Newbie - First Time Testing w/TF Pro

JasonPTex

May 21, 2015
Waco, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I discovered TFP a few weeks back and ordered the TF Pro kit. This morning I tested the water and below are the results. For the past few weeks, I seem to be battling some minor green algae growing on the steps and side wall. See below for my test results as of this morning. Now the million dollar question is where do I start from here? Thanks in advance!

CL - 1
PH - 7.5
FC - 1
CC - 0
TC - 0
Calcium - 400
Total Alk - 90
CYA - 80

Image.jpeg

Welcome to TFP Jason! :wave: Nice pool and set-up. Fantastic testing your own water. :goodjob: Now we just need to get rid of the algae, and to do that it requires the SLAM Process. I notice your CYA is at 80 and you don't have a, SWG in your signature, so I'm assuming you chlorinate manually by liquid. You have a couple choices.:
1 - Begin the SLAM Process now which will require an SLAM FC level of 31 per the FC/CYA Levels.
2 - Exchange a little water to lower the CYA down to about 50 which would require you to maintain a SLAM FC level of 20.

Either way will work, just letting you know about the chlorine requirement. As noted on the SLAM page, be sure to lower the pH to about 7.2 BEFORE increasing your FC to the SLAM level

If you have any questions let us know

Also be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics page for lots of great info. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info! Right now I have the in-line chlorinator with pucks and I have been throwing some shock in on occasion. Obviously I had no clue what I was doing before just basically guessing.

I'll take a look at the slam process and proceed from there.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Going to start the SLAM process later this morning.
Very good. A few reminder:
- Remove any tabs/pucks from your system as those will only increase the CYA more.
- Get a good CYA test so that you can take it to the FC/CYA Levels to confirm your proper FC SLAM level.
- Use liquid chlorine to maintain that elevated FC SLAM level.
- Follow the SLAM Process carefully. It works. The more consistent you are the better the results.

Good luck!

Okay now I think I'm just confusing myself. How much liquid chlorine do I need to add to begin the SLAM process? In my pool math app there is no selection for liquid chlorine just bleach chlorine.

How much liquid chlorine do I need to add to begin the SLAM process?
First you have to confirm your CYA. As an example, lets say your CYA is 30. Then you go to the FC/CYA Levels where you find the SLAM FC level should be "12" if the CYA is 30. Now you test your current FC level. If that number is 2 for example, you know you need to add 10 ppm worth to get to 12. So use the PoolMath APP's "Effects of Adding". Go to liquid chlorine and enter your target values. It will tell you how much to add.

Reactions: JasonPTex
Once you complete the steps Texas stated above, and have confirmed the CYA level, you add enough liquid chlorine to reach the SLAM LEVEL for your CYA. If that is 80 ppm CYA, then you need to add enough liquid chlorine to reach 31 ppm.

5 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine will get you there. Then test every 2-3 hours and add enough chlorine to get back to 31 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Slamming a pool with 80 CYA can be difficult and will consume a lot of bleach. You don't have a salt water chlorine generator, so the long term cost of using liquid chlorine will be higher (CYA 80). If you stay with the pucks, you are going to have to replace water, as pucks add CYA and with CYA at 80, you won't be able to maintain enough FC to keep the pool sanitary, and will likely have algae again after the slam (using pucks).

I would recommend that you replace 40-50% of your water now.

Reactions: mknauss
Started the SLAM yesterday afternoon. Brushed the pool early this morning and have added bleach twice this morning. Staying closer to the target FC level without having to add a bunch of chlorine each time. Should I be checking this every 2-3 hours if possible?

Should I be checking this every 2-3 hours if possible?
Ideally sure. At some point you "hope" the FC stabilizes a bit without huge drops and you begin to see a pattern of how much chlorine to add every x-hours. Then you may only need to test/add 2 or 3 times a day.

So after a few days I think I have things somewhat under control. Testing a few times daily I'm only dropping about 3-5ppm. Do I need to keep up the SLAM process or do an overnight chlorine loss at this point?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.