Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hello! I feel like I’ve come to the right place and hoping to get some help. We installed our inground, liner 33k gallon SWG pool last September. And pretty much closed it right away as we live in Massachusetts.
We opened the pool last Tuesday and it was pretty green and murky. Pool company used typical shock and algicide as part of the opening process, but after few days it still had not cleared up. My husband used for gallons of shock, and back washing, running our dolphin vacuum and filter. It rained last night and our pool is back to green.
Water test results on Tuesday were:
FC .26
TC 1.41
CC 7.1
PH 7.1
Hardness 233
AK 126
CYA 5
Copper 0
Iron 0
Same 2912

After it rained, our current results are
FC .77
TC 1.01
CC .24
PH 7.7
AK 130
CYA 5
Iron .10
Copper 0
Borates 0
Water temp 57°
Our plan was to dump 4 more gallons of shock in tonight, run the filter over night and use the dolphin in the morning. Are we on the right path to getting this cleared up once and for all??

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• C422C86D-455D-4211-99B4-A800B227F591.jpeg
    C422C86D-455D-4211-99B4-A800B227F591.jpeg
    647.4 KB · Views: 58
  • F2E8D2DF-664D-4EF0-BA04-9D25410FEAC2.jpeg
    F2E8D2DF-664D-4EF0-BA04-9D25410FEAC2.jpeg
    720.3 KB · Views: 61
Hi, Welcome to TFP. Your test results look like pool store results? They cannot be trusted. It will be impossible for the forum users here to give your correct advice with incorrect results. You need to get a proper pool test kit and test the water yourself so that the results can be trusted. Read: Algae Archives

You need to SLAM the pool: SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain

Welcome to TFP! :wave: as noted above, the SLAM Process is how we kill and remover algae. I would not add anymore pool store potions like algaecides or "powdered" shock. Liquid shock (pool chlorine) or regular bleach are fine. But to perform the SLAM Process properly, you must have a good test kit - either a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. That is so you can ensure your FC is balanced to the CYA at the proper SLAM level (see FC/CYA Levels). The link below can also be very helpful.

By the way, do you fill from a well?

Hi, Welcome to TFP. Your test results look like pool store results? They cannot be trusted. It will be impossible for the forum users here to give your correct advice with incorrect results. You need to get a proper pool test kit and test the water yourself so that the results can be trusted. Read: Algae Archives

You need to SLAM the pool: SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain
Thanks, I’ve ordered a Taylor 2006k c kit, but it won’t arrive until Monday so the pool store tests are my only options right now. With a CYA of 5, it looks like putting 8lbs of stabilizer into the pool will raise the level to 40. Does this need to be done in smaller increments instead of all at once ? Thanks

I honestly would not add any stabilizer right now. The store CYA testis awful. In your pool, simply add one gallon of liquid chlorine (10% or 12% strength) to the water each day. You should continue to sweep, brush, and vacuum any junk out of the water if able to reduce the amount of debris. Keep an eye on the filter pressure as it typically increases fairly quickly with algae. But once you receive your K-2006C, post a full set of results and we'll get surgical on your water.

Hello!

Until that test kit arrives, trust nothing the pool store says :) Add that LC every day and let the pump run. If you have leaves or debris on the bottom, scoop it out.

Do you know what algaecide the pool company dumped in there? Was it cooper based? Highly unlikely you have a metals issue but knowing what was added to your pool can help solve the mystery once you get that test kit.

I honestly would not add any stabilizer right now. The store CYA testis awful. In your pool, simply add one gallon of liquid chlorine (10% or 12% strength) to the water each day. You should continue to sweep, brush, and vacuum any junk out of the water if able to reduce the amount of debris. Keep an eye on the filter pressure as it typically increases fairly quickly with algae. But once you receive your K-2006C, post a full set of results and we'll get surgical on your water.
Can I ask a dumb question. Is liquid shock the same as liquid chlorine? My husband bought 4 gallons of this.

Attachments

• 3018FD7C-A077-4694-926E-23E94A242759.jpeg
    3018FD7C-A077-4694-926E-23E94A242759.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 45

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello!

Until that test kit arrives, trust nothing the pool store says :) Add that LC every day and let the pump run. If you have leaves or debris on the bottom, scoop it out.

Do you know what algaecide the pool company dumped in there? Was it cooper based? Highly unlikely you have a metals issue but knowing what was added to your pool can help solve the mystery once you get that test kit.
I really don’t know what type of Algaecide they put in. But for future I’ll be sure to pay more attention!

Reactions: V___25
Generally, yes. It should say the ingredients are 10% or 12.5% sodium hypochlorite
So we manually vaccumed, backwashed, dumped a gallon of shock in and kept the filter on. No change over night. Should we dump 2-3 gallons of shock in this morning?

Attachments

• A23726DE-9C69-4416-BA38-2FA72CB501A5.jpeg
    A23726DE-9C69-4416-BA38-2FA72CB501A5.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 21
Should we dump 2-3 gallons of shock in this morning?
Just one gallon. It won't fix everything, but hopefully slow it down a bit. We can't get specific about chemicals until you get the K-2006C. Our goal is accuracy and efficiency. No wasted time or money anymore.

Reactions: Decoy205
That's a big pool. It's going to take time. In addition to the well question, what type of filter do you have? Sand filters are slower than other types.

Just one gallon. It won't fix everything, but hopefully slow it down a bit. We can't get specific about chemicals until you get the K-2006C. Our goal is accuracy and efficiency. No wasted time or money anymore.
Thanks. Does it make sense to put it in this morning or should we wait 24 hours?

That's a big pool. It's going to take time. In addition to the well question, what type of filter do you have? Sand filters are slower than other types.
It is sand.
Should we be adding DE?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.