Newbie, looking for saltwater capable above ground pool

Hello all,
We are new to this forum and new to living in Lakeland, FL. We have 4 kids that really, really want a pool, we cannot afford an inground, so we're looking at our cheapest option above ground but we'd like to sink it in the ground halfway and would like it to be saltwater compatible. The local pool store here recommended a frog leap system, which I quickly found out here is not a good option. They priced a 27' round for us at just under $4,000 with everything included (frog leap system, vacuum, ladder etc), except installation which would be about $500. I'd really like to go saltwater but do we have to buy a pool that is rated for saltwater? I'd hate to spend a few thousand on a pool that rusts in a few years. Any specific pool recommendations and where to buy?

Well lets get those boys a pool!

You have two things work "worry" about-Salt water and buried. The words you want to look for are "resin" and "covered under warranty if buried". The resin will apply to the upright (part that helps hold the wall up), top and bottom rails (parts that the walls sits in), top rails, ect. The screws should all be top quality stainless steel. There are different grades of stainless steel so make sure you learn what is good and not so good as far at stainless.

When I did a search for salt water, buried above ground pools here is what came up: Semi-Inground Pools | Royal Swimming Pools There are others. I am just posting the first one I saw to get you started in the right direction. Please note what they say to look for in a buried pool.

I don't know what your wallet looks like so once you see something your wallet likes get back with us so we can help you pick out the best equipment for it.

Happy swimming!

Kim:kim:

Trevi makes a pool that is saltwater compatible. I do not think it is made any better than the resin Doughboy that I also looked at, but Trevi says you can run a saltwater system on some of their pools without voiding the warranty. Here is the pool I have that salt water compatible.
trevi.jpg

I had a vague recollection from my scuba diving/ocean sailing days, I knew there were two most common types (there are others) and one was better for the ocean than the other. I had to look it up to confirm. Found a website that described it pretty well (I paraphrase it a bit here):

304 stainless steel is the most common type used. It has a bright shine due to a high level of chromium and nickel. It's also very resistant to corrosion and rust, although it's susceptible to corrosion caused by exposure to salt.

316 is the second most common type of stainless steel, and its alloy includes an additional element, molybdenum, which increases its resistance to corrosion caused by salt and other chemicals.

Though richierich's solution, an all resin pool, sounds like the way to go, if by "all resin" that means no metal. Even 316 will succumb to salt eventually. And if you want to speed up the process, bury it underground.

My pool was installed by the previous owner of this house. I have no idea what brand it is, but based on stories told by my neighbors and evidence of other projects done around this house there is a good chance it "fell off the back of a truck" and to quote my neighbor "he did all of his projects in under a day, and they usually involved a case of beer"

I highly doubt my pool is salt water certified or whatever they call it. However, in my research about switching to a SWG this season, I have come to the conclusion that it really does not matter.

Yes, salt will speed up corrosion, but with the levels in the pool, it is not that much faster. Even with a resin pool, the walls are made of metal and will rust (unless you spring for a Radiant pool)

If you are trying to preserve a warranty, then by all means look at one that is warrantied for salt water.

I would be more concerned about burying it. There are a lot less AGPs that don't have their warranties voided by burying, and burying speeds up rusting way more than salt water will.

-dave

Often overlooked: all pools are salt water pools eventually. Obviously, when you add 3500ppm of salt for the SWG, you get a big jump start. But chlorine, acid, humans, etc all add salt to your pool, and it builds up over time. My pool, before I installed my SWG, at 5-years-old, had enough salt in it to be a SWG pool!

SWG or no, it's prudent to build your pool and surroundings as corrosion-resistant as possible, but no need to go overboard just for salt, as phonedave points out, the level of salt is still very low (pretty much the same as tears, as opposed to the ocean, which has 10x the salt of a SWG pool). He's also correct: burying it will be the eventual demise of the structure, long before salt gets to it. If it were mine, and I was determined to bury it, I'd take the effort to build up the coating somehow, even with paint if I couldn't come up with anything better. Not much you can do about the inside of the framing, though, if that's not accessible. That's if it's metal. Again, "all resin" seems promising, for both the salt and the burying issue.

Should partially buried AG pools be backfilled with some sort of drain rock? Follow Kim's lead and search here at TFP for the answers. Surely someone here (probably many) have already figured all this out.

The warranty business is probably based on all the SWG myths floating around, which are as resistant to truth as all the other pool myths.

A steel wall pool is only as rustproof as its finish. I don't believe having an SWG speeds up or slows down that process. If you want a little extra insurance spray the inside of the pool wall with a coat of rust inhibitor and let it dry before you install the liner. Since you want to bury it I would spray the exterior of the wall with rust inhibitor as well. Make sure you put in french drains or some other system the moves water away from the base of the pool whether inground or on ground.

As far as warranties go, even if the pool company covers rust damage to the wall, they prorate the value and charge for shipping. The warranty comes from the manufacturer, not the store that sells the pool, so it may be shipped across country or in my sister's case, from Canada. Shipping costs can be as much or more than the cost of the wall. In most cases you are better off just buying a new pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thepoolfactory.com has models that are saltwater and can be buried. The Saltwater 8000 is the one I can think of right now. Doughboy's hydrosphere can be partially or fully buried and is rated for saltwater. Radiant makes some really nice pools that can be buried. You can find quite a few if you search on here. The Saltwater 8000 is probably one of the cheapest, especially if you shop around late January or February. Good luck with your search. I'm planning (hoping) for a partial bury of a saltwater pool next year.

Here is the one I just installed. Salt water approved by the manufacturer, with a 60 year warranty.

http://www.familypoolfun.com/shop/a...-regency-54-resin-above-ground-pool/riviera18

Notice what the description says

A true round resin top rail in rich chocolate hues creates a sophisticated, up-scale look guaranteed to impress the neighbors. This unique top rail is also impervious to water and chemical damage. U.V. inhibitors imbedded in the resin provide additional protection. Resin bottom rails, stabilizers and bottom and top plates protect the pool from harsh salts used in modern chlorine generators. Advanced steel wall coating techniques will virtually eliminate corrosion. The pool wall is protected by a patented PlastiGuard coating process that ensures it will never rust, and the bottom will never corrode where it contacts the ground. The Riviera Regency uses extra thick gauge steel in its 6 inch wide uprights and wall, and the beautiful non-corroding top rail is injection molded for superior strength. The Riviera Regency pool is super strong and assembles seamlessly with an excellent fit and finish.

The warranty on that pool specifically states that the pool has resin rails, and metal wall and uprights. It says the metal parts are "virtually" rust proof. The the warranty limitations below specifically excludes corrosion of metal parts due to a SWG (subsection f). I would also hazard a guess that if you put bonding lugs into the uprights (likely required by local code) that would constitute altering the design of the pool in section g - voiding the entire warranty

LIMITATIONS OF THE WARRANTY
The present warranty does not cover the following:
a) Damages caused to the material or costs of labor related to the installation or dismantling of the pool, the liner or the accessories, nor reimbursement for any
other labor costs or materials which may be deemed necessary or desirable.
b) Damages caused by water leakage, chemical products or heating system, nor replacement of any object damaged or any loss as a result of the preceding.
c) Personal or material damage of any nature.
d) Damages caused by ice, ice displacement, fire, animals, vegetation, vandalism or acts of God.
e) Damages resulting from normal life-expectancy of pool components.
f) Damages caused by the utilisation of a salt water chlorination system in combination with a steel pool structure (top ledges, uprights, joiner plates, wall
channels).
g) The warranty is null and void if the design of this product is altered in any way. This pool is designed to be installed as an above ground pool. Improper
installation voids the warranty. Installation below ground level or leaving the pool empty will void this warranty.
h) Corrosion around and beneath the skimmer which includes the square skimmer opening and the round return opening are specifically not warranteed. Refer to
the skimmer maintenance instructions as well as the pool instructions.

It also pro-rates very quickly. This is the percentage of list price you will pay for replacement parts, plus shipping nad handling to return the defective parts and ship the new ones.

In other words, after 10 years, the warranty is basically useless.

During the first three years 0%
During the fourth year 40%
During the fifth year 45%
During the sixth year 50%
During the seventh year 60%
During the eight year 65%
During the ninth year 70%
During the tenth year 75%
Eleventh thru sixtieth year 80%
*** There will be a 10% Service and Handling Charge on the list price of all items ordered

So it boils down to a 10 year warranty that covers all parts if you don't use a SWG and it covers the resin parts if you do use a SWG.

Most warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on, given all of the loopholes, outs, and limitations

-dave

I may be mistaken but my understanding is most of the pools are manufactured by 3-4 companies with finish/marketing and "name" being the difference between "Joes Pools" and "Family Pools". There may be actual differences in the design but they are made by the same manufacturer and should carry the same "manufacturers warranty".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.