New Pool Owner—green again.

Is there something to be said for shock working better if it’s put in at night?
At this point, no. Some might argue the chlorine will work better with no sun UV on the pool, but all chemical levels are in question in that water right now anyways. We're not going to make any real progress until the test kit arrives. No waste, no muss, no fuss. In the meantime, continue to brush and scoop if you can. Keep the biofilms on the surfaces agitated for the chlorine. The SLAM Process will do the work.

Reactions: Djuke
One of the hardest things for you to do - trusting people on this forum that you have never met. It was for me. But holy cow, the people here are insanely smart and helpful and if you do what they say, your pool will come around. It takes time and the hardest part is waiting. Walmart should have pool chlorine/bleach in gallon bottles. I buy them 10 at a time and keep them in a cool spot in my storage room. Whatever you buy, you need to pay attention to the % sodium hypochlorite and input that number in the app. The % can change from brand to brand.

Once you get your test kit, take your time and follow the instructions and ask for help on here. I even took a video and sent it to a member to see if I was doing it right.

You got this.

I will give you my patented NEW to TFP Standard Rant:
Read the book, buy the test kit, add Liquid Chlorine for your Cyanuric Acid as directed (Probably have to SLAM for a little bit), enjoy your Trouble Free Pool
Here's the thing, nobody here is trying to make money off of you, we have no interest in selling you any gizmo's or products. The Pool Store/Pool Company sees dollar signs every time you walk through the door, and there goal is to extract as much green from your wallet as possible. The advice here is solid, backed by empirical data and years (sometimes decades) of experience with all types of swimming pools and all of the problems that come with them. So you have to ask yourself, who has your best interests in mind, and who's going to do a better job taking care of your pool, you (backed by this site and a solid test kit giving you known results as frequently as you need them) or some guy at a pool store who is at best a teenager who doesn't have a clue what he's doing, or at worst someone out to fleece you for as much as they can get.
/end rant

Learning Question (not advice):

Why wouldn’t it be okay to add more chlorine? It would kill me to see my pool that green. In that vein, how is the person going to do a CYA test with the water that green? Again, not advice - I would want to put some CYA in there to help with the chlorine and then put a couple of gallons of chlorine in there to start clearing up that water. I know we don’t trust pool store results, but the owner probably knows that no CYA has been put in the pool so that number is probably knowable (close to zero). I understand that may not be the most frugal approach, but what would be the harm?

Reactions: Djuke and GMTK
The problem is you have no firm reliable baseline yet, which you will establish with your test kit when it arrives, the small sample shouldnt be as green and useable to establish a rough idea until you get her back to blue, then retest CYA, so you are at best guessing and at worst adding to your long term problem /solution and CYA is slow to leave the party and HIGH CYA could have been an issue when pool was shut down adding Stabilizer (CYA) would mean you would have to drain and replace more water the higher your CYA.
Now if the test comes back with a CYA of 20 or some low number then you can calculate and add enough to get you to the range you need to be as the higher the CYA the more Chlorine you need to SLAM, and waiting a day or two in the bigger picture really isn't a huge deal other than you are looking at the sea of green, now adding more chlorine and filtering and scrubbing either broom or robot, I would do to help fight off the green/keep it at bay until the test kit arrives.

I would want to put some CYA in there to help with the chlorine and then put a couple of gallons of chlorine in there to start clearing up that water
A risky proposition with a 1 year old liner. Guessing on any part of 'where will I bleach it out' is too much for me. If this was a pool that was inherited after a move and had a 12 year old liner, it would be much less of a long term thing if they damaged the liner.

Reactions: pb4uswim
At this point, no. Some might argue the chlorine will work better with no sun UV on the pool, but all chemical levels are in question in that water right now anyways. We're not going to make any real progress until the test kit arrives. No waste, no muss, no fuss. In the meantime, continue to brush and scoop if you can. Keep the biofilms on the surfaces agitated for the chlorine. The SLAM Process will do the work.
While I have some time to kill, a few more questions. :)
1) when i move this into slam mode, and if I’m estimating my cya is 30, the corresponding FH target is 12. If I enter in 12 as my target, it says it’s out of the target range. What am I doing wrong?

2) for the sanitizer type, I’m guessing the SWG isn’t my best option right now as the water temp is still so cold, so we’d want to continue with liquid chlorine?
Thank you!

Attachments

• DD8F765B-A25C-4399-9300-DCF1B9C15E8E.png
    DD8F765B-A25C-4399-9300-DCF1B9C15E8E.png
    337.2 KB · Views: 10

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I enter in 12 as my target, it says it’s out of the target range. What am I doing wrong?
It's gently reminding you in case you don't mean to SLAM, which most members don't following the program. So when you do have to SLAM, consider the little fella thoughtful for wanting to make sure.

Reactions: Djuke
A risky proposition with a 1 year old liner. Guessing on any part of 'where will I bleach it out' is too much for me. If this was a pool that was inherited after a move and had a 12 year old liner, it would be much less of a long term thing if they damaged the liner.
Lol! My predicament when we bought our house: Green pool, liner shot, liner replacement lined up and booked, swim season over….. so I played mad chemist! I dumped 20 pounds of CalHypo in that sucker all at once, just to see what would happen! Pool turned blue in three minutes! Liner hated it!!!

1 - That's just because you are above the normal (non-SLAM) daily range. 12 is the correct target based on your CYA.
2 - Correct. When in the SLAM, liquid chlorine is the tool of choice.
So in the sanitizer types it shows 48% or bight of cal hypo. The liquid chlorine we have is 10% hypochlorite. What product has the 48%?

Cal hypo is a powdered chlorine product. Its often sold as powdered “shock”. Stick with liquid for this process.

Read more in pool school.

Cal hypo is a powdered chlorine product. Its often sold as powdered “shock”. Stick with liquid for this process.

Read more in pool school.
Thanks. So in the sanitizer type in the pool app, what would I choose for liquid chlorine. I’m not seeing that as an option.

Bleach is another name for liquid chlorine. Pool liquid chlorine is identical to what you would buy in the grocery laundry aisle, often just stronger in concentration. Any grocery bleach is fine to use also as long as it has no scents or additives. Be careful of that cause iit can be hard to find laundry bleach without additives. Clorox with cloromax tech is an example of an additive which it is recommended to avoid

Any updates?
Still waiting for the test kit (hoping it’s delivered tomorrow), but the pool is no longer green. Pretty crystal clear from adding shock in once a day but still curious to see what our numbers are. We haven’t added any other chemicals. Thanks for checking in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.