Non Hayward automation for Hayward VS pump

Thanks Rancho. I'm just up the hill from you in the high desert. In the process of building a solar panel array for the new cement pond. Going to need some automation.
Lots of options and help available here. Here is a more advanced DIY automation system. It's beyond my skill set...

Scroll through the Wiki topics for help on automation and solar heating systems.

I'm looking for an automation system that can work with my Hayward VS950 that I can purchase and install myself. I'm fine with using relays to select pump speeds (3 relays = 8 speeds). I'd like to add SWG to my pad and I'm setting up a solar panel array. I'm considering diy using sonoff or an easytouch just because someone will actually sell me one. I'll probably get a pentair pump once this hayward dies which is probably several years off. Are there any systems I haven't considered or heard about? I have pool/spa and hayward H400 heater so switching modes, solar, heater, SWG and pool/yard lights are on the list. Also access from phone/tablet/PC and alexa or similar. Any advice is appreciated.

I don't know much about the Hayward VS pumps, but it looks like they can be connected to external relays for control of at least 3 speeds.

1661110599418-png.448248

Take a look at my low budget DIY automation set-up for some ideas (link in my sig). @rstrouse can provide guidance on the nodejs-poolController if you go that route. @Jimrahbe can assist with Easy Touch automation.

Reactions: strategy400
The Hayward relay controls are not 1 to 1. If more than one step is triggered then it will perform up to 8 speeds. This is much different than the SuperFlo pumps where the number of speeds are determined by the number of relays. Getting this to work on EasyTouch will severely limit your speeds and there is no way to trigger relays exclusively so there is that. njsPC supports the RS485 capabilities of this pump as well as the 8 speed relay settings. With IntelliCenter you could assign the speeds to groups so that the correct relays are triggered but given the way you can override these groups it would be overly complicated.

Reactions: strategy400
The Hayward relay controls are not 1 to 1. If more than one step is triggered then it will perform up to 8 speeds. This is much different than the SuperFlo pumps where the number of speeds are determined by the number of relays. Getting this to work on EasyTouch will severely limit your speeds and there is no way to trigger relays exclusively so there is that. njsPC supports the RS485 capabilities of this pump as well as the 8 speed relay settings. With IntelliCenter you could assign the speeds to groups so that the correct relays are triggered but given the way you can override these groups it would be overly complicated.
njsPC requires knowledge of javascript? I can do that. I'm also fluent in C, C++, C#, VB, Java etc. Are there any opportunities to use these languages?

Actually njsPC is written in Typescript on a nodejs runtime but to get what you want to do, no coding is actually required. It supports the Hayward pump out of the box. I am unclear do you already have a controller or are you looking to build one? If you have a controller you need to add a second RS485 (which njsPC also supports) and connect the pump to that since you may only have one master per RS485 bus. This too is simply going through the UI and setting up the system. njsPC will bridge the communication between the equipment buses and command the pump to operate based upon the state configuration for the system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Install njsPC and dashPanel then configure your system. The software can control input probes and sensors, color lights, circuits, features, heaters, pumps, chlorinators, chemistry controllers, and valves without having to program anything. Heck you can try it out without anything connected to it to simulate your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.