New pool owner, no filter documentation, can you help me ID this?

anthony212

Aug 19, 2020
Pearland, TX
Hi everyone!
I am a new pool owner as of 4 days ago, and learning it all. The pool that came with my house had no information about the filter or any equipment. I am pretty sure the previous owners just paid a company weekly to come take care of things. I am trying to avoid that. I want to know how to do it all myself.

So the pool filter unfortunately seems to have all stickers left unidentifiable. Can anyone recognize this filter and point me to the some info regarding it's maintenance?

I think I have been able to gather it's a Hayward and a cartridge filter. I would love to know how to take this thing apart and clean it.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200819-215425.png
    Screenshot_20200819-215425.png
    839.9 KB · Views: 48
Its probably a swimclear cartridge filter. Hayward Filters Swimclear C2025 Owners Manual, you will have to figure out the size.
Uppss sorry, Welcome to TFP and congratulations on wanting to manage your own pool, we all do around here. Please start reading up on ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and order a proper Test Kits Compared with the speedstir. Also please fill in your signature with pool specs and equipment as you start finding out what you have.

Hi fellow Texan. Welcome to TFP, In addition to what @Flying Tivo provided to you, you may want to take a front photo of your equipment pad and also a picture of your pool and post it. We can help you identify the plumbing so you can mark your pipework and flow direction. This will help when you need to do other maintenance items on your pool. We are here to help - ask any questions you have.

Thanks so much guys! Between Google and YouTube I have a good guess as to how all of this plumbing works, but I thought I would take @HermanTX's suggestion and post a picture of my equipment. It does not appear that anything is currently labeled as far as flow goes. Any help would be very much appreciated!

The pool has two skimmer baskets and two main drains in the bottom of the pool.

IMG_20200908_130317.jpg

Here is an annotated picture of your flow.

You have skimmers? A main drain? No spa?

The left side suction line is likely your skimmer(s). The right side line is probably your main drain and mostly turned off.

anthony212.jpg

Excellent. Thank you! That black hose connects to the horizontal pipe running below that chlorinator. I do know from experimenting that the water flows through that black hose upwards into the top of that chlorinator (which I know from reading here, will hopefully be used very minimally).

edit: And you were correct. Skimmers, main drain, and no spa.

Anthony,

You have one main drain (2 covers) and two skimmers... But your pump only has two inputs..

This means that either the two skimmers are tied together and the Intake valve in front of your pump selects between main drain inputs and both skimmers

Or..

The main drain is tied into the bottom of one of the skimmers and that the Intake valve selects between Skimmer 1 and Skimmer 2..

You will have to play with it to figure out how your system is plumbed. Just shut off one of the two inputs to the pump and then feel under the skimmer basket for suction at both skimmers. Do the same thing with the other input pipe.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You might want to have the previous owner's pool company come out for a few times so you can see what they do and decide if its in your comfort zone. Don't let the pool get ahead of you as it can be difficult to get back in order once it does!

The white (it is supposed to be black) ring is the clamp holding the filter shut.

Shut off the pump. Open the little valve at the top of the filter.

Note the distance the threads extend beyond the nut. Remove the nut on the clamp. Hear the clang when it falls on the ground. Pull the top off the filter and look at the filters.

Remove the plastic "top" connecting the filters. Remove the filters from the housing and use a high pressure hose (not pressure washer) to clean the gunk off the filters. Put them back in, in random positions and locations. Seat giant o-ring and put the top back on. Carefully put the clamp back around and start screwing the nut back on. Use a socket wrench to tighten. Check the threads that eventually come out of the nut and tighten to about the previous number of threads.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.