SE Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello, well it's a sad day here in MI as I am closing up the pool for the winter :(

The good news about this is that I am about to order the new pool equipment I've been wanting. I've been waiting for the filter to come in as it has been on backorder and I just got the email saying it is back in stock.

I am going with the Ultimate Combo package from CircuPool that includes the RJ-60 SWG, 3.0 VS pump, 400 sq. ft cartridge filter, and a pre-filter.

Before I pull the trigger on this purchase I wanted to ask a couple of questions, but I need to provide a little back story:
We bought this house (and pool) this summer. The family we bought it from - bought the house on foreclosure, so they had no information about the pool build. I tried to see what info I could get from the city when the pool was built - turns out that whoever built the pool never pulled the necessary permits so nobody knows what's "underground". The sellers ended up having to get a "permit after the fact" but that was a fairly basic thing where someone inspected the plumbing, electrical, codes, etc. to make sure there were no obvious safety issues and to get the necessary variances since the pool was built in a utility easement!

Fast forward to now - the pool equipment is VERY old and the heater stopped working altogether so I am replacing it all.

All the plumbing above ground that I can see is 2" PVC. I have no clue what was used underground or if I need to be worried about that. FWIW, I do plan to hire a local pool company to do the installation because the idea of attempting this myself scares me :eek:

Do I need to be concerned about "what I can't see" or is there some way of determining what the plumbing situation is underground? Are there any questions I should be asking but not thinking of? Any questions or issues I should be discussing with the pool company? It's a lot of money so I'm scared of messing it all up and making a mistake.

Thanks all - I would like to add I am extremely jealous of those of you who live somewhere that your pool is still swimmable :cool:

Attachments

• Backyard Pool3.jpg
    Backyard Pool3.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0042 copy.jpg
    IMG_0042 copy.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    444.9 KB · Views: 19
Oh! and one more question - maybe from those who have purchased this package...

I can order this equipment (package) either directly from CircuPool or from Discount Salt Pool - everything is identical in terms of equipment (as far as I can tell) but DSP is approx. $200 more than going directly through CircuPool. Am I overlooking something? Do I get something from DSP that I don't get from the Mfg?

Do I need to be concerned about "what I can't see" or is there some way of determining what the plumbing situation is underground?
If it was done in one shot, The quality parts used above (Jandy never lube valves for example) leads to thoughts that the whole thing was done right with forever in mind and it’s simply that the equipment is aged. There is always a chance that halfway along the previous owners replaced all the parts that you can see and did it well, but connected them to not great things that were buried.

Either way it’s 2 totally separate things. If you were also tearing up the patio, Then now would be the time to at least thoroughly inspect the buried plumbing an make the call if replacement was needed, but now is not that time. You know ?

You can dig down a foot under the valves and see if it looks like the PVC continues. That’s where they most likely would have spliced into the original plumbing if the pad was redone previously. If it looks to all be the same, chances are it is the whole way and you have a few decades left.
I can order this equipment (package) either directly from CircuPool or from Discount Salt Pool
They are one and the same. DSP is Circupools public sales division (or whatever that would be called in the business world). Usually if one was more expensive in that situation it would have a better warranty. If everything is equal, then go the cheaper route.

Reactions: Stephs2125
If it was done in one shot, The quality parts used above (Jandy never lube valves for example) leads to thoughts that the whole thing was done right with forever in mind and it’s simply that the equipment is aged. There is always a chance that halfway along the previous owners replaced all the parts that you can see and did it well, but connected them to not great things that were buried.

Either way it’s 2 totally separate things. If you were also tearing up the patio, Then now would be the time to at least thoroughly inspect the buried plumbing an make the call if replacement was needed, but now is not that time. You know ?

You can dig down a foot under the valves and see if it looks like the PVC continues. That’s where they most likely would have spliced into the original plumbing if the pad was redone previously. If it looks to all be the same, chances are it is the whole way and you have a few decades left.

They are one and the same. DSP is Circupools public sales division (or whatever that would be called in the business world). Usually if one was more expensive in that situation it would have a better warranty. If everything is equal, then go the cheaper route.
Thank you VERY much :)

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.