New pool owner - advice please :D

Pretty simple - use 5ml of water, each drop is 1ppm of FC (so 10 drops = 10 FC). It's key to make sure your sample is as close to be exactly 5 as possible for the least error (the bottom of the meniscus of water needs to be exactly on 5 while the sample container is on a level surface, and if you're going to do an OCLT, use the 10ml sample size instead.

Thanks, will switch to that for the next tests.

so just under 12 hours since I started my SLAM, my chlorine usage has now dropped :

SLAM progresion;

8:30am
FC = 0
CC = 0
7.2L bleach added to shock level 24

11am
FC = 12
CC = 0.5
3.5L bleach added to shock level to 24

14:30pm
FC = 20
CC = 1
1.2L bleach added to shock level to 24

19:15pm
FC = 21.5
CC = 1
750ml bleach added to shock level to 24

i take it everything is Goin to plan? Or is this better than expected at this stage ?

As bad as the pictures made it look, I think you are making great progress. Stay on top of the testing, topping off the chlorine, brushing, and checking filter pressure. Don't forget to post pics daily for us to experience the transformation with you. Your pool will be sparkling in no time.

Not had a chance untill now to test FC (since this morning).

I have lost just 3ppm FC during 10 hours (which is all daylight)

17/4 - 08:15
FC = 18
CC = 2
1.8L bleach added to shock level to 24

18:00
FC=21
CC = 2
900ml bleach added to shock level to 24

what it looks like this eve...

Got a blue tint to it now :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good morning TFP people!

I woke up this morning to bleachy/soapy like spots in the pool water. After running a FC/CC test there was no loss in the last 10 hours. The last 2 tests were done after sunset and just after sunrise.

18/4/17
21:30
FC = 20
CC = 1
1.2L bleach added to shock level to 24

19/4/17
07:30
FC = 24
CC = 0

I guess I am winning this battle!

In 24 hours i have lost 3ppm FC
0 FC was lost over night, 3ppm was lost during day
CC has been 0 on the last few tests

Could some one explain what is going on in my pool at the moment? Am i correct in thinking that as CC is 0 ( and no FC loss over night) all algae is dead? The water cloudiness is due to the dead algae?

Cleaned filter and backwashed yesterday.

Problem is my skimmer filter is not running to 100% full potential - the skimmer floating collar was making rapid movements up and down so i have removed that part, which has drastically reduced the way the skimmer works.

My drain is still closed yet.... when shall i open this (hoping the skimmer collar starts working correctly when the pump pressure is split)? Best to wait till i can see through to the bottom of the pool?

I didn't actually have time to test today until now (9pm) so it's 24 hours since I topped shock to 24.

FC loss 4ppm in 24 hours
CC = 0 (has been 0 the last 3 tests over 3 days.)

Can see a bit more of the walls, floor and the return flow pipe.

Could I get some clarification on if I should now open the main drain please?

Give it a go if you want. With the pool clearing, your circulation is good enough. It should help with filtering, so you may want to watch filter pressure a little closer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.