New pool owner - hi all

ParB

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 26, 2020
SF Bay area (silicon valley)
As of April 1st I am a new pool owner. It came with the house I just purchased. To be honest, having a pool wasn't a requirement for us, we loved the house and it came with a pool. So I am in learning more about pools, I've never had one or been near them growing up (I grew up in the snow).

So I know nothing... Total newbie here!
I haven't measured the size of the pool, my tools in the garage is still in boxes but I estimate it to be about 70 feet long and ten feet wide. One one end there are steps into the pool and a smaller spa jacuzzi is set into the same side. I'd guess that the spa is 5x5 feet in size.

Equipment? I have no idea. The previous owner used a pool company and could not advise me. Since I'm a newbie I decided to start by continuing the pool service until I can figure things out for myself. The pool company gave me access to an app on my phone called screenlogic by which I can turn on the spa, heat the spa and the pool and turn on lights in the pool. They told me I have a pressure cleaner, variable speed pumps and a pressure pump for the cleaner. Also an UV light next to the filters for cleaning the pool water. The cleaner runs about 2 hours per day on a schedule in the pool. The pool pump runs about 8 hours per day. These are settings from the previous owner.

I have a motorized pool cover, that I close each night to reduce the amount of leaves that land in the pool. There is a tree not too far from the pool that needs serious trimming. I cleaned the little filter bag on the pool vacuum today, an impressive amount of leaves came out, about two fistfuls.

Looking to learn how to manage the pool myself! I can take pics of the equipment if it helps.
20200426_145210.jpg

Last edited:
Hi and welcome! What a pretty pool AND area! I would LOVE to see more of the patio and house!!!

Yeah that tree and the other ones are not your friends. Be glad you have that cover!

Looks like your pool company got your started. Now let us fill in the blanks. Do take and share a pic of the equipment. Write down any info (model numbers and kinds) you see on each item so we can help you fill out your signature.

Kim:kim:

Thanks! I'll take pics tomorrow. Love the Cabana, is what sold me on the property. Got a fridge, icemaker, grill and a sink out there. A couple of outdoor TV's as well.

I'm going to cut back on the tree, but I can't get a tree trimmer out because the covid stuff right now. I have a few other trees that needs trimming too.

Howdy! If you found this site it sounds like you are interested in maintaining the pool yourself. That's awesome and its not that difficult. The first thing you should do is read the links Marty already suggested on Pool Chem, and if that doesn't scare you get the test kit they all recommend, from here Test Kits Compared. It's a good test kit but more importantly by using the same testing kit that we all use it provides a common foundation to discuss your pool's chemistry. You'll see we all have our pools equipment in our signature.. its not a bragging right, it just makes it easier to see what kind of equipment someone has when providing advice. If you can't figure out your equipment post some pics, The local gurus will know and can tell you what you have.

Reactions: kimkats