Not happy with tile choice-advice please! UPDATE: Pool is finished!

Re: Not happy with tile choice-advice please!

Exactly. There are enhancers and sealers that will make your coping and pavers look like they look when wet. Just a caution: experiment on the exact material you will be altering, not something else "which is the same color." Anything that affects color can do so differently from one material to another.

I would leave it as it is. You are unlikely to ever get an exact match between two separate products. Trying to get it to match now with coatings, sealers and even replacement tile, will only make it more obvious that it was a failed attempt to blend the two colors. Keep it with a contrast like it is and no one will ever think it was not planned that way from the start.

I would leave it as it is. You are unlikely to ever get an exact match between two separate products. Trying to get it to match now with coatings, sealers and even replacement tile, will only make it more obvious that it was a failed attempt to blend the two colors. Keep it with a contrast like it is and no one will ever think it was not planned that way from the start.

A most excellent point. Even if one could achieve a perfect match, would the colors age the same?

That is true. Good advice! We will be sealing our pavers anyway to protect them but I think either way it will end up looking good and I will be happy with it once it is completed. I just had this idea in my head the whole time so I had to get used it not being that way.

So we have been staring at this tile and we couldn't get it out of our heads that it is the wrong tile. I went to the website for the tile maker and found another tile which was a different name from the one we selected that looks EXACTLY like the tile that was installed in our pool. I am pretty confident they screwed up and put the wrong one in. Here is the link for the tile I think they put in:

Piccole Dolomiti - Noble Tile Supply

The tile called Trentino brown is the one I think they put in by mistake. If you go back and look at the pictures of my pool I posted and compare it I think you will agree. I am taking a left over tile with me to the showroom today to compare in person to confirm before I contact our superintendent. If this is confirmed does anyone know how much time this might set us back taking it out and having another tile installed? I know in the long run it will be worth the wait to get the tile we wanted but we were really hoping to have our pool done by Thanksgiving.

I think you could be right. Did they leave any boxes laying around or do you have any leftovers of the tiles they used? Might help formally identify them. Perhaps you could email the company with a close up photo and ask if they could confirm the name of the tile. Let us know how you go.

I think you could be right. Did they leave any boxes laying around or do you have any leftovers of the tiles they used? Might help formally identify them. Perhaps you could email the company with a close up photo and ask if they could confirm the name of the tile. Let us know how you go.

We could not find the box but they did leave behind tiles so I am taking one with me to compare. It is hard to tell from looking at a computer screen versus in person so I guess its still possible I am wrong but my husband and I remember the tile looking very different when we picked it out. I am heading over there shortly so I will update when I get back.

We could not find the box but they did leave behind tiles so I am taking one with me to compare. It is hard to tell from looking at a computer screen versus in person so I guess its still possible I am wrong but my husband and I remember the tile looking very different when we picked it out. I am heading over there shortly so I will update when I get back.

Excellent! I hope you get a definite answer.

Re: Not happy with tile choice-advice please! UPDATE: The tile is not the right color

Ok the tile definitely looks more brown than the sample we looked at in the showroom and the sales girl we worked with agreed. She said she will get with our superintendent and check the tile they sent out. I am worried they will try to say that is just a color variation and that is normal. I am not accepting this and they will redo it for us. Here are the pictures I took today. The sample tiles in the show room are the two tiles on the black board and the single tile next to it is what they installed. Do you guys agree they should redo this for us based on the difference? This does not seem like a matter of a little color variation to me. The issue is the brown in the tile they installed overtakes everything else and when we look at it all we see is brown which is NOT the color we were going for.
20181024_101325.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Not happy with tile choice-advice please! UPDATE: Tile is not the right color

If they did indeed install the wrong tile then the right thing to do is to remove the current tiles and install correct ones at no charge to you. It will cause a delay in the process but mistakes do happen. Keep us updated!

Re: Not happy with tile choice-advice please! UPDATE: Tile is not the right color

Those look completely different to me. One is a gold tone the other a red.

If they give you any "variation" excuse...

Did you order by some sort of number or name (was it documented anywhere?), and do they stock that style? Have them bring out a box of the tile you wanted/ordered and challenge them to find one in the box that varies enough to match the tile they installed.

If that doesn't work, get the manufacturer of the tile involved and have them confirm or deny that they are shipping tiles of that style with that kind of variation. You could try emailing them that same image.

I do see tones of the browns in the upper-most tile in the other two (very slight), but don't see any of the red of the lower two in the upper one.

IMO, if both the tile setter, and the PB, don't bother to confirm with the customer that the tile delivered is satisfactory, on site, before it is installed, then they are on the hook afterwards for customer satisfaction, even if it is determined that it is a variance or lot color issue. That is quality assurance 101: customer approval. Now if they did that, and you OK'd the tile, then you've got a problem in terms of who pays for the fix...

So I still haven't heard back from our PB about the tile but I reached out to the tile manufacturer and sent them the pictures comparing the show room sample to what was installed and they are telling me this is a normal color variation. That is absolutely ridiculous to me. So basically we are screwed and stuck with it unless we want to foot the bill to rip it out. I told the PB no one warned us verbally about this and he stated it's in the contract we signed that there can be variance. I'm furious right now. Its not that it doesn't look ok but it is not the look we were going for. I dont know what else we can do at this point and I have to imagine it will be costly to take out.

yeah, natural stone products all come with that "warning" for the most part. not much you can do, but pay to have it redone.

yeah, natural stone products all come with that "warning" for the most part. not much you can do, but pay to have it redone.

I guess I should have read through the contract word for word but no one told me this, in fact our sales girl knew we wanted a tile to be a close match to our pavers and we put them together in the showroom and she said what a perfect match they look were made to go together. Not once did she warn us that it might come looking completely different. If I knew that I would have put that tile back and picked something more safe.

I would probably try to fight this, what do you have to lose?

Yes, the contract says there are natural variations in color. But it has to be reasonable variations. If someone orders a red tile, you could not give them a gold tile and claim it's a natural variation. Not sure how those tiles look in real life, but on my computer screen, I don't think any reasonable person would look at those two tiles and consider it just a natural and normal variation. When people buy tiles of that type, with the variated pattern and color, the underlying tone is critical in the tile choice. A red tone and a gold tone are two very different things.

But u don’t have stone right? It’s tile? So the color should be very similar unless they changed color lots. Which happens sometimes yearly. I just ran into the same problem with my pavers a full truckload came with what looks to be the wrong color and where I bought them said maybe they change the color a lo I just ran into the same problem with my pavers a full truckload came with what looks to be the wrong color and where I bought them said maybe they change the color lot. I called the manufacturer and they said they didn’t I sent them pictures and they also pulled my ordering slip for when they loaded the truck and I got lucky that it didn’t show that the guy who loaded loaded the wrong color so I got lucky but if I didn’t call the manufacturer the place I bought the Matt might’ve pushed that there was a Color lot change.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.