Not able to lower phosphates and not sure why

Feb 25, 2011
Dallas Texas
Water is balanced and has been for some time now because I keep a watchful eye on it.
BUT phosphates are around 3200ppm on fresh water 8700 gallon pool. Free CL is 3.7, PH 7.6, TA 110, CH 225, CYA 100.
DE filter was just cleaned as well.
Water looks good, nice and clear with occasional alge growth due to not brushing on a daily basis.

Using the prescribed dose of Natural Chemistry PRO SERIES Phos Remove of 4 oz.

Check water next day and phosphates read the same (~3200ppm).

Testing with test strips and got checked for verification at Leslie's as well.

I am baffled. I have always been able to knock down the phosphates before using PRO SERIES Phos Remove but not this time.

What in the world is going on???

Water is balanced and has been for some time now because I keep a watchful eye on it
(y)
Testing with test strips and got checked for verification at Leslie's as well
(n)(n)(n)
What in the world is going on???
👇
Free CL is 3.7, CYA 100.

Get a reliable test kit and take control of your pool. Follow the FC/CYA Levels religiously, never approaching minimum and phosphates will be irrelevant. Switch to liquid chlorine to stop the CYA from going sky high, requiring higher and higher levels of FC to sanitize the pool.

We will gladly help you at every step of the way.

You can do this and we got you. :)

Tink,

You either have algae or you don't.. There is no such thing as "occasional" algae.. :)

If you have to brush each day to knock the algae down, then you have a chemical issue..

You have been a member here since 2011, but it appears to me that you do not follow any of our recommendations... :scratch:

You need to kill the algae before you try to remove the phosphates..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: goody222
Above advice is spot on! A SLAM may be in order to address a recurring algae problem.

Then maintain FC at higher levels, not what the pool store tells you. Like you, I also try to keep phosphates in check as an insurance policy, as I’ve had a minor algae outbreak even when keeping FC in the 7-9 range. See link below. The Orenda product works well.

Reactions: Newdude
Tink,

You either have algae or you don't.. There is no such thing as "occasional" algae.. :)

If you have to brush each day to knock the algae down, then you have a chemical issue..

You have been a member here since 2011, but it appears to me that you do not follow any of our recommendations... :scratch:

You need to kill the algae before you try to remove the phosphates..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the kind words Jim. I do not have alge. Anything else you would like to add that is helpful?

Thanks for the kind words Jim. I do not have alge. Anything else you would like to add that is helpful?
Yes. You are thetinkerer and we are giving you the green light to get your tinker on.

But you and us both need good data to work with. (And you’ll LOVE the feeling like a chemist with the test kit).

So step one is obviously the test kit. Step 2 is to rule out algae as you have an unknown time at unsafe sanitary levels. To do so you Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. The sun consumes most of your FC and the overnight test takes it out of the equation. If you lose FC overnight (and presumably with no swimming in that span), then you have algae that needs to go. First because it needs to go and second because it messes up your phosphate test.

With algae free water you will follow the FC/CYA Levels and if the FC holds you are like the 99% that never need to worry about their phosphate levels. If you do notice it difficult to hold FC afterwards, then we treat with a non-watered down pool store brand. (With exaturated prices to match). They hit you twice. It’s watered down so you need much more AND it’s more expensive ta boot. It may even be harmful with other additives for a third strike.

Post a full set of current test results from one of the recommended test kits and we can help you get rid of your "occasional" algae - and keep it away if you follow the TFP methods.
Test Kits Compared
FC/CYA Levels
SLAM Process
Recommended Levels
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temperature

Don't bother to post your Leslies/PS results - we won't offer advice based on PS results.

Also, fill out your signature with your pool, pool equipment (including manufacturer and model numbers) and test kit info. This will help us to better help you.

If (big IF) you choose to treat for phosphates, the expensive watered down stuff they sell at Leslies will only work well to separate you from your money. One you get your pool chemistry in line with TFP recommendations, then (and ONLY then), look into treating for phosphates. And if you do choose to treat for phosphates, use a quality product.

I think Jim’s point might be that your CYA and CL level is so far outside of what TFP recommends it seems strange that you’ve been a member so long and not realized that. Additionally, having to brush every day to knock down stuff is a sure sign that there’s algae. I don’t ever need to brush when I’m following the CYA/FC recommended levels. Keeping the FC higher and lowering your CYA level will free up a lot of your time since you won’t need to brush so much or worry about phosphates.

Reactions: borjis

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.