New to pools, pool guy seems to have done nothing for us

Try to take a pic a day looking down at the same spot each day. Having something like a brush in the water will help you see it clear. Your eyes will not be able to see if but the pics will show it to you!

Kim:kim:

Something else I thought about, could some of the cloudiness be from DE powder that was getting through the old filter since the fingers were shot? Or should this have cleared up by now?

When I hose off the cartridge filters the gunk is green but when it dries it's white/grayish and sticks to the driveway concrete unless I spray it with the jet setting on the hose or power washer.

Update for today:

FC at 5:30 PM was 11. I added a half bottle of 10% chlorine

FC at 8:30 PM was 13

I brushed after testing, cleaned the filters and then put the older filter (the one that came with it) in. I decided to brush the bottom of the shallow end since I could kind of make out a brownisn/tan area and realized that there was dead algae there and it made a cloud, which got sucked in by the skimmer eventually. But I can almost see the brush on the bottom of the shallow end. Then I figured I may as well dirty up the filter some more and vacuumed straight into the filter, and I can just barely see the vacuum head too down there! I vacuumed the entire pool as best I could for about 20 minutes and didn't even fill up the pump skimmer with leaves this time, so I think I'm making good progress on finally getting most of the solids off the bottom. Every time I vacuum I pick up a little bit of sand/grit too.

Cleaned the older filter and put it back in for the night. Still seems to be getting dirty slower but there's still particulates floating around, you can especially see them if you turn the light on at night.

I also changed out that return pipe and no more leaks!

Will test FC in the morning and add as needed.

Reactions: justinc
I went outside before I went to bed and realized I left the light on in the pool. It looks "milky" instead of green with the light on now. It was pretty foggy last night, not sure if that was part of it.

Wasn't able to get a FC reading this morning since I had to run, I've had to skip the gym a lot last week to work on this pool so I need to get my lifting in ? However the girlfriend is off today and has some errands to run, but will be running a test this morning and this afternoon. And I'll have most of the weekend free to pay more attention to it. I plan on vacuuming as much as I can now since I can put it right into the filter and immediately clean it.

I am super excited to give this update. Look how much clearer it is! And @justinc is right, it's turning a milky blue. Still a little green but much less green.

June7_01.jpg

As you can see in the 2nd pic, I can almost see the entire vacuum head at the bottom of the shallow end. Still cloudy down there but what a difference!

June7_02.jpg

Here you can see just above the skimmer, and you can actually make out the dead algae compared to the pool floor.

June7_03.jpg

The side of the pool - now I can tell what the design is beneath the border - bubbles!

June7_04.jpg

Here are my 2 trusty sidekicks that work night and day and only ask for a daily bath. When this pool is clear they'll be retired with full honors for their service. I have a brand new one in the garage that will be used once the pool is ready.

June7_05.jpg

June7_06.jpg

So onto the water chemistry stuff - Nicole wasn't able to test FC until about 4:30ish and the level was 6. I had her add enough to get us to 12 and I'll be going outside to test again right now and adding as needed for overnight. And I'll have more time to keep up on it this weekend.

We're getting there folks!

Attachments

• June7_05.jpg
    June7_05.jpg
    763.3 KB · Views: 26
  • June7_06.jpg
    June7_06.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
D757D703-F1DF-42CF-AB3D-B775DB3C585D.jpeg

Looks even better today in the sun. FC just got tested, we’re at 13. I did some sprucing up around the pool area, power washed the fence and some of the dirtier spots on the concrete and ripped out weeds and cut some Japanese maples that were trying to grow. Turned over an old table top, found a small wasp/hornet nest and promptly ran like a little kid. Got the spray and killed 3 along with the nest. It’s been an exciting day.

I’m about to get cleaned up and go pick up my daughter from a sleepover and then I’ll test again. We have a party to go to tonight so I may add a bit more than what PoolMath tells me so we’re still maintaining levels.

Reactions: justinc
Morning all! Here's a pic of my filter after 24 hours and a vacuuming. A huge difference from Friday! It seems like I'm not picking up much but I'm assuming that's because there's not much to pick up.

Filter_6_9.jpg

The half bottle last night kept FC at 14 when I tested at 9am. I was up at 6 power washing the rest of the fence and concrete and I ripped out 2 bushes that Nicole wanted gone. The vacuum head is almost completely visible at the shallow end when you put it in the bottom! I made it just a little cloudy by vacuuming but I'll be sure to take a pic later after the cleaned out filter does some work. Will test again after I get a chance to clean up and put away laundry and all that.

Nicole is getting patio furniture all ready for the area and we're looking at ripping out a bit of the ivy on the right side of the pool where I ripped the one bush out, and putting in pea gravel or something like that, so we have more "chair" area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.