New (to us) Home with In Ground Pool

Yeah if only I could separate the two good from the bad. :ROFLMAO:
One pool company told me most of the CYA sits at the top so lets just drain the from the shallow end. o_O
I did think about draining half or 1/3 in the evening and then start to fill in the morning that way the kids could swim and splash water all over the walls and keep everything wet and cool while its filling. Win Win situation, the kids get to swim and the pool gets filled.

Well after a couple of water exchanges, I finally was able to get the CYA at a reasonable level. (60) Obviously this isn’t optimal but it’s a start. I can start slamming but I will be using lots of chlorine and more reagents. Should I keep water exchanging to get even lower or just run with this for some time. Maybe do another water exchange next month to spread that water bill out? Dang previous owners and the pool store that kept feeding them pucks :cry:

A CYA of 60 is fine to SLAM. When in the SLAM process, use a 5 ml water sample and each drop of reagent to clear is 1 ppm FC. Revert back to a 10 ml sample for the OCLT and regular maintenance.

Reactions: s_dubb
A CYA of 60 is fine to SLAM. When in the SLAM process, use a 5 ml water sample and each drop of reagent to clear is 1 ppm FC. Revert back to a 10 ml sample for the OCLT and regular maintenance.
Thats a great tip. Thanks

So I figured I would take the pool lights (led) out and see what it looked like. WOW :sick:WOW it was bad! Algae everywhere, I took my tooth brush and went to town. It looks so much better but now I have algae floating all over :LOL: There are some places in the light that I could not get to, its hard to explain but its like if you put two cups together and sealed it up. I can see it but I can not get to it. Is this going to cause me issues with my SLAM?
Now that I am in a cleaning pool mode, can the drain be cleaned? Its just a big circle made out of the same material the whole pool is made out of. How does it come off, does it come off? I can get pictures if needed.

So here is where I’m at after 3 weeks and think. Water exchange twice to finally get the CYA down to 60. Started the SLAM process and stayed on top of it. Finally the OCLT held up last night, didn’t lose any. Final results are as follows

FC=12 (still letting it drift down)
CC=.5
PH=7.8
CH=375
TA=120
I would say I finally got this pool out of the “pool store” mess it was in.
The streaking algae on the walls has really lightened up and keeps getting better everyday.
Any suggestions from here please let me know.

pH test isn't valid with FC over 10, but it usually reads high so you are probably ok. Grab another one once you get below 10.

Looks good! How about a picture of that TFP water?

Reactions: s_dubb
To OP, my CYA is at 120, and I have been managing things quite well. Using liquid chlorine to keep my FC at or above 10ppm. Recently, with the cool, cloudy weather, that has been a gallon of chlorine every other day, or a half gallon a day. As the weather gets warmer and sunnier I am expecting more of a 14 gallons every 12 days ratio, which I am fine with.

I will let my CYA come down naturally over time with splash out, rain, and closing the pool for the year (we drain about 1/4 way down to close).

So you have that option too. If you can afford the chlorine (I am paying $3.49 per gallon for 12.5% strength) then you can manage it and just overtime lower CYA.

My water is crystal clear. Clearer than it has ever been. THANK YOU TFP for saving my pool!

To OP, my CYA is at 120, and I have been managing things quite well. Using liquid chlorine to keep my FC at or above 10ppm. Recently, with the cool, cloudy weather, that has been a gallon of chlorine every other day, or a half gallon a day. As the weather gets warmer and sunnier I am expecting more of a 14 gallons every 12 days ratio, which I am fine with.
I am in Arizona, it’s usually sunny and 100 plus degree weather for the next 3 months. I figured it was best to get my CYA down before starting this pool maintenance. I most likely would have been dumping in 3-4 gallons a day (I think) and that was just not cost effective. Water is a whole lot cheaper than chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am in Arizona, it’s usually sunny and 100 plus degree weather for the next 3 months. I figured it was best to get my CYA down before starting this pool maintenance. I most likely would have been dumping in 3-4 gallons a day (I think) and that was just not cost effective. Water is a whole lot cheaper than chlorine.

Good job. I too did the cost comparison, vs. safety as well. For me water is not cheap. And I can only drain to a certain level. And since I have no onsite water source, the drain and fill option wasn't right for me.

Good job. I too did the cost comparison, vs. safety as well. For me water is not cheap. And I can only drain to a certain level. And since I have no onsite water source, the drain and fill option wasn't right for me.

AND this ^^^^^ is what makes TFP so great! We can share ideas and how things work for each of us! :hug:

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.