New Pool: Installing "Auto-Fill" vs Fill Line Controlled by Sprinkler Controller

tfp_fan

Oct 27, 2020
Houston, Texas
My builder proposed Paramount Paralevel as the auto-fill unit for my new pool. I received this comment from one of the TFP members who had chosen not to have autofill for his pool: "I have a Rachio smart controller, which makes things very easy. One of my sprinkler zones operates an irrigation valve that fills the pool. The main benefit is simplicity and control. I don't have the risk of the autofill malfunctioning. I don't have to adjust anything. I have complete control over the water level. If I know it's going to rain, I can anticipate by allowing the water level to be a little low. This saves a lot of water, which is quite expensive in my MUD. Traditional autofill cisterns are not chlorinated by the pool and can start to grow organics and they're one more thing to clean."
I am thinking what the benefit of the auto-fill is (considering all the above issues)? Currently, I have Rachio for my irrigation system, and I will also have Pentair IntelliCenter for the pool automation. I would like to have your opinions and comments to help me decide if I ask the builder to install auto fill; or add fill line controlled by my Rachio sprinkler controller (or IntelliCenter in case it can be another option for controlling)? Any comment(s) would be appreciated.

I have an autofill, and it works. In fact, I put a piece of black electrical tape about 1/8" above the water line just to see. The water is always at that level. Of course, I have an overflow drain that runs out to the street, so overfill from rain is not normally a concern (it really hasn't been a concern lately here in the Houston area!) The drawback to my autofil is just this: It taps in to a hose bib, and my hose bibs are soft water. The sprinkler system taps into the water line ahead of the water softener, so that's not a problem. And my soft water is not a problem for the plants, as I use potassium chloride rather than sodium. However, the autofill is still adding softened water, so the calcium and magnesium have been removed. As a result, I buy potassium chloride for $24 a bag to take the calcium out of the water, and then I buy calcium chloride to get the pool water Calcium Hardness up to recommended levels. I don't have an unused zone on my sprinkler system, or I might consider that approach and turn off autofill except when we're away. If you don't have a water softener, then the autofill is pretty convenient and you won't have my low calcium issue--be sure you have an overflow drain in case it gets stuck on, though.

Fan,

I am not sure the quote you provided is very accurate, but I can tell you that I use my EasyTouch to control a sprinkler valve that fills my pool. The down side and up side for this are the same.. I have total control of when I fill the pool.. At the same time, it is up to me to make sure I monitor the water level.. Both good and bad...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I still want to use a sprinkler valve. IN fact Wyze is releasing an affordable smart sprinkler controller that reads the weather and will not come on if it's raining for $50..Wyze is making all kinds of cool stuff and it's all a lot cheaper then other companies.
They even have a video doorbell for $29!

We debated whether to get the auto fill. Our pool designer said he's seen problems with them and only recommended the electric type, the more expensive one. Anyway, the kicker was "IF" we go on vacation, the autofill will make sure our pool is okay when we're gone. At least that tid bit did it for hubby. Yes we are getting one and yes it is expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.