New Pool in PA. Fiberglass Inground 16x40

Amubu

Jun 10, 2020
York, PA
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and we are having our pool installed. This will be our first pool and I will be looking here for as much advise as possible. We went with a Fiberglass pool from Latham (Monaco 16x40) with all Pentair products. We are the first "automated" pool from the installer so we got a pretty nice deal and I look forward to all the bells and whistles. I feared to get a pool for a long time due to the amount of maintenance involved.

Attached are some photos of the installation so far. The builder is highly rated and the crew has been amazing so far.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what normal maintenance and care items I should be purchasing, and what are the recommended brands for quality items that won't break after one season. Are there any recommended kits?

Thanks everyone, I look forward to learning as I go and this site should be everything I need!

Attachments

• FIMI0016.JPG
    FIMI0016.JPG
    526 KB · Views: 174
  • FIMI0023 (2).JPG
    FIMI0023 (2).JPG
    729.5 KB · Views: 168
  • FIMI0014.JPG
    FIMI0014.JPG
    586.6 KB · Views: 211
  • FIMI0067.JPG
    FIMI0067.JPG
    637.4 KB · Views: 214
first welcome your gona love the help here ....well your going to need a good test kit i use as well as many others here a tf 100 test kit ( you will feel like a lab tec when you get it lol) then you can post results of your fill water e1 likes a signature look at the bottom of my post @kimkats will give you links . listing all your equipment with model #s helps too. read pool school for sure

You're gonna love that pool! It looks like mine only bigger.
What do you mean by "automated"? Give equipment names and we'll chime in with suggestions, and possible improvements if we see a need.

How do you plan to chlorinate?
Have you considered if you'll need a cover for when you close?

You want a Variable Speed Pump for sure....just NOT the SVRS or VF ones!!!

Test Kit...order now so you can be ready and an early test of your fill water is handy: www.tftestkits.net Go for the TF-100, and if you're getting salt get the K-1766 add on also. Look at the Smart Stir device at the same time. NO ONE regrets that splurge, but its entirely optional.

Maddie

Thank you all for the replies, I did not list out my equipment yet as, well, I don't know for sure all of the model numbers. This is mostly because the Pentair Rep for the PB is providing the equipment as it is intended to be a sort of showcase for the PB. This PB has rave reviews and the work I have seen them do before has been very nice, so I fully trust them. I set up the order and everything while I was deployed so I had to make all the decisions remotely.

But what I do know is as follows:
Latham Monaco 16x40 Fiberglass
Smith Diving board
Pentair Magic Bowl (x2)
Mesh safety cover

Pentair Ultratemp High-Performance Heat Pump
Pentair Intellicenter Control System
Pentair Microbrite Color LED Lights (x 3)
Pentair Intelliflo VSF pump
Pentair System:3 Mod Media Filter
Pentair Intellichlor Salt Chlorine Generator (I believe the IC40)

I have the pool specs from the manufacturer for recommended chemical levels and will be buying what I need according to the TFP chemical list. I'm interested in the automation system as I may have the water chemistry controller in the system as well, I would back it up with weekly tests (Taylor TF-100 probably, with the K 1766 addon) to ensure accuracy.

Today they set the pool in place and started some plumbing, tomorrow they finish the plumbing and electrical and finish the backfill. Friday should be rough grading, more electrical, and prep for concrete.

We plan on doing a 3 foot stained/stamped concrete around the pool, then later on adding pavers for the decking.

I built pedestals for the Magic Bowls to sit on with some Genstone Keystone corner pieces. Waiting for the caps to come in tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20200616_185634.jpg
    20200616_185634.jpg
    985.9 KB · Views: 83
A,

I think Maddie is thinking about my very problematic IntelliFlo with the SVRS option.. Which I strongly discourage..

The IntelliFlo VSF is a good pump.. I do not personally like the "Flow" part of the pump as it often causes a lot of confusion for new pool owners.. Very few pools need the VF portion of the pump.. I always recommend that the VSF pump be initially set up using only the Variable Speed functions.. After the pool is up and running smoothly, if you find the need for the VF function you can just change the settings.

If I were to buy a new IntelliFlo today, I would by the VS P/N 011028.

You will love your new Saltwater pool.. :thumleft:

I have had the EasyTouch automation for the past 6 years and love it.. But.. if I were to build a new pool today, I would buy the new IntelliCenter.. I would make sure your Pool builder is giving you the IntelliCenter with the built-in SWCG power supply, which includes the IC40..

How many gallons will your pool be??? We recommend that a SWCG be rated for at least 2 X the volume of your pool. (In your area 1.5 X would work fine..)

I strongly suggest that you do not by the IntelliChem.. They do not work as many of our member have found out.. The marketing is great, the actual operation is not.. You can always add it later if you want., but a SWCG pool is so easy to care for it is just a waste of money..

Thanks,

Jim R.

A,

I think Maddie is thinking about my very problematic IntelliFlo with the SVRS option.. Which I strongly discourage..

The IntelliFlo VSF is a good pump.. I do not personally like the "Flow" part of the pump as it often causes a lot of confusion for new pool owners.. Very few pools need the VF portion of the pump.. I always recommend that the VSF pump be initially set up using only the Variable Speed functions.. After the pool is up and running smoothly, if you find the need for the VF function you can just change the settings.

If I were to buy a new IntelliFlo today, I would by the VS P/N 011028.

You will love your new Saltwater pool.. :thumleft:

I have had the EasyTouch automation for the past 6 years and love it.. But.. if I were to build a new pool today, I would buy the new IntelliCenter.. I would make sure your Pool builder is giving you the IntelliCenter with the built-in SWCG power supply, which includes the IC40..

How many gallons will your pool be??? We recommend that a SWCG be rated for at least 2 X the volume of your pool. (In your area 1.5 X would work fine..)

I strongly suggest that you do not by the IntelliChem.. They do not work as many of our member have found out.. The marketing is great, the actual operation is not.. You can always add it later if you want., but a SWCG pool is so easy to care for it is just a waste of money..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the feedback!
The automation products were thrown in for the pool deal, at the expense of Pentair apparently to entice our PB to start installing the systems in the area. This is why I am not 100% on all of the automation items that are included, but I was sent all the brochures of what I will be getting, minus the part numbers. The intellicenter was one of those brochures, of which I would believe the SCG would be included. It was estimated that in all the automation was around $4500 worth of equipment.

I will update as we go. Also, I just got my new Fimi X8 quadcopter so I am videoing the whole process as much as I can. I'll link my google photos album later. It's uploading low-quality video footage at the moment for some reason, I'll end up editing all my video and posting the build on youtube to share probably. I'm learning how to do aerial videography at the moment lol.

Cheers!

Reactions: Apsuhead
@Jimrahbe will tell you why you don't want that problematic VSF pump. He's good at checking over equipment and I trust him explicitly.

Those pedestals are the bomb.dot.com!! Gorgeous!!

Maddie

Thanks for the heads-up, but it sounds like the ones I should be getting are a-ok.

I can't wait for the pedestals to be sitting where they need to be with their caps on and bowls on top!

Also, I think someone asked what the capacity of the pool is, I believe it is listed at 21k gallons but some calculators are putting it at 27k.

Here is a link to what Google Photos did to some of my clips so far:
New video by Michael Potter

Looks like it's going to be a beautiful pool! Curious what color of finish that is for your pool? I've got a 14'x30' Majesty from Latham being dug for right now.
Thanks!

Its taking much longer than anticipated, not sure if items were ordered when they should have been. The forms for the concrete aren't in yet, the pump hasn't arrived, and one light still hasn't been delivered. Also waiting on the second MagicBowl.

The finish of the pool was the G2 Ocean Blue, we absolutely love it.

It should be done by August...

Reactions: CircaSurvivalist

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking forward to more pics of your project for sure. I have been looking for a pool build, in fiberglass, with the Ocean Blue color for a while now, and never found one on this site. Now, it looks like there are at least two under construction now, and mine later in the year. Exciting times and nice video!

Pool looks great! I’m getting a 16x38 fiberglass pool installed in November and it be placed longways on the side like your setup. I’m going to try to do a time lapse video from an upstairs window during install. Keep the pics coming 👍

Thanks!

Its taking much longer than anticipated, not sure if items were ordered when they should have been. The forms for the concrete aren't in yet, the pump hasn't arrived, and one light still hasn't been delivered. Also waiting on the second MagicBowl.

The finish of the pool was the G2 Ocean Blue, we absolutely love it.

It should be done by August...
Same finish here! Ours was delivered Wednesday and I love the finish as well. I wanted the night sky finish, but decided to succeed to that battle haha!

The pump is installed and water is circulating! I ran the signal wire inside to my network last night so they can hardwire the Intellicenter. The lights arrived, and they should be installing those here soon. Concrete should start next week. The lights are waiting for the transformer which they don't have.

One of the magicbowls arrived broken. I have to get the column caps set up to be able to support them, they are massive!

More pics will come soon, I have to get them off the sd card and upload them.

I too thought of going with Night Sky but the lady convinced me otherwise. I don't think it would have been a bad choice at all, but we do love the Ocean Blue so I'm not complaining.

Reactions: Apsuhead
My only comments for you. Consider doing concrete decking not pavers. Pavers (unless set on concrete slab) will erode from underneath around a pool, and you will end up with uneven pavers.

As for this statement
I have the pool specs from the manufacturer for recommended chemical levels and will be buying what I need according to the TFP chemical list.
Trust the levels that you will find here on TFP. Go with those numbers, ignore the others that you might have.

Reactions: Amubu
My only comments for you. Consider doing concrete decking not pavers. Pavers (unless set on concrete slab) will erode from underneath around a pool, and you will end up with uneven pavers.

As for this statement

Trust the levels that you will find here on TFP. Go with those numbers, ignore the others that you might have.

The coping and immediate area around the pool will be stamped/colored concrete. 3 ft along the sides and 5 ft at the ends.

I would rather be able to redo my pavers than have to fix cracks in concrete later down the road, so the areas outside of that will be pavers. Also, I will be doing the paver work myself so I will be saving money there.

Current status (taken from security camera remotely, sorry for the poor quality)

1594909995585.png

Hello, nice pool!

We live in New Freedom, PA and looking at the Latham Axiom (4-14 week out) Could you share your pool builder? We are still researching and trying to figure out if most all builders are using flex pvc to plumb the pool? Seems the cheap and easy way out but not sure. Thanks!!

Its been way too long since this journey began. Somewhat unbelievable. The final inspection from the township was completed last week and there was an issue with the ground wire and an alarm that needed to be installed on my sliding glass door. Unfortunately, I'm not happy with the end result, specifically regarding the concrete.

Issues:
Several items were not ordered when I signed my contract causing major delays (3rd microbrite light, pump, transformers, magicbowls, etc)
Poorly scheduled subcontractors, some of the work (electrical) could have and should have been completed prior to the pool arriving.
Poor gameplan and shoot from the hip site prep (on the day of the dig "Where do you want it?")
Some days, we weren't sure if they were coming back to finish...
The concrete subcontractor isn't prepared to complete pool jobs (using single-use forms instead of reusable forms to cut back on waiting times for ordering forms specifically)
Concrete subcontractor caused the largest delay (about a month) blaming not having forms yet.
I had to consistently remind them about the details, like its colored and stamped concrete that we requested from the get-go.
Apparently, a diving board wasn't ordered and there was confusion on customers who were getting a diving board and who wasn't.
Plumbing was not buried deep enough from the equipment pad to the pool.
Concrete was not finished to the level of professionalism that I would expect
1. Cracks in the coping at the joints, how long will it be before my coping has chunks missing?
2. Curved joints where they should be straight
3. Sharp edges on the coping
4. Unfinished textures on the coping
5. Exposed joint filler ends
6. Handrail is installed crooked
7. Umbrella bases are sloppy and covered in concrete
8. Edging wasn't cleaned up or trowed properly (will probably have chipping later on)
9. Slippery untextured spots, especially by the diving board
10. The concrete at the diving board is only 4" thick
11. 1/8" - 1/4" low spots next to joints causing tripping hazards
12. Repeating pattern since they only used one stamp
13. They used the pool water to clean their brushes while putting on the stain and sealants which gummed up the skimmer and lord knows how it affected my pool equipment)
14. Concrete and sealant smeared onto the fiberglass at the waterline.
15. Pool Ladder has greater than 6" between ladder and pool wall and is not plumb.
16. Intellivalve does not work, due to a malfunctioning circuit breaker.
17. Easytouch wireless control unit isn't hooked up because it is missing the transceiver.
18. Due to the time it took to complete the grading, my basement flooded as the water was being sloped TOWARDS my house.
19. Joints were covered with stain and sealant, which will eventually flake off and look blistered.

I'm also not very impressed with the Pentair Automation. The hook into Alexa doesn't work all that reliably, but I will withhold comments until I get everything running properly.

Also, the Pentair Intellicenter really needs some security attention, I don't think Pentair knows what a pentest or vulnerability scan is... This thing is open to the world and if you don't install it on its own VLAN that is firewalled off from your home network it's an open door to anyone.

Here is my full album from Google Photos:

Attachments

• 20200808_210411.jpg
    20200808_210411.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 20200807_212403.jpg
    20200807_212403.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200805_201139.jpg
    20200805_201139.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 20200805_200912.jpg
    20200805_200912.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20200805_200735.jpg
    20200805_200735.jpg
    762.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200805_195838.jpg
    20200805_195838.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200805_193502.jpg
    20200805_193502.jpg
    811.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 20200805_193211.jpg
    20200805_193211.jpg
    757.2 KB · Views: 69
Sorry to hear about all the problems. I really like your pool and the steps that go all the way across the entire front. Those water features are great, especially at night! Awesome drone videos and pics. Thanks for sharing 👍

Reactions: Amubu

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.