New Pump Motor - Leaking From Bolt Hole

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I replaced the motor (century motor B2854) on my Whisperflo pool pump (Schematic).

I bought a new seal kit, and replaced items 11, 16, and 9. On 11 and 9 I used some lubricant when installing. On 16, I put some silicone around the side that goes into the seal plate, and nothing around the side that inserts into the impeller.

When I disassembled my old motor from the pump housing, I noticed that I did not have the reverse thread screw. It's my first time taking this apart since buying this house. After doing a little research, I found (on some website so maybe not completely reliable) that the screw isn't actually necessary when the impeller is threaded onto the motor shaft so I went without it. After re-installing everything and wiring it up, I have a leak from the bolt labeled 17 (it's actually the one that has the balloon in the schematic). I also added a photo. The leak is about one drop every 8-10 seconds so it's not a huge leak. The only thing I can think is there must be a crack in the seal plate at that bolt, and water is leaking through there? I haven't tried tightening the bolt more because water shouldn't be coming from it in the first place so I'm less concerned about the drip and more concerned about where it might be coming from or how it's happening. Should I replace the seal plate? I guess I may need to disassemble this again and take a look at that plate, but I thought maybe someone had encountered this or might know what's up before I go to the trouble. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Also noteworthy: the four bolts in the pattern with the leaky one all had a decent amount of corrosion on them when I pulled them. I brushed them and cleaned them up, and added some anti-seize when re-installing. But maybe some water was already leaking through to them.
bolt leak.JPG

Last edited:
Hi, I have to agree with you either a cracked seal plate or the shaft seal doesn’t have a good bond on seal plate. I’m a fan of Valpak replacement parts for seal plate. I usually use a 3/4” coupling or 1” I forget, to leverage the metal ring into the seal plate. Edit ** if it was the shaft seal you usually would see water dripping under the motor At base of seal plate.

Hi, I have to agree with you either a cracked seal plate or the shaft seal doesn’t have a good bond on seal plate. I’m a fan of Valpak replacement parts for seal plate. I usually use a 3/4” coupling or 1” I forget, to leverage the metal ring into the seal plate. Edit ** if it was the shaft seal you usually would see water dripping under the motor At base of seal plate.

Right - with regards to your edit, the bottom is wide open. So it'd be dripping down there for sure. To come directly from the bolt head... Makes me think it has to be a crack or something making water seep into that area. Based on the schematic, the area on the other side of those bolt holes (they aren't thru holes) should be wet. So maybe a tiny crack is there... Maybe it gets worse with time. Maybe not. I guess I'll keep an eye on it for a bit, and probably will end up replacing the plate eventually.

Reactions: Poolbreh
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.