New pool, Manor, Texas

They will be way back far from the pool. We have about 20 or more feet to the fence. Our yard is very deep. So, if they do shed (and they may), there is no issue with the pool. We have one in our front yard and our neighbors have several. I haven't noticed any mess under or around them. I just think the darker colors are so beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes...exactly what I'm hoping for. When we return from vacation, we will have a transformed yard. We have only had a slab (super small) like 3x3 in our back yard for 9 years. And grass. We planted two trees and talked about ideas. But our backyard is extremely hot. We get the setting sun. It is roasting out there from noon until dark. (Our backyard faces west). So, a pool just made sense. So even though our new deck is concrete, we are ecstatic. And the fact that we are getting a pergola across the entire back of our house is just a dream come true.

Once this is complete, I want to build a structure behind the pool for additional seating, privacy from the two story neighbors and I just like the idea. We also want raised landscaping along the back fence. I'd like crepe myrtles, but not sure. This pool building just makes me want to do more. Anyone else have that issue?

Boy howdy! I've got that disease BAD - pool building making me want to do more and more and more and......

I just love hearing you talk about your future plans! And it's good to know what ya'll have had the past nine years. This really IS a dream come true for you guys. OH MY, a 3x3 slab and facing the west?! Ya'll have come up with the perfect answers, and it's been a long time coming. Your vacation will continue now even when you get home! The pergola across the back of the house will really help with the heat by breaking up that blazing Texas sun (we all know OUR sun is hotter than anyone else's - LOL!!!). I have to admit I'm glad I don't live in Arizona or Vegas! Their heat would melt this bluebonnet!

You're sounding like me! I'm all for the raised beds across the back! And you have the space that will set that off beautifully.

I love crepe myrtles! They are everywhere here in Houston. I think we love them so, because we have so many pines. Crepe myrtles let us play like we have a fall and winter. Their leaves turn gorgeous colors in the fall and then drop in the winter. I have a HUGE one in the back corner behind our pool. All the tree, landscape, and even the pool people have said to leave it. The only person who insisted I cut it down was Yucky First Landscaper Guy.

Personally, I do have concerns about the mess they make, but mine is much closer to the pool than yours will be. Sooooooooo ....... I'll test it out for you. If I can deal with the mess with the tree being close to my pool, then you'll have no problem!!! (so generous of me, right?! Ha ha). If they would only drop there flowers, berries, and leaves straight down, it wouldn't be a problem. But even with a light breeze, stuff goes everywhere. It's the only tree I have left in the back. It's a lovely focal point in the yard, so I'm really hoping to keep it. I think it all depends on how much you want something that determines your willingness to deal with it.

This is so much fun! You know what you've done, don't you???? You've just left the door wide open for Kimkats to start spending your money!!!! She's a master! And Ascew is our design genius with her amazing, creative talents! And I have Pinterest where I can copy their ideas for you!!! Oh, my brain is whirling!!!!

So much fun! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Suz.

P.S. has anyone else noticed since TFP's hiccups, our bouncey guy seems to be a bit flatter? He just hasn't 'bounced back'....... (ouch!)

This is so much fun! You know what you've done, don't you???? You've just left the door wide open for Kimkats to start spending your money!!!! She's a master! And Ascew is our design genius with her amazing, creative talents! And I have Pinterest where I can copy their ideas for you!!! Oh, my brain is whirling!!!!

How is this for team work????????????

I will throw out an idea for spending J's money

Suz you find the ideas on Pintesrst

Ascew you design it out like you did for Suz!

DONE!

LOL

Kim

Suz, you are right. This is a solution to a long time problem. Our backyard was basically unusable space. It looked okay, but no one could stand the heat.

Just to have a concrete, salt washed deck is a step up. :) I think we are going to regret not getting the spa. We are getting older and have many aches and pains. It would have been great. Our PB just steered us away from it.

Our hope is to not only get some use for our backyard, but to have a way to get exercise. We are facing retirement in the near future and want to enjoy it. We both need to lose weight, but differing issues make it difficult for us to get other forms of exercise.
Our community has a lovely 4acre water park with a junior sized Olympic pool. They have adult swim in the early morning and late evening. We go occasionally and love it. But it's really difficult to work around their hours. We both prefer the convenience and privacy this will offer.

And of course, we are anticipating grandkids coming and spending time with us. [emoji3]

We have over 15 grandchildren and two great grandchildren ranging in ages of 1-23. We are pretty certain they will get more enjoyment from this than the grass we had. [emoji3]

I would love to share ideas. I have found several in this site. And if Kimkats wants to help me spend some money, great! But I think we will have to recover for a few months from this huge splurge first. [emoji3]

Okay, I saw what I want on another persons site. I think I want a raised wooden deck behind the pool. Then we could use the raised beams for benches, perhaps. I think raising the floor wood allow a better view into the pool area. And it would provide some shade/privacy.
I think I want a covered area for my outdoor furniture there. I'm dreaming.

Once, the deck is poured, and trash cleaned, I will get you some pictures. My husband and I keep quoting that commercial where the two wealthy girls keep outbidding each other at an auction by accident. One says to the other, "Like, Daddy says, 'Money is no good unless you spend it!''(or something like that).

Every time we have to write a check, we just look at each other and say that! [emoji3][emoji23]
It helps alleviate the stress of spending so much money on this. So, yeah, let's spend some more.[emoji3]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I heard some movement in my back yard this morning. I was hoping it was PB.
When I got up I looked outside and lo and behold... The bonding of the deck to the pool had been done (copper wire for grounding). This was the last step before inspection, which is scheduled for Monday. Pour is scheduled for Tuesday. It's salt finish. My understanding is that it is a pretty quick process. So, by the end of next week, I'm expecting cleaner yard, deck, and fence completed. Then we are going on vacation. Pergolas will be completed by the time we return. Then, we will be waiting for plaster. That's our timeline as of today. [emoji3]

A couple of idea photos for the future backyard plans!

You mentioned building a structure to give shade and privacy. Maybe this fence arbor would be less expensive - more of a DIYer - for in the meantime. No shade help, but some privacy.

Same idea, just a bit different.

I don't know what type of pergola ya'll are building. I found this on Pinterest ages ago and saved it for myself. Some day I want a pergola for shade, but want it both ways - open at times and closed at times. The pergolas that come ready with some type of retractable shade are expensive. This looks like a DIY project.

We built a pergola for my son's house 2 years ago over the 4 th weekend (not a smart idea- way too hot!). His has cross cross 1x2s on top. He now has deciduous vines growing up it so it provides shade in summer but let's sun in in winter.

So, by the end of next week, I'm expecting cleaner yard, deck, and fence completed. Then we are going on vacation. Pergolas will be completed by the time we return. Then, we will be waiting for plaster. That's our timeline as of today. [emoji3]

WOW! Talk about planning it right! When you get back, you have to promise to post pics ASAP! We will all be :bounce::bounce::bounce:!! You southerners have much different plants then we do up north, but I am always up for learning new stuff. I am thinking about a trellis or "half pergola" like Suz's pictures in my yard, with either grape vines or another hydroponics system climbing it. Grapes and cucumbers are great vines that have huge leaves to add shade. Anyway, when you get back, and we get pics......oh what fun we will have!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.