OB in VEGAS - Another one!!!! :)

We have water!!!!! Been brushing and working to get the PH & TA down. After the fill the PH was 8.2 so I added a gallon and a 1/2 of acid and it brought it down to 7.5. Here are my numbers today:

FC:0
PH:7.5 (Just added more acid to get down to 7.1 to lower TA)
TA: 140
CH:175
CYA: 0
Salt: 200
CSI: -0.09

Its fun to see the positive change when adding the chems :)

IMG_0108.jpg

Looks great.

Now is actually a good time to use chlorine pucks or tablets. They will add a bit of FC, they are acidic to help the pH, and a bit of CYA. Get a floater to put a couple in. Do not put them in the skimmer as the concentrated chlorine coming out of your return jets can cause streaking in your new plaster.

Once you are past the initial plaster cure, use your test kit to measure CYA and then raise that to 50 and start to follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Take care.

I am actually surprised by your CH reading. Most of Las Vegas uses Colorado River water through LVVWD and the CH is closer to 250, at least for me here in Laughlin.

With our evaporation I would be careful in adding Calcium. You will be draining the pool every other year or so when your CH hits 1000ppm.

Take care.

Looks great.

Now is actually a good time to use chlorine pucks or tablets. They will add a bit of FC, they are acidic to help the pH, and a bit of CYA. Get a floater to put a couple in. Do not put them in the skimmer as the concentrated chlorine coming out of your return jets can cause streaking in your new plaster.

Once you are past the initial plaster cure, use your test kit to measure CYA and then raise that to 50 and start to follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Take care.

Thank you, I just got some yesterday and will put them in tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

I am actually surprised by your CH reading. Most of Las Vegas uses Colorado River water through LVVWD and the CH is closer to 250, at least for me here in Laughlin.

With our evaporation I would be careful in adding Calcium. You will be draining the pool every other year or so when your CH hits 1000ppm.

Take care.

I was surprised too and expecting much harder water but it has been steady around 175 since I tested the fill water. I am in northwest Vegas and I know we get some of our water from the Colorado and some from one the LV aquifers. I was thinking of bumping it up a bit but I definitely see your point regarding the evaporation.

My numbers tonight are as follows:

FC - 0
PH - 7.4 Added another gallon to get it to 7.2 and hopefully lower TA
TA - 140 This is being stubborn and hasn't changed much after about 4 gallons of acid.
CH - 175
CYA - 0
Salt - 200
CSI- -0.17
Temp - 69F

Thank you for all the input

We have water!!!!! Been brushing and working to get the PH & TA down. After the fill the PH was 8.2 so I added a gallon and a 1/2 of acid and it brought it down to 7.5. Here are my numbers today:

FC:0
PH:7.5 (Just added more acid to get down to 7.1 to lower TA)
TA: 140
CH:175
CYA: 0
Salt: 200
CSI: -0.09

Its fun to see the positive change when adding the chems :)

Just finished my pool and have been toying with the numbers for about 5 days. You aren't kidding! It is kind of fun to see it happening.

Looks great.

Take care.

Agghhh! Marty didn't tell me this about the puck/skimmer thing or I would have had those things out of there in no time. Must be a NV thing. :D Fortunately, I don't see any streaking from when the start up guy put those nasty things in my skimmer!

Thank you, I just got some yesterday and will put them in tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

I was surprised too and expecting much harder water but it has been steady around 175 since I tested the fill water. I am in northwest Vegas and I know we get some of our water from the Colorado and some from one the LV aquifers. I was thinking of bumping it up a bit but I definitely see your point regarding the evaporation.

My numbers tonight are as follows:

FC - 0
PH - 7.4 Added another gallon to get it to 7.2 and hopefully lower TA
TA - 140 This is being stubborn and hasn't changed much after about 4 gallons of acid.
CH - 175
CYA - 0
Salt - 200
CSI- -0.17
Temp - 69F

Thank you for all the input

My TA didn't change much either with in the first couple of days. I just saw my TA creep down after a couple of rise and falls of pH. It'll happen.

Have you put any pucks in yet to get your FC and CYA going?

Just finished my pool and have been toying with the numbers for about 5 days. You aren't kidding! It is kind of fun to see it happening.

Agghhh! Marty didn't tell me this about the puck/skimmer thing or I would have had those things out of there in no time. Must be a NV thing. :D Fortunately, I don't see any streaking from when the start up guy put those nasty things in my skimmer!

My TA didn't change much either with in the first couple of days. I just saw my TA creep down after a couple of rise and falls of pH. It'll happen.

Have you put any pucks in yet to get your FC and CYA going?

just tossed the floater in this am :) .. The directions I have say to start the chlorine on day 3. Planning on staying at the low end at 1.5 - 2 ppm and see how it does.

Hey all!!! Here are some updated photos:
Ive gotten into the 69deg water to install a few pop up heads I couldn't reach with the pole, brrrrrrrrrr it was cold now I know how BIG WILL feels haha.

Water Chem as of this morning:

FC= 2.0
PH - 7.4
TA - 110 Should I continue to lower it? I notice when I lower my PH yo 7.2 my CSI goes out of range to around -4.3 should I be concerned or just ACID - a way?
CH - 200
CYA - 35 after 6.5 lbs of the granuals
Salt - 200
CSI - 0.26
Temp - 69F

IMG_0110.jpg IMG_0109.jpg

I assume you meant that your CSI drops to -0.43? If so, not that big of a deal. If it concerns you, drop the pH to 7.4 instead.

I assume you still have some pH rise from fresh plaster. Your TA will drop some when you add acid for that. But you will still be adding fill water with higher TA.

Can you fill out a signature with some data on your pool and equipment? See Pool School - Getting Started

Take care.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I assume you meant that your CSI drops to -0.43? If so, not that big of a deal. If it concerns you, drop the pH to 7.4 instead.

I assume you still have some pH rise from fresh plaster. Your TA will drop some when you add acid for that. But you will still be adding fill water with higher TA.

Can you fill out a signature with some data on your pool and equipment? See Pool School - Getting Started

Take care.

Take care.

Thank you for the input mknauss, yes i I meant CSI. I just updated my sig thanks for the reminder :)

Thank you for the input mknauss, yes i I meant CSI. I just updated my sig thanks for the reminder :)

Great. Now in the lower left corner of the Quick Reply box, check the radio box next to Show your Signature.

Take care.

Jeev
Man your pool came out AWESOME!!!! And you still have a ton of room in your backyard to do whatever you want which is a beautiful thing in our area. Congrats on the build .
Now it's time for multiple swims with wet suits lol, my pool is only for aesthetics right now until the weather heats it back to 85+ degrees hahahaha

Thanks Will you got that right! It’s an expensive yard ornament for the next few months. I am using the TFP-100 kit I will update my dig. A quick question on the spa. I have 8 jets and two of them have suction when the spa is on? I tried searching but didn’t find anything on this. Is this an issue with the plumbing or just the spa nozzles, Any ideas on a fix? Thank you.

Thanks Will you got that right! It’s an expensive yard ornament for the next few months. I am using the TFP-100 kit I will update my dig. A quick question on the spa. I have 8 jets and two of them have suction when the spa is on? I tried searching but didn’t find anything on this. Is this an issue with the plumbing or just the spa nozzles, Any ideas on a fix? Thank you.

So this may be more of a question for Brian or another expert but I have nozzles that blow air and I have suction as well so those nozzle can circulate the water as well, however, the nozzles that suck water are not In line with the jets. They are located lower on the walls and have a bigger cover on them. As you can see my pool vocabulary is somewhat of a preschooler lol. Can you provide a picture so I can reference what your speaking of???
It doesn't sound right if the suction pipes are located right next to the jets

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.