New Vinyl Liner Double Roman in the Lehigh Valley, PA Area

scout123

Feb 18, 2018
Chattanooga, TN
I love your pool! I really love the steps at both ends. Kids...haha It was 103 degrees here today, so 68 would feel like coat and hat weather to me too! :cool: Anyway, great pool build. I love watching and dreaming.

• Haha
Reactions: l1ltaral1l

l1ltaral1l

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2019
Walnutport, PA
Please remind me again how everyone says going with more concrete upfront is one of the biggest suggestions for building a new pool? Please?

We just added about 5k more concrete work (additional walkway from the fence gate entry now and extra for lounge areas) in additional to the patio and walkway to our sliding doors.

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
More seating and more and wider walkways are ALWAYS money well spent!!!! Think if the fun the kid's friends will have at your house as they get older. You will KNOW right where they are and what they are doing AND who they are hanging with!!! ALL wins!!!!!

• Love

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
I hope that they're going to use steel in the concrete. Steel is used for strength, but more importantly it's necessary to provide a good bonding grid. Definitely require steel that's tied to the bonding grid in at least 4 places.

l1ltaral1l

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2019
Walnutport, PA
I hope that they're going to use steel in the concrete. Steel is used for strength, but more importantly it's necessary to provide a good bonding grid. Definitely require steel that's tied to the bonding grid in at least 4 places.
Yes, def using rebar! I thought that came after the gravel base, but maybe I am wrong.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
That seems awful fast on the concrete. I would have waited at least a few weeks for the back-fill to settle.

l1ltaral1l

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2019
Walnutport, PA
That seems awful fast on the concrete. I would have waited at least a few weeks for the back-fill to settle.
Welp, guess there isn’t anything to do now since it’s done 🤷🏽‍♀️

Is there a standard industry time line for this type of thing? I’m happy to question the PB, but need some backup as I know zero. When you know better, you do better.

Last edited:

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
I had 2 patio companies and one cement company refuse to do the patio for one full season. It was explained to me at the time that any of the grass that gets accidentally backfilled will degrade and leave a cavity no matter how much they compact.
The guy we liked best didn’t care and said he would just come back and fix any low spots. Which we had and he did.

I’m sure different areas have different levels of settling depending on the dirt/clay

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
I would give it at least a few weeks or months. Even if you have some type of braces, the dirt is still part of the support structure.

l1ltaral1l

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2019
Walnutport, PA
But anything to do now since it is already done?

I'm surprised by that wait - I am guessing many PB's don't wait just based on others build stories. I am leaving work early today so will have a chance to talk to the PB in person.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
The builder will probably say that you have the braces so you don't have to wait.

I don't agree, but there's nothing that can be done now.

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
My PB and the 3 patio guys who wouldn’t start it right away said the only way to guarantee proper support was to sink numerous columns down to untouched earth, basically building a bridge like patio. That way if there was any settling, the patio supported itself. There was an industry specific term for it besides calling it a footer column. And the costs involved with ‘doing it the right way’ scared off most customers.

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
Very few seem to wait from what I've seen. But it is what it is. Swim and be happy! It'll probably be just fine. You have support, it's just a matter of it being sufficient.