New (to us) Home with In Ground Pool

Acid wash reduces the life of your plaster and a chlorine wash is silly as that is what a SLAM is. The tile cleaning is another issue, that is best done by a company that uses kieserite.

Good to know, we wanted to get the black streaks that are flowing down the sides of the pool cleaned up, maybe they will go away once we get the water on track? Yeah I would not try to clean up the CH on the tile I would let a company do this. Right now its just the waiting game as we do the exchange, water in and water out. I would imagine that once I decide that the CYA should be down to workable levels (hopefully my math is right) is that I run the pump for 30 minutes then test to see what my actual CYA results are?

Once the exchange is complete start the pump and use the brush to mix it real well. I would wait 3-4 hours with pump up at a good rpm to make sure things are well mixed.

Have you determined if the stains are organic or metal?

I have learned to test my CYA in my kitchen under my strong stove hood light. I have some of the standard CYA that helped me train my eyes. Until you have trained your eyes you should do out in the sun like the directions talk about. What you can do is do the test in the sun THEN come inside and see if there is an area you can do it in and get the same results.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: s_dubb
Is it bad to start a SLAM in the middle of the day? I would think it wouldn’t matter since it’s a process and will take days, and one will be adding LC throughout the day anyway.
Also what speed should I be running my VS pump? Cleaner? Max Speed?

Last edited:
I would run it just a bump above slow speed. That will help mix the chlorine in good and push the dead algae to the filter.

I would go ahead and start it now. That way you can test it after a couple of hours to see how it is going. The very beginning you will need to test every 2 to 3 hours to keep ahead of the algae monster. Now if you can't test and dose that often that is okay! Just do it as much as you can. The more you keep the FC at SLAM level the faster it will clear. Do the best you can when you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess I shouldn’t say it was a bust, just didn’t do as much as I had hoped.
Water in bucket test was 5 gpm, water was on for 2 days straight, 48 hours.
5x60=300gph
48hx300gph=1440 gallons so it was over half.
Guess I should have been shooting for a little over 3 days for a complete turnover
Not looking forward to that water bill especially now that I need to do it again.

You had tested above 200 ppm CYA originally. So the exchange provided the results you targeted with that amount of water.

You can add some liquid chlorine at your incoming stream if you like. But in AZ, it is rare to get algae all that quick. We do not have the airborne organics other areas have.

Here is the link to the SLAM: SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain - Trouble Free Pool

Yes you need to run the pump/filter 24/7 during the SLAM. You also need to brush the pool at least once a day, twice if you can squeeze it in. The speed of the pump needs to be high enough to move the water so the dead algae get moved to the filter. For some that is slowest speed, others it is higher. You will find the speed that works best for you pool by watching the water moving. You can throw some ping pong balls in to watch the water mover or even some bigger leaves if you want to. Just make sure you get them out when you are done watching them!

Did you drain from deep end and add water to shallow end?
I suspect this might be your problem. As @mknauss outlined this is correct way if your fill water is warmer or have the same temperature as your pool water.
In your case, pool water is probably warmer than fill water, which means you should be draining from shallow end and adding to deep end.
This is because colder water will settle at the bottom and warmer water will be near the top.

Yes I am draining from the deep end and filling from the shallow end on the steps. I am in AZ and its hot as heck out 100 plus degree weather and the fill hose is black. I am pretty sure the fill water is warmer than the deep end of the pool water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.