Bbp

Jun 3, 2016
md
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Have been working on SLAM, last night out of bleach to add so FC was 13. This morning it was 11. We did have some rain overnight. Not sure how much. Can the rain cause loss of FC? Will try again tonight.

Thanks

Rain will not effect the FC that much. Be sure you have the pump running for at least 30 minutes prior to taking your water sample.

Pump has been running 24/7

Added the recommended bleach to get back to 16. Went out for a few hours, came back and it was at 8. Added the recommended bleach. Just checked again and at 10. Added more bleach. That's 10 jugs of 121oz 6% this afternoon and 2 more this morning. A ton yesterday and the day before. Water is clear, CC = 0.

Any ideas why it's burning through so much chlorine?

Was going to put in a quarter to test and see if I can see what side at the bottom of the deep end, but I spent them all buying bleach. Ugh

Update** It's tails. I found a quarter

Last edited:
A little more testing history would help. Checked your logs to see if I could find an obvious issue...
Looks like just need patience, bleach, brushing, testing...and more bleach.

Assuming you checked ladder, niches and all for algae?

Any known dead spots where you have poor circulation?

I probably haven't been doing the SLAM long enough and didn't realize you needed to check every couple of hours. Trying to do that now. FC was just at 15 and added more. Have the robot running around the pool now. Will check one more time this evening and see hope for less loss tomorrow morning. Went from 15 to 13 last night to this morning.

No ladders or anything, but there are lights. Lot's of loose tiles too that will be replaced next spring.

One dead spot at the bottom of the steps where some light dirt gets caught

Reactions: Msch99
No good way to get behind the tiles that I can think of besides pulling them off which I don't want to do yet. Looks bad enough with the amount missing already. Just need to get through this season. Next spring, new tiles, coping, and plaster.

Try putting full strength chlorine in a syringe and squirting it behind the tiles wherever you can. I think I'd do this as much as possible. I have dealt with lose tiles before, taking them all off was the best decision ever. The grooves in the thinset/mastic are perfect for catching algae where you can't see it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shrug... I like bleach for most things, so it sounds not so horrible to me. Just letting you know that if you can't get atop the algae/chlorine loss even with following exact SLAM, that eliminating any hidden algae is what you're looking at to remedy it.

You won't be able to see the algae, but the ones where you can see the grout missing you can just squirt it at the top and sides and hope gravity will help it find it's way behind the tile as best it can.

Do it from the pool, it'll be more fun that way.

Reactions: gonfishin
OCLT = 0 from last night to this morning.

I think in the last week I purchased around 50 jugs of bleach. I have 9 left.

New salt cell in installed. Going to let FC drop some then go back to salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.