Newly Installed Hayward Gas Heater (advice on opening pool with)

Apr 24, 2017
Miamisburg, OH
Greetings all! With the recent events, and having the fam stuck here at the house nearly ALL THE TIME, we decided we'd add a gas heater the pool so we can open a bit earlier and enjoy more swim time this season (and hopefully many to come). There was a heater previously installed, but this was before I acquired the home a little over 3.5 years ago. I had the old one removed and capped the old 3/4" gas line a couple years ago, as it has burnt out and was basically sitting there rusting away. This week, I had a great plumber out here who took time to answer my questions, and gave me a great install price. Unfortunately, I forgot to ask some specifics about what to do when opening with this new Hayward H200FDN heater connected.

Anyway, here are some questions I had.
(My apologies if this was covered elsewhere in the forums - I searched but could not find specifics to my questions addressed.):

Before I begin heating, I know I need to first get the pool chemistry adjusted properly, but when I first turn on the pump and start shocking, and filtering the water as I normally do when opening, do I need to actually have power to the heater turned on? Is it OK/appropriate just to leave the switch on the wall "Off" and circulate water through everything, or is it important to have the power on and set to "STANDBY"?Any other tips you all can give for this first open with the new heater? First firing up tips? I plan on starting the opening/ shocking this weekend. Fingers crossed.

- FWIW, I do not have a bypass plumbed in (plumber said Hayward asked him to stop doing that for owner/operator error situations with warranties etc)
- I have a solar cover and plan on using it in conjunction with this heater (nights are still getting quite cold here in OH)
- I have an older pool (one retuRn, one skimmer). The line that goes under ground is the old poly flex (black) pipe. No issues with that so far, but I know it is older.

I appreciate everyone's time and thank you in advance for any help you can offer this newbie gas heater owner.

Attachments

• 2020-04-16 14.36.23.jpg
    2020-04-16 14.36.23.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 2020-04-17 14.32.15.jpg
    2020-04-17 14.32.15.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 2020-04-17 14.32.27.jpg
    2020-04-17 14.32.27.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 14
Water flows through your heater the entire time your pump is running. Power on or off on your heater does not matter.

Just keep your pH above 7 and your water chemistry will be fine for the heater. Low pH is what kills a heater core.

Reactions: 18Wheeler
Funny thing, I did the same thing. COVID was a great reason to finally bring the heater back.

Make sure your chlorine is in a good place before you start heating, I noticed the first time I heated my pool the chlorine dropped rapidly as all the old junk was brought back to temperature. You don't want to burn gas to turn your pool green!

Make sure your chlorine is in a good place before you start heating, I noticed the first time I heated my pool the chlorine dropped rapidly as all the old junk was brought back to temperature. You don't want to burn gas to turn your pool green!

Let me state that differently. Make sure your pool water passes an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and is algae free.

Algae can be dormant in cold water and start multiplying rapidly when the water temperature increases.

Nice installation, I have an older 400k version and have heated my 20k pool a few times for parties etc. I was actually surprised my natural bill only went up around $20 and it ran for a good 30 hours:)

Thanks! Yeah, fortunately natural gas is pretty cheap here right now. I figure getting it up to a decent temp will take me longer, but hopefully the solar cover will keep things from cooling back off as quickly once we are ready to jump in. In the summer, it’ll be a non issue as the temps get much higher here in summer. Can’t wait.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.