New Pool Equipment

dmev13

Apr 27, 2021
Long Island
Hey all,

Long time reader/lurker here. Just wanted to thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge this forum brings to light!! I am in the process of adding a new sun deck and stadium stairs to our original 16 x 36 pool. We are also redoing our patio around the pool as well. As an insurance policy I am having the plumbing replaced since it was the original plumbing from the pool was first installed (guessing mid 90's). The PB is installing new 1.5" PVC. It was also time tp upgrade our pool equipment. I am in the market for a new pool pump, propane pool heater and salt water generator. Our "old" pool had an inline chlorinator and I new to the salt water world. So a couple questions/opinions for everyone:

Is 1.5" PVC an appropriate size pipe to use? Seems like all the pumps I've been looking at have 2" fittings
Which size/brand variable pump does you recommend?
Looking for recommendations on a propane pool heater?
What are the effects of a salt water generator on a propane heater?

I'm sure I will have more questions along the way. I appreciate everyones help and thoughts.

Thanks!!

Is 1.5" PVC an appropriate size pipe to use? Seems like all the pumps I've been looking at have 2" fittings
1.5" plumbing will work on most VS pumps. If the pool has been working with a single speed pump, there's no reason a VS pump won't.
Which size/brand variable pump does you recommend?
I like Pentair equipment and it's generally well-regarded here on the forum. An Intelliflo VS is the gold standard (mdl# 011028 or 011056). It's a 3 HP pump, but you don't have to use all that power. Running at low speeds will increase efficiency. Will you have it professionally installed? If it will be a DIY install, look for the "EC" in front model number (EC-011028). These are sold by "E-Commerce" dealers and come with a one-year warranty. The Intelliflo's little brother, the Superflo VS would probably work as well. You would need to run it at higher speeds than the Intelliflo.
Looking for recommendations on a propane pool heater?
Bump...for more help.
What are the effects of a salt water generator on a propane heater?
Proper water chemistry, following TFP recommended levels will help to add life to all equipment. Salt alone will have no negative effects on a heater. Low pH levels can cause damage. Invest in one of the recommended test kits.

Edit: Make sure your test kit includes the Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit.

There are lots of options out there for equipment. Giving you a bump for more recommendations.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.