta or with a nice hunk of Italian bread. I’ll be eating sausage & pepper hoagies all week :D

As my Italian maternal grandmother (Nonna) would admonish my mother during Sunday supper -

Mangia, mangia! Linda, i tuoi bambini sono troppo magri!

(Eat, eat! Linda, you’re babies are too skinny!)

(Historical Note - I wore “husky” sized clothes my entire childhood....)

As my Italian maternal grandmother (Nonna) would admonish my mother during Sunday supper -

Mangia, mangia! Linda, i tuoi bambini sono troppo magri!

(Eat, eat! Linda, you’re babies are too skinny!)

(Historical Note - I wore “husky” sized clothes my entire childhood....)

This made me chuckle Matt as it was my mother-in-law to a T. Regardless if you were hungry or not, you’re eating. We live in a large Itialian/Polish are just about 30minutes west of Pittsburgh and I swear I’m the only one not related. We went into an Itialian deli one time where I stood with my 6’4” blond hair blue eyed self in line for some prosciutto. Older man came up, took one look at me, and loudly screamed out “Who let the German in!!!”

Still to this day my wife chuckles at the accuracy of that gentleman.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So apparently it was Italian night around AZ.

Growing up on the east coast, I hung around with all different nationalities, but mainly a lot of paesanos’. I had many a friends mother, or grandmother shoving food in front of me. (Right there with ya Matt on the pants) I picked up quite a few family recipes along the way, one of them is my baked shells.
It starts with a 10 hour slow cooked gravy and Sicilian style(spicy)meatballs, then I add ricotta with egg and seasonings, covered in mozzarella, and baked to perfection. (No self respecting Italian would be caught using “part skim milk” in any cheese!) Served up with a Caesar salad and warm Italian bread. Yum!!!

This made me chuckle Matt as it was my mother-in-law to a T. Regardless if you were hungry or not, you’re eating. We live in a large Itialian/Polish are just about 30minutes west of Pittsburgh and I swear I’m the only one not related. We went into an Itialian deli one time where I stood with my 6’4” blond hair blue eyed self in line for some prosciutto. Older man came up, took one look at me, and loudly screamed out “Who let the German in!!!”

Still to this day my wife chuckles at the accuracy of that gentleman.

I suppose you could be northern Italian but you’d have to learn to talk with your hands more and be very emotional....

So apparently it was Italian night around AZ.

Growing up on the east coast, I hung around with all different nationalities, but mainly a lot of paesanos’. I had many a friends mother, or grandmother shoving food in front of me. (Right there with ya Matt on the pants) I picked up quite a few family recipes along the way, one of them is my baked shells.
It starts with a 10 hour slow cooked gravy and Sicilian style(spicy)meatballs, then I add ricotta with egg and seasonings, covered in mozzarella, and baked to perfection. (No self respecting Italian would be caught using “part skim milk” in any cheese!) Served up with a Caesar salad and warm Italian bread. Yum!!!

Yeah, pretty much if you wander into any Italian home at supper time (aka, 1pm to 6pm) you don’t have to ever worry about being hungry....

Nice baked shells!! My mother makes a killer manicotti that’ll have you opening up a few notches on your belt when your belly is full ...

What in the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is “part skim” ???? You’ll be beaten with the wooden gravy spoon if you bring something like that into my mother’s kitchen....

I suppose you could be northern Italian but you’d have to learn to talk with your hands more and be very emotional....

:laughblue: Ain’t that the truth!!

Yeah, pretty much if you wander into any Italian home at supper time (aka, 1pm to 6pm) you don’t have to ever worry about being hungry....

Nice baked shells!! My mother makes a killer manicotti that’ll have you opening up a few notches on your belt when your belly is full ...

What in the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is “part skim” ???? You’ll be beaten with the wooden gravy spoon if you bring something like that into my mother’s kitchen....

Oh you’d be surprised, my wife is always trying to sneak in that part skim junk whilst shopping. I just give her the squirrelly eye look as I put it back. (And to boot, she’s 50/50 Italian and Irish. Yeah that’s a whole other discussion within itself.)

Had to change things up a bit. Spicy Asian pork on a bed of rice with green beans and nice glass of vino (showing my respect for the Italian food this weekend).

E56720D1-719D-48BE-A137-E5F336FA983B.jpg

Got it at the Asian market so it’s pre-packaged and seasoned. I add onions and jalapeños and red pepper flakes if I want extra spicy! Very tender and tasty cuts of pork...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.