New Pool Owner looking to upgrade some plumbing and equipment.

Hozzie

Silver Supporter
May 8, 2023
Tennessee
Pool Size
Hello all.

My parents (mid-70's) are buying a place that has a 15x30x5 inground pool. My dad is mechanically savvy in just about anything, but not too computer savvy, so I am here to help them a bit as a proxy. I am also pretty mechanically savvy, so hopefully I don't ask too many dumb questions, but neither of us really know much about pools. The pool is currently setup for chlorine, but we are planning to convert it over to saltwater. We had it inspected and the pool company made a couple of recommendations (mostly around replacing some plumbing and valves in the equipment shed, but they seem to be taking advantage in their pricing thinking my parents are new owners and probably don't know any different. As mentioned, we can basically fix anything mechanical so we are planning to "redo" the plumbing of the equipment to make it a cleaner install while at the same time updating/upgrading any components necessary. Right now, there are some things that look a bit thrown together from a plumbing perspective so we will clean that up a bit as we are pretty fanatical about things being designed to make sense as related to layout, etc.

One key point for us is the liner is being replaced as part of the sale. Right now the pool is pretty dirty and the water level is very low so nothing is actually running. I am guessing the company replacing the liner will make sure to get all of the muck out as part of replacing the liner. My main question to start is related to if we should wait to add the SWG after they install the liner and the pool is filled and basically back to working order or if we should just plumb it in before the liner install and upon refill, just start with salt and all. I figure the second option makes the most sense, but we don't know what we don't know.

It has a cartridge filter setup and we will plumb in the SWG as it should as the last component inline of the plumbing before the water goes back to the pool. Is there any good reason to wait until later to install the SWG. We can plumb in an extended pipe where it will go if needed ,so not a problem, but as always it is typically easier to just plumb things in as we rebuild the plumbing in the equipment shed.

Open to any suggestions and thanks in advance for any insight.

PS: I realize this maybe should have been made in the "Just Getting Started" forum, so please move by all means if needed.

Welcome to TFP.
Photos always help.
I would plumb the SWCG in place now and you have 2 options. 1 - just leave it in but do not turn it or or hook it up electrically until after or 2, the better option IMO , is to build a spacer for the position of the SWCG. The SWCG (or most of them) have unions on each side. So just get another matching pair of unions and put on the spacer pipe. This allows you to remove the SWCG now and just use liquid chlorine until you get the new water up and running. Also, this allows you to remove the SWCG in the winter and put in the spacer.

Remember that a SWCG should be sized for 2x your pool volume. So if you have a 20k gal pool, get a SWCG rated for a 40k gal pool.

Do you have a variable speed pump?

Welcome to TFP.
Photos always help.
I would plumb the SWCG in place now and you have 2 options. 1 - just leave it in but do not turn it or or hook it up electrically until after or 2, the better option IMO , is to build a spacer for the position of the SWCG. The SWCG (or most of them) have unions on each side. So just get another matching pair of unions and put on the spacer pipe. This allows you to remove the SWCG now and just use liquid chlorine until you get the new water up and running. Also, this allows you to remove the SWCG in the winter and put in the spacer.

Remember that a SWCG should be sized for 2x your pool volume. So if you have a 20k gal pool, get a SWCG rated for a 40k gal pool.

Do you have a variable speed pump?
I haven't had a chance personally to look at it closely so not sure exactly what kind of pump it has, but I think it is a 1HP. They close on the house a week from Friday so I will get a better idea then. For the most part, I want to get the SWG ordered and have it so we can do the work either at the same time or before they replace the liner. Apparently the liner has been on order for 6 weeks and they are still waiting on it, but it should be here soon. If we need to get a new pump, we will cross that bridge when we get there. The pool company quoted a Hayward SWG and I know here the CircuPool is thought well of. Expect to get something in the 30-40k gallon range. Not sure on the differences between the SJ Models, RJ models, etc so I still need to do some research on that. They quoted $2500 for the Hayward model which seems high even understanding they are going to mark it up a bit. They didn't say which exact model, but I am confident we can install any of them so no need to pay a markup for nothing.

Does the pool have automation? We would recommend getting a SWCG of the same mfg. of the automation so it can interface. However if no automation, maybe just a timer, then you can select any SWCG mfg. If you go CircuPool then the RJ Plus system is highly thought of by many on the forum. Do you know the volume of the pool?

I don’t think it has any automation right now. Is right at 17,000 gallons.
The RJ-45plus would be suitable. I just looked on the website and they have a deal going on - you can purchase the RJ-30 plus and for $20 more, get the RJ-45 plus or if you want to go bigger (and there is no harm is going bigger), purchase the RJ-45plus and for $20 more get the RJ-60plus. The 45 or the 60 will serve You well.

The larger unit will allow more flexibility. 2 variables control how much chlorine is produced daily. This is the percent that you set your SWCG at to run and the amount of time that your pump is running. So for example if you want 3 ppm of free chlorine to be produced daily, one setting could be SWCG set at 30% output and the pump running for 18 hours. Another setting for the same 3 ppm of FC, could be SWCG at 60% output and the pump running for 9 hrs. The larger SWCG RJ60plus will give you more flexibility but both will meet your needs. The numbers shown above are pure examples only, we would need specifics on which SWCG and pool volume to provide more accurate run times at different % output for a given FC requirement.

This is shown in the PoolMath app Which is handy for tracking test results and doing calculations for chemical additions and SWCG settings.

You are not sure if you have a variable speed pump, that is always helpful with a SWCG because you can run it at low rpm, enough to get the SWCG to activate and thus you save energy costs on the pump running and you still get chlorine production.

Reactions: Hozzie
Well, we ordered the CircuPool Core 55. Think it will work fine for them. Now to get closed so we can clean up the plumbing.
Nice! Congrats :)

I saw an install video of one of these when shopping for my SWG and looked like a breeze

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I am aware as related to only the 4 levels of adjustment, but figure with pump run time adjustments we can achieve similar results. And to be honest, less options is better for my parents.

I just like the information part of the RJ's and find that it helps me understand a little more when I show up to a pool and something on the chlorine end doesn't add up but have customers with the Core and they're a great product too. They can equally give problems just like any other consumable but found when I talked to customer service they'd always want me to report some info from the display which is a bit more detailed prior to sending it for repair possibly not needing to send it.....

Reactions: Newdude and Hozzie
So you recommend it over the Core model. We would probably drop down to the RJ -45.
I think either is a good SWCG. Your point on simplicity is important. Also as you can see from the physical size, teh Core55 needs more vertical room on the pad so ensure that is workable.

I called and talked to them this morning and switched to the RJ-60. Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the main advantage of the core is a bit simpler install, but that wasn't my main concern. I suspect a VS pump will be the next purchase, but need to wait and see exactly what is already installed.

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.