Not happy with tile choice-advice please! UPDATE: Pool is finished!

Rachelmarie

Bronze Supporter
Sep 14, 2018
Tampa
When we chose the tile in the pool builder showroom it looked like it was pretty much an exact match to the pavers we picked out. We really wanted it to look the same and did not want a contrast. The only contrast we wanted was the pool water color. After they were installed they looked totally different than the showroom which I assume was due to the lighting. It definitely is the same tile. I was just curious if anyone knew how much it would cost to have that tile removed in the future and replaced with say something like stone? I know prices will vary due to what type of material we choose but just trying to get a ball park so I know if I end up not getting used to this tile I can swap it out for something else at some point. Our pool is 10.5 x 22 feet and also has a 5 x 7 spa. Also is it a big project to have done? Does the pool need to be completely drained to do something like this or just partially drained below the tile?

I am hoping once the plaster and water are in it won't be as drastic but I do not like how when I look at it now my eyes are drawn to the tile. It is the complete opposite of what I wanted.

Here are pictures to show what it looked like in the showroom versus how it looked installed:

20180628_210416.jpg20181020_154202.jpg

Re: Not happy with tile choice-advice please!

I would be changing it now if u wanted. No way they can redo tile without the pool drained I would assume. It’s a pretty messy job. U would also have to protect the plaster but I don’t even know if u could cause u should lot keep plaster out of water for a period of time. I’m sure others will chime in but I would say it’s now or when u replaster years from now.

We also went with a non contrasting, neutral waterline tile. At first I thought it looked really off but now I love it. A similar tile will look different laid vertically as opposed to horizontally and then there can often be quite a variation from the sample. I would say if you have found a tile that you are sure will work better, then replace now. If not you may end up with a tile that you dislike even more. Now is the time to change though if it’s what you want.

Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure I want to take it out now due to the cost. We already spent more than we had anticipated on the pool so we have to stop the bleeding at some point. I guess I was just thinking a few years down the road if I felt like we had the extra money maybe we could do something different if it wasn't a huge project but it sounds like it would be. The plaster is pebble sheen and has a life time warranty so I would hope we would not have to redo it at anytime. I guess at this point I can just hope when the water goes in it will blend better and not be as big of a contrast. I was just surprised at how different it looked from the showroom. I do not necessarily think it looks bad but just not what I had envisioned.

Fix/change now or find your peace with it. Saying that I like it how it is now. The colors go well together AND no one else will even notice it when they see your pretty water in that pool!

Kim:kim:

We have decided the more we look at it the more its growing on us. It does compliment the paver colors well and that is true that when the bricks are wet that will also change the look which happens a lot with the rain here in Florida. Also I feel like the color pebble sheen we picked (blue granite) will compliment the color nicely. Thanks everyone for the feedback it helped me feel better about everything!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

now that i'm on my computer vs phone the color is fine i feel also.

cause changing it later would be a huge project.

i like ur pavers a lot! they colors are very very nice in them. really really nice! on my phone everything looks so different compared to my editing computer for my camera.

like kim said find peace or rip em out! lol but i think u are good! good luck!

also just as a side note having plaster last is all about chemical balance with the proper testing kit and care. without it no matter what kinda plaster u have it will fail. and also just because it has a lifetime warranty doesn't mean it will last forever.

i will say friends of ours parents white plain ol plaster is 35 years old and it is still the original. does it need to be redone because it's rough and has a lot of marking? yes but it is not falling off there are no cracks and no leaking cause they cared for it as best as they could and they got 35 years out it.

test, balance, care for it and it will last as long as it can.

jim

FWIW I think that tile looks great. Also, everything will look COMPLETELY different to you once it's all cleaned up and water is in the pool. I think you'll be happy with the end product.

We have decided the more we look at it the more its growing on us. It does compliment the paver colors well and that is true that when the bricks are wet that will also change the look which happens a lot with the rain here in Florida. Also I feel like the color pebble sheen we picked (blue granite) will compliment the color nicely. Thanks everyone for the feedback it helped me feel better about everything!

Thats a very good point about the bricks getting wet! I’m glad you’re feeling better about it today.

now that i'm on my computer vs phone the color is fine i feel also.

cause changing it later would be a huge project.

i like ur pavers a lot! they colors are very very nice in them. really really nice! on my phone everything looks so different compared to my editing computer for my camera.

like kim said find peace or rip em out! lol but i think u are good! good luck!

also just as a side note having plaster last is all about chemical balance with the proper testing kit and care. without it no matter what kinda plaster u have it will fail. and also just because it has a lifetime warranty doesn't mean it will last forever.

i will say friends of ours parents white plain ol plaster is 35 years old and it is still the original. does it need to be redone because it's rough and has a lot of marking? yes but it is not falling off there are no cracks and no leaking cause they cared for it as best as they could and they got 35 years out it.

test, balance, care for it and it will last as long as it can.

jim

That is good advice. Thanks!

Have the pavers been sealed? You can enhance and/or deepen their color a bit, if you want...

Did they leave you any uninstalled pavers? Or can you get some? Experiment first on those...

Did they leave you any uninstalled pavers? Or can you get some? Experiment first on those...

They did leave behind some of the coping bricks which is the same color. They have not done the decking yet so hopefully we will have extra from that as well to experiment with. I tried dumping some water on the bricks and it did make a huge difference in the color and it flowed so much better with the tiles. So I think I will be happy once the pavers are sealed. Its just a matter of deciding what type of sealer will look best.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.