New to me saltwater pool

PanchoButler

Aug 29, 2019
Katy, TX
We just moved into our house that has an inground saltwater pool. I am trying to figure out the Intellichlor right now, but that is in another thread. I honestly don’t know much about the pool. I know the heater is new, and so is the main pump. As far as the filters, it is a big tank with a pressure gauge in top. I have the IntelliFlo 4 with the wireless remote. I bought a test kit on amazon, but not sure how good it is. I would like to have a better kit, that will give me all the readings I need.

So, here are my questions.
1. Is there a book I need to get that will answer all these questions.
2. If not, what test kit do I need, and what chemicals should I keep on hand.
3. How do I backwash the system?
4. How do I get ready to clean the filters?
I guess I basically need a basic rundown on everything.
Thanks for any input!!

Edit to add: after reading some more threads here, I just ordered the Taylor K-2006C kit

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
See the eBook at the bottom of the Pool School front page.
Test Kits ComparedI suggest the https://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html/ A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
You said backwash. Do you have a sand filter?
Please fill out your signature.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Hello PB,
Welcome to TFP!

Pool School will answer about all of the questions you have.
Pics of your equipment will help us immensely.

I can tell you though, right away you need to get a tube of O ring lubricant. The O rings on the pump lid, filter gaskets etc, will all need to be lubricated every time you open something up for cleaning, inspection or whatever else reason. Only use silicone based lube. Petroleum based lubes will eat up the gaskets and O rings. Get you some at the pool store.

There are 3 types of filters. Sand, Cartridge, and DE. Sand and DE require backwashing. DE filters will require you to replenish some DE after it's backwashed. There is a big Multi Port Valve on these filters with label at each position. One of them is backwash. Of note on all Multi Port Valves - ALWAYS rotate the handle the same direction as noted on the Valve. If you turn it the wrong direction, it will eventually destroy the gasket in there and start leaking.

Cartridge Filters will not have this big valve on it and do not require backwashing. You just pop the top part of the filter tank off, take out the filters and clean them. Then put it all back together.

Last edited:
As someone who literally just started from scratch after the wife fired the pool guy and declared me the pool guy, I can tell you that if you follow the advise of the articles linked above, and read everything you will be able to answer about 80-85% of all your questions/problems.

People on this forum have been very helpful when I couldn't find the answer.

Reactions: frogabog
Well, I have figured out most of the stuff. I had a pool guy come by to check my SWG, and he gave me the rundown. I have cartridge filters. My SWG is shot, and it is getting replaced tomorrow. The only thing that I didn’t listen to from him was that he told me to get rid of the Taylor K-2006 kit and just use the strips. But I like the Taylor kit. I ran everything through it yesterday, and input it into Pool Math, and the only thing that was off was the free chlorine which is to be expected since my SWG isn’t working. I have added chlorine tablets for now.

Well, I have figured out most of the stuff. I had a pool guy come by to check my SWG, and he gave me the rundown. I have cartridge filters. My SWG is shot, and it is getting replaced tomorrow. The only thing that I didn’t listen to from him was that he told me to get rid of the Taylor K-2006 kit and just use the strips. But I like the Taylor kit. I ran everything through it yesterday, and input it into Pool Math, and the only thing that was off was the free chlorine which is to be expected since my SWG isn’t working. I have added chlorine tablets for now.

Are you replacing the whole SWG or the SWG cell... Cause the cells need replacement, but the unit its self I would think could be repaired if something went bad with it... at least that is my opinion (but I am no expert).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd say bump it up to the target for 80ppm CYA level for non-salt pools for the time being since it's gone so low. That's 11ppm.

Get regular non-scented, non-splashless, no anything special probably the cheapest bleach. Not Chlorox, it's got something they call Chloromax technology which is apparently polymers. Regular bleach should be 6% sodium hypochlorite.

Walmart bleach is good. If you can find the 10% liquid chlorine go for that. Use PoolMath to determine how much to add to your pool.

Based on your screen shot you need more salt too...perhaps that is why your SwG is not functioning as expected. I assume you are replacing the cell?
and you need to charge your phone.;)
I retested the salt today, and it is actually at 3300, so I am high. The Intellichlor was bad, and had been replaced, and is working correctly. I added bleach this morning, and will retest this afternoon after work!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.