New pool in Oklahoma

I've been lurking and reading here for some time now. Started the build on our pool in October and just got it plastered last weekend and filled by Monday evening 2-4-19. Weather here in Oklahoma has not cooperated last last month or so of the build process.
Fighting mud, rain and frozen ground has been fun. Pool builder has been working on stabilizing the water this week and so far we are impressed with the builder and build process.
I set it up with Ozone, UV and SWG. Not my first pool, but my first SW pool. Contemplating and trying to decide to tackle taking care of it myself or hiring the pool care company that maintains my neighbors pool.
Attached a few pictures of the build process. I've learned a lot reading here and sure I will have many questions.

Attachments

• IMG_0740.jpg
    IMG_0740.jpg
    654.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0840.jpg
    IMG_0840.jpg
    754.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    668.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0984.jpeg
    IMG_0984.jpeg
    728.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1190.jpeg
    IMG_1190.jpeg
    589.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1223.jpeg
    IMG_1223.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 20
From another Okie...Welcome to the forum! At first, I thought you might be my neighbor since they are having a pool put in right now, too...but looks you are on Grand Lake which is just a *little* bit down the road from OKC. Nonetheless, looks like it's going to be awesome when done and lucky you...just in time for pool season!

LOG,

So, since you have been "lurking and reading here for some time now " care to share why you installed UV and Ozone even though we universally do not recommend using them?

I sure like the view... Very pretty... My view is my neighbor's house... :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

LOG,

So, since you have been "lurking and reading here for some time now " care to share why you installed UV and Ozone even though we universally do not recommend using them?

I sure like the view... Very pretty... My view is my neighbor's house... :)

Thanks,

Jim R.
Well Jimrahbe, I guess I didn't lurk soon enough or deep enough to have learned that you universally do not recommend them. Had not made it to that part of your information. Guess I should go find that area and lurk a little deeper and see why.

LOG,

On the positive side, we do recommend saltwater pools and SWCGs... I think you will love you new saltwater pool... If I were to build myself another 100 pools, they would all be saltwater pools.. Easy to care for and the water feels great!!

I assume that you understand that a saltwater pool is a chlorine pool.. But, instead of manually adding chlorine as your sanitizer, the Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) makes chlorine gas from the salt in the water... It is a great system, as long as you understand how it works and what it can and cannot do..

I recommend that you try to maintain your own pool.. It is dirt simple.. If I can do it, anyone can do it... :) If you follow the TFP pool care methods, your pool will be the best pool in your neighborhood.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I will share a set of links I put together for new pool owners. You might have already seen some of them but want you to have them all just in case:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Look in my siggy below to find the test kit I think is the best bang for the buck.

As for letting someone else care for your new plaster I want you to think about this. They come once a week to "care" for your pool. What they do is add so much stuff to push the levels up such as Free Chlorine. They do this in hopes some of the chemicals will still be in the pool when they back in a week. This is VERY hard on any plaster but VERY hard on new plaster as it is still curing. Following the TFP methods will help your plaster last longer and truly be Trouble Free!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Living on Grand