Nuvo Technology Profile build out

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
I wanted to document my audio build out for my backyard. It was suppose to be a continuation of my whole home Nuvo Grand Concerto system, but because of wires I forgot to run when finishing my basement and the fix I had in place for it did not pan out to what I thought was suitable I am updating my Nuvo to the new Profile line and eventually the rest of the legacy setup I have. The backyard will be my experiment to see how I like it and how robust it is vs other solutions out there.

I know alot of guys love Sonos here, but I have been in the Nuvo camp for 10 years along with installing them for over 15 years. They are one of the most rock solid system I have ever used along with support that is second to none.

Some of the highlights which separate Nuvo Profile from Sonos is:

1. zone players which can be more than 1 zone in 1 box. They sell 3 zone units.
2. zone players also come in diff amp power handling and can handle speakers down to 2 ohm. this is impt for zones with more than 1 pr of speakers to get proper power output.
3. physical keypads which give full feedback. they are modified android tablets which get thier power due to no battery over ethernet. (POE) they run a modified version of android built for Nuvo's app but also can run other apps so my hope is to tie other present automation into thee keypads where used for ease of not having to go to a tablet as much.

I am just a fan of physical keypads. it's kinda like the debate of those who need to use a traditional remote for tv vs a app which had no hard buttons. I like being able to get in the shower and not have to grab a phone or tablet first. I just walk over to the keypad and I'm off. Same when we are cooking in the kitchen. It's just easier in our lives.

So the plan is add 2 players for 2 zones in basement rack out to pool house. the other zone is the outside patio which is actually on the grand concerto inside but it is getting moved over to a zone player so all outside zones are on 2 echosystem for ease of coordinating music outside and inside.

I also need to start adding POE switches to run keypads. 1 larger POE switch will be with the Legacy equipment due to the fact that 10 of the keypads will be in that rack. another POE switch will be placed in basement rack to control keypads used for pool zones.

So here is what my buddy was suppose to order this morning when placing other job orders.

zone players for 3 outside zones 3 of them cause they r in 2 diff locations:
P200 Wireless Player | Legrand

android keypad for main control of system. 1 will be in pool house. others will be placed in home where full control for main zones are needed. prob 1 per floor of the house.
7 Android PoE Touch Screen, BLACK | Legrand

these are secondary keypads which are married to a zone for vol and on and off for easy control. these will only be used in rooms where music is only used once in a while because music is running in another room. example at a holiday kitchen is playing and main area but we go to sit to eat so one in dining room where we can adjust volume only pretty much. these run over POE also not battery like other ones and are wired communication not wireless wifi like others out there for sonos control for example. that way u get no signal drops.

Nuvo P10 Keypad | Legrand

so that's what i got for everyone now. once i get everything in house we can learn together.

yes they are more than sonos players, but again i wanted physical keypads with feed back. only way to do that with sonos is with mounting a tablet and having to keep it charged and use it over wireless wifi. didn't want that route. i can go buy poe tablets from companies but i didn't want to worry about software issues down the road and support. Nuvo is committed to keeping their custom software updated which i know they will do cause of thier track record. also i wanted to go this route cause i needed the amp power for multiple pair of speakers on a zone. sonos technically can't handle it without an additional amp hooked up and at that point the price point is very similiar.

would love to know what you guys think.

Russound has a similiar system but their support is horrible. Their support of legacy product does not exist. So i didn't even consider them.

jim

Ok ya sorry thatcthere isn’t much action yet for those following. I’m waiting on my nuvo units. Everything was on back order.

My poe switch for the basement is suppose to come today along with my cat6a shielded. My speakers for just the pool house came yesterday with brackets. I’m still waiting on speaker wire which is backordered. No one stocks material anymore cause of overhead. It’s horrible.

I still haven't decided on pool speakers. I want to do an array but don’t know what company I want to use. Either triad or nuvo. I’m thinking. Unless I take the easy route and plop rock speakers in and call it a day.

So so that’s what’s up. My buddy also started to frame up the pool house so I have been dealing with changes here and there cause we have no plans. Just my sketches. Thank god me and him are on the same page and he knows what I like and don’t like so he changes things up on the fly.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out, I've never worked with Nuvo or seen it installed, I'll have to take a look into these. What speakers do you plan on using here? I am hoping to use the Bose Free space 51 for around the pool and then Crestron Air Crestron AIR SR4-B-T for the patio using Crestron AMP-2100 amplifier and Crestron AUD-EXT-100 analog audio extender and 2 Sonos Connect. This will be added later in the year or early next year, however I will prewire everything during the construction of the pool, the pool is over budget so my Audio will have to wait till the fall or early spring lol. This just gives me more time to think about what I will end up using, however at the moment I'm pretty set on the equipment I mentioned. I hope you can post a video link on how the system works when your done :)

We use Proficient for all inciting installs unless we need something custom and then it's Triad. Proficient has so many lines for cost so we can give customers a nice span of quality to pick from. My home is all the middle of the line cause for the money you can't beat them. The cheaper line can't really be pushed for outdoor use or larger rooms. I got the top tier with Kevlar drivers for the pool house cause it was a special that week and they were less than the ones I usually buy. Only reason I ended up with those cause like I said what we usually use for outdoors or larger rooms are more than enough.

for the pool I’m using an array from Nuvo most likely cause the triad array has to be used on their crown branded amps for dsp. So more cost for an amp that is already built into the nuvo . With the nuvo array I don’t need to use an off board amp with dsp control. Or if I’m just lazy by that point or out of money it’s going to be 4 rocks from proficient. Lol. Not tHat that’s a bad thing but I really want to do an array for the pool. The coverage is perfect that way.

I have the GC from Nuvo for the past 10 plus years. They r bullet proof. It's just time to get wit the times and get to know the new line. Plus cause I whoops and forgot to run speaker wire for the pool house I had no choice but to move over to the new system.

Are you already married to Crestron? If so then good move, but if you aren't there are sooooo many other cops you can be in for cheaper and ease of service. Crestron is such a closed ecosystem. If you plan on moving in that direction then totally go for it. But unless you plan on dumping tons and tons of money into growing the system you can do other things that will allow for more freedom. Crestron is awesome though.

Give me some idea of your wiring already there cause of using the audio extender. . . i don't know their line well. I just know you have to have access to install software for changes and such.

jim

Untitled by Jim, on Flickr

my 3 profile units and first keypad to play with came. again reason I am using 3 single zone units vs a single 3 zone unit is cause 2 are in basement for pool house and pool cause i can't but the system wit the rest of the zones upstairs and the 3rd unit is for my present patio zone which is part of the old system upstairs so equipment has to be in 2 different locations. I also only bought a single zone unit for the upstairs closet cause that closet is 10 zones so i will end up having at some point (3) 3 zone units and (1) 1 zone unit to run everything. So this is the 1 zone unit i need up here. I only bought 1 keypad so far cause I don't know how far I want to delve into android tablets all over my walls vs just 3 or 4 here and there and the single zone hard button ones for other zones. Cost is a big difference. My plan is touch screens in pool house to control the pool house and pool zone. The can control any zone. But 1 out there so I don't need to have a phone or tablet on myself. Then 1 touch screen on each floor of my house along with hard button keypads for all other zones minus the touch screen zones. So pretty much full control on each floor and then small keypads in each zone for on and off and vol changes as needed.

These tablets are also suppose to be able to run anything on google play store so i'm going to load all my other automation apps used in the house over iOS and see how i like the android version and see if i can use the wall tablets for automation duty also. If I can I might go full tilt with a tablet in every room and zone.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out, I've never worked with Nuvo or seen it installed, I'll have to take a look into these. What speakers do you plan on using here? I am hoping to use the Bose Free space 51 for around the pool and then Crestron Air Crestron AIR SR4-B-T for the patio using Crestron AMP-2100 amplifier and Crestron AUD-EXT-100 analog audio extender and 2 Sonos Connect. This will be added later in the year or early next year, however I will prewire everything during the construction of the pool, the pool is over budget so my Audio will have to wait till the fall or early spring lol. This just gives me more time to think about what I will end up using, however at the moment I'm pretty set on the equipment I mentioned. I hope you can post a video link on how the system works when your done :)

ok I just looked up the crestron stuff.

Here is is my thought.

1. The audio extender. You can buy them for anywhere between 20 to 200 dollars. If ur run is way away from electronic wires u can use a 20 dollar one and be fine. If u got some ground noise going on u might need a better quality one then more money but u will pay for the creation name with that one. It’s just ur typical audio over cat5 extender.

2. The amp. I googled it and I’m seeing it’s a lot. It’s a regular half rack amp. You can look to parasound or a million other companies and spend a lot less.

Like I said unless u r married to creation I would look around. The stuff u are us No aren’t networked to tie into their processors for iPad or control with other apps. So u can accomplish the same with other equipment since ur control for volume is going to be over the sonos I assume with running the amp in a fixed output mode? Was that ur thinking?

what is ur setup that u need the extender? The sonos in one area and the amp in another?

Plan for tomorrow is to install the players up in my closet to 3 zones in my house to learn the programming and to play. The keypad is getting a ghetto cat5 wire out of the closet across the floor to the kitchen to experiment with. If I’m blown away I might install it in the kitchen where my patio keypad is now and that will be my 1st floor keypad down the road and for now the patio and pool zone control if inside and need to control anything. I’m liking the idea of being able to control any zone on the wall so less keypads are needed but we will see. I might not like them and then I’ll just use portable iOS devices and hard button keypads on the walls only. I never used android.

Ok I got a lot done today. only setup my patio zone which is up in the closet with all the other zones. I didn't do the pool zones yet cause I'm going to get the custom faceplates from middle atlantic for the rack they will be in vs putting them behind faceplates and u can't se them then. So I got to order those next. I also need to get a way bigger POE switch for in the closet. I need 8 POE for al the keypads. I'll use this small one I bought in the rack downstairs cause I only have 2 POE keypads for the pool house and pool.

So. What I can say so far is they setup in like 20 seconds. Hit too buttons and they are instantly seen by the app with their own IP address. Hit like 3 buttons and u are off to the races. Key POE Android tablet is pretty slick. I have no idea how to move around android so I'm fumbling all over but I did manage to get my cameras working along with the pentair app. i need to find an android app for my vera which control all my lights, security, irrigation, and she other stuff. no android version for what i use on ios. i use iRule to control all my audio video in my house but i don't have an android build, only iOS builds. i can't see myself doing a whole android build cause it will take weeks. I'll just keep that on ios.

It's a pretty powerful system. I'm only using the stand alone units. I can't wait to get my hands on the 3 zone units which have all kinda audio tweets in it. the unit i'm using now is aimed at Sonos.

What Sonos has over it right now is with regards to Spotify. Sonos has a license agreement with Sonos for multiple streams for diff zones with 1 premium account. Nuvo had this on the music port and still does, but does not have it with the profile system here so I am stuck with 1 stream. They are in talks with Sonos as of right now I was told so it's coming. So the only way to get multiple streams in diff zones is with a family account right now which we will need.

They are also working on voice control which is coming. It will be a software update across all devices they offer vs a hardware with different equipment needed.

So here are some pics.

POE switch and that is the little box which allows me to control the grand concerto in iRule which is the app I use for my whole house.

back of unit. good quality

magnetic mount to get it surface mounted. the rare earth magnets they use are so strong so i'm glad about that. one thing i already told them is they need t get a bracket that has holes that line up with a single gang and double gang box so you don't have to make new holes in the wall!

POE

keypads for my kitchen and deck.

what it will look like when I add the keypad to be able to control the outdoor zones from inside.

app from an iphone

booting up

app from keypad tablet

i added a wallpaper from disney. i will say the screen doesn't even come close to an iPad screen or a newer iPhone screen.

camera app works. :)

pentair app works also. :)

oh and the most important app works!

lol quick access to my numbers for the pool! lol i had to see if it worked.

there ya go. phase 1 up and going.

ok I just looked up the crestron stuff.

Here is is my thought.

1. The audio extender. You can buy them for anywhere between 20 to 200 dollars. If ur run is way away from electronic wires u can use a 20 dollar one and be fine. If u got some ground noise going on u might need a better quality one then more money but u will pay for the creation name with that one. It’s just ur typical audio over cat5 extender.

2. The amp. I googled it and I’m seeing it’s a lot. It’s a regular half rack amp. You can look to parasound or a million other companies and spend a lot less.

Like I said unless u r married to creation I would look around. The stuff u are us No aren’t networked to tie into their processors for iPad or control with other apps. So u can accomplish the same with other equipment since ur control for volume is going to be over the sonos I assume with running the amp in a fixed output mode? Was that ur thinking?

what is ur setup that u need the extender? The sonos in one area and the amp in another?

I'm not really married to Crestron, however I did like the sound when they had this set up at a trade show last year. I wanted to put 2 Sonos connects to divide the patio from the pool, I sit on a bit over an acre and the pool will be about 30ft from the patio and I didn't want to have to blast music on the patio to be able to hear in the pool/spa. I plan on trenching a path to 4 locations around the pool/ river area and use outdoor rated speaker cable as I will have it in PVC buried, some portions will be under the pool deck I will definitely look around at some other options and compare. I do like your keypads, are those pre programmed or do you have to program them like you would a Crestron touch panel? I have seen a Control 4 set up, any experience with that? by the way your install is looking great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not really married to Crestron, however I did like the sound when they had this set up at a trade show last year. I wanted to put 2 Sonos connects to divide the patio from the pool, I sit on a bit over an acre and the pool will be about 30ft from the patio and I didn't want to have to blast music on the patio to be able to hear in the pool/spa. I plan on trenching a path to 4 locations around the pool/ river area and use outdoor rated speaker cable as I will have it in PVC buried, some portions will be under the pool deck I will definitely look around at some other options and compare. I do like your keypads, are those pre programmed or do you have to program them like you would a Crestron touch panel? I have seen a Control 4 set up, any experience with that? by the way your install is looking great!

i had my unit and keypad up and going in 2 mins.

so here is what i don't get. my a sonos connect and a crestron amp? why not just a sonos amp for each zone? you are spending a ton of money on the sonos and then an amp vs just a sonos with an amp already installed in the unit?

500 (sonos amp) vs 400 (sonos connect)+800 (crestron amp) or whatever for an amp.

no programming for the keypad. app just works and u add ur user names in for pandora, spotify, whatever u want. they have all sonos and other companies do. i added the other apps in minutes and they work.

you don't even need the keypad. if yu get crestron keypads u need a processor to control and program keypads and now you are out of the DIY area and into pro install companies and then the bills start to add up. plus u are married to crestron then when u start o use their controllers for keypads so anything else automation u add u will be using crestron or a company they partner with. with isn't a bad thing but it will no longer be DIY.

jim

- - - Updated - - -

Got ot have it all! NICE job! Not that understand even 10% of what you are saying :roll: LOL

Kim:kim:

lol just look at the pics. it's all good. i'm pretty much just trying to show the DIY crowd out there another option along with giving people a springboard to jump from if looking into audio for multiple zones and then can answer questions to help them out. not in the nuvo direction but any direction.

i own sonos pieces also and they were once integrated into my system. i only show nuvo cause i am pretty much married to them for the past 10-12 years and i know then inside and out.

kim! the pool app works! did you see that. that's all that matters really with all this! lol

I am awe of all you can do! Then the fact you are SO willing to help others and bring it down to their level aka my Kdg. mind LOL makes you a great guy once again!!! :hug:

thanks Kim! I love this stuff so this is just fun for me. Plus nothing to do cause all it does is snow here! Was supposed to be mentor day for the kids today for trout season and I don’t even think I’m going to be able rock get them out today!

- - - Updated - - -

Kim I am with you also:( Can you come to my house and install one of these? I will have lots of beer on ice for you:cheers:

lol thanks. Where u live? I’m always up for a beer! :cheers::cheers::cheers: Or 3!

Nuvo makes some nice consumer grade products that are easy to install and use. However Crestron products are just flat out awesome for integrating with other pieces of equipment throughout an entire system. And firmware updates and the ability to add just about anything on the touch panel make it nice for down the road changes.
I do commercial A/V installs for a living and have done numerous hotel, condominium and large event theater work. When it comes to outdoor speakers and the way they sound, hands down IMHO go with Bose. The Bose free space 51’s for around the pool area sound fantastic when you’re in the pool, and can be hidden in bushes, plant beds, etc.

As far as amp’s go, Crown amps deliver some serious bang for the buck!

Just my 2 cents. :)

~Rob

I'm trying to get back on this to add some other automation apps to see if they work or not, but my daughter has me making bracelets with her. I'm so not a craft person! lol

jim

Go make bracelets with your daughter.... time is so precious with your kids:eek:

Nuvo makes some nice consumer grade products that are easy to install and use. However Crestron products are just flat out awesome for integrating with other pieces of equipment throughout an entire system. And firmware updates and the ability to add just about anything on the touch panel make it nice for down the road changes.
I do commercial A/V installs for a living and have done numerous hotel, condominium and large event theater work. When it comes to outdoor speakers and the way they sound, hands down IMHO go with Bose. The Bose free space 51’s for around the pool area sound fantastic when you’re in the pool, and can be hidden in bushes, plant beds, etc.

As far as amp’s go, Crown amps deliver some serious bang for the buck!

Just my 2 cents. :)

~Rob

we use crown a lot also. They r very solid. I was saying crestron wasn’t the best idea for the above setup cause he isn’t going to completely blanket his home with crestron. You can accomplish the same with other stuff bit like I said if it’s going to grow it makes good sense.

He won’t be able to diy crestron either which it sounded like he was going to.

We we have used grand concertos on many commercial restaurants. They work well for settings like that. But again hey r a audio company vs automation company.

I was showing how powerful the new keypads can be for diy people. It was a nice suprise with their new line.

Jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.