New pool owner - advice please :D

The acid demand test is supposed to tell you how much it will take to reach your target. The settings I gave you for PoolMath were assuming 8.0 pH - that may explain the difference.

That sounds like a lot of acid to me, but I don't usually use dry acid, so I'm not sure. At worst, you can start with 1000g and retest - the key here is that you don't want to overshoot and end up with a dangerously low pH.

Trip hit the nail on the head. If pH is over 8.0, the acid demand test is the only way to know how much to add to bring it down. Since TA buffers your pH, the acid demand test is affected by the TA as well, which gives you a good reading. When using pool math for a known pH, make sure TA is properly entered as well so your calculation is correct. Until you get used to acid, always best to not add the whole amount at one time. You can retest pH in 30 minutes or so then add more as needed. As you lower pH, your TA will be lowered as well, so the amount of acid needed to affect pH will be less.

I think I understand it now, thanks both.

So I left it overnight and just re ran test.

PH is still above 8.0
However this time I had to put in 4 drops (was previously 6) of reagent to bring it down to 7.2.
TA is now 90 (was 100)

So taking in account its the number of drops has dropped by 1/3, it makes sense as I put in 700g of dry acid which is roughly 1/3 of the recommended 2100g.

I Have added 500g of dry acid and will retest shortly.

one outstanding question I have is when do I open the sump/drain valve? At the moment I have the filter just running on the skimmer valve.

** the instructions in the Taylor manual do not mention TA for this test.

The acid demand test already accounts for the TA. The TA is resisting each drop of acid you are adding. No need for you to worry about TA when doing the acid demand test, just need to make sure it is entered when using pool math.

Let's just leave the main drain closed for now.

Add another 300g, so total now of 1500g.

PH still 8.0
Took 3 drops to take it down to 7.1

Could there be a possibility that it's not getting mixed correctly due to the drain valvle not being ON?

Manual states 2 drops add 738g, 3 drops add 1100g !

Looks like Il be hitting my initial figure of just over 2000g !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Morning,

tested PH again just to be sure and it has remained at 7.4.

5 CYA tests have all reported back CYA at 60.

Chart shows shock level as 24.

on a 45000litre and starting FC as 0 , pool math has suggested adding 7.2litres of 15% bleach.

just so I have an idea in mind, how much bleach should I stock up on? At the moment I have 20litres.

Also, the pump is running and water is being circulated (skimmer on, drain off) however without the middle piece to the skimmer filter it's hardley clearing any surface debris Off. Shall I leave this as it is until the water clears up a little.

SLAM progresion;

8:30am
7.2L bleach added to shock level 24

11am
FC = 12
CC = 0.5
3.5L bleach added to shock level to 24

14:30pm
FC = 20
CC = 1
1.2L bleach added to shock level to 24

i have been brushing down the walls every few hours.

just worried will I have enough R0871 Reagent to get me through the SLAM?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.