New to testing, new to Taylor K-2006

One gallon liq chlorine, 10%
Sure. One gallon should increase your FC by about 4 ppm. You might check again later this evening though. Your comment about the "the water looks alright, a little cloudy" concerns me. I hope the FC was;'t too low for too long already. So this evening if the FC is down to 3 ppm, I'd add another gallon. Marty might even recommend you perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Good job. As you put the chlorine in yesterday with 0 CYA in the water, it was going to be pretty much gone. So now follow the FC/CYA Levels, based on the 40 ppm CYA you added to the water. No need to test CYA for a week or so.

Target the upper range for that CYA for your FC each day. Which is 7 ppm FC. So when you test this evening, add enough liquid chlorine to get to 7 ppm from the level the water is when you test it.

Use a 10 ml water sample for your FC testing. One scoop of powder, Each drop of reagent equals 0,5 ppm FC.

So after adding a gallon of liq chlorine 10% at 1030 this morning, i just tested it at 430 pm. It took four drops into the 10ml sample to achieve clarity. So if i understand clearly, i then should multiply 4 x .5, which equals 2 ppm? Is that correct? If so, should i add more liq chlorine stat?

OK -- you are correct. Add one gallon of 10%. That gives you 4.3 ppm FC plus the 2 ppm you have now.

Test the FC again tomorrow at about the same time.

Have you added all the CYA yet?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tested this morning, just to see. I can see the bottom, 9ft down, but there is a slight haze. Anyway, it was 3ppm, 6 drops at 10ml. Should i go ahead and add more liq chlorine or wait to test this evening?

Should i go ahead and add more liq chlorine or wait to test this evening?
Go ahead and add. more chlorine 3 ppm of FC is as low as you ever want to go. Keeping it around 5-6 is probably better. Good you caught it when you did. :goodjob:

Reactions: Ericinphoenix
OK, so now it's up to 4ppm. But after 5 drops of the R-0003 DPD reagent, it's still clear, meaning no combined chlorine? Should there be? Have i made a terrible mistake? And since the FC is only 4ppm, should i add yet another gallon of 10%? Thank you!

Good job. As you put the chlorine in yesterday with 0 CYA in the water, it was going to be pretty much gone. So now follow the FC/CYA Levels, based on the 40 ppm CYA you added to the water. No need to test CYA for a week or so.

Target the upper range for that CYA for your FC each day. Which is 7 ppm FC. So when you test this evening, add enough liquid chlorine to get to 7 ppm from the level the water is when you test it.

Use a 10 ml water sample for your FC testing. One scoop of powder, Each drop of reagent equals 0,5 ppm FC.

hey if I am doing the 10 ml water sample/ .5 ppm per drop, I would still use two small scoops of powder correct?

No CC is a good thing. You should target 7 ppm FC and a gallon of 10% will get you to 8 ppm. So that is good.
I was hoping to see your FC loss per day slow down. Once you test your CYA level tomorrow we can evaluate where you are at.

Reactions: Ericinphoenix
So here are this morning's numbers:
FC: 4.6
PH: 7.4
Tot Alk: 160
CH: after 5 drops solution turns pink, not red. That being said: 300 CH
CYA: past 40, halfway up to 30. Don't know what that number would be.
Does that TA mean big trouble? And what of the other numbers, ok? What should i do now? Thanks!

Great. CYA is 40 ppm, what you added. Leave it.
The TA is high but will come down over time. No issue. You need the test result for Poolmath when your pH reaches 8 and it is time to add some acid.

FC still seems to be coming down a bit more than it should. How does the water look?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.