Help with a new pool

Bvo44

Dec 30, 2023
Kansas
I am new to the pool world. I have been doing hours or research on this website and I really appreciate all the expertise that is provided. We about to start construction on a pool on a new house. This will not be a primary residence so we are tying to make it as automated as possible. We are looking at a fiberglass pool and specifically a 40' Imagine Exquisite that is a pool/spa combo which is 6'6" deep that would be salt water. We are currently looking at a bid with the specific equipment. We plan on having an automatic cover and where we live in Kansas it is under direct sun so we were concerned it would be too hot during the summer so we think we would need the cooling function of the heat pump. We only have access to propane at this site. We would like to keep the pool open from early April until Thanksgiving. The PB uses Pentair. Currently they are proposing

1.) 2 heaters a heat pump (with a cooling feature) and a Propane heater 300k or 400k BTU. We would like the heat pump to be the primary and then use the propane to quickly heat up the spa and to use on the very edge months of our time frame if need be. Also we want to be able to heat up quickly so we don't need to plan too far in adavance.

2.) 2 filtration systems (glass media) and 2 SWC. One of each for the spa and for the spa. I did not think this would be needed because and though based on my reading we would only use one of each but would like to have your opinions and if there are any benefits of 2.

3.). They were thinking 10 -12 jets (would like to have your opinion on this as well for jets). They recommended 3 pumps 2 to the spa and 1 to the pool. Would 2 be sufficient or should we go with 3 and what size of water lines would you recommend? Also would you recommend a blower as well and if so 1? Would this change the number of pumps you would recommend?

4.) Pentair automation system and an intelligent pH controller for muriatic acid.

5.) The other thing we discussed is that we won't be there all of the time and there will be weeks when the pool is not opened. Should we install a UV to eliminate some of the chloramines because of the cover?

6.) Because it is 40' they were recommending possibly 5 lights. 2 in the deep end, 1 in the spa area, 1 in front of the spa area into the pool area and 1 in the deck area. Does this seem readable or overkill?

I would really appreciate your opinions and recommendations on this and also what schematics you would propose to plumb it. I would really like to be more informed and have an idea of the appropriate plumbing before I go ahead with the project. Thanks again for your help.

Welcome to TFP.

This will not be a primary residence so we are tying to make it as automated as possible.

I think you should also keep the pool as simple as possible. Automation can introduce more complexities and when the automation fails, which it will, it is more trouble to diagnose and fix remotely.

We plan on having an automatic cover and where we live in Kansas it is under direct sun so we were concerned it would be too hot during the summer so we think we would need the cooling function of the heat pump.

I would suggest you leave room for the HP and live with the pool for at least one season and see if the cooling is necessary.

What is your energy cost in KS? Cooling with a HP is expensive compared to a Glacier Chiller unit.

1.) 2 heaters a heat pump (with a cooling feature) and a Propane heater 300k or 400k BTU. We would like the heat pump to be the primary and then use the propane to quickly heat up the spa and to use on the very edge months of our time frame if need be. Also we want to be able to heat up quickly so we don't need to plan too far in adavance.

Like I said above provision for the HP and see if it is necessary.

2.) 2 filtration systems (glass media) and 2 SWC. One of each for the spa and for the spa. I did not think this would be needed because and though based on my reading we would only use one of each but would like to have your opinions and if there are any benefits of 2.

If you have independent filtration and SWG for each body of water then you need to have dedicated pumps for each. The only benefit is you can run both at the same time which is really not necessary. This is where more equipment and unnecessary complexity is not needed in a second home.

Does the spa you are getting have a spillover to the pool so it can be maintained as a single body of water?

You need to decide which way you are going as it affects the automation system you get and if it is a POOL/SPA system or a dual body of water system.

3.). They were thinking 10 -12 jets (would like to have your opinion on this as well for jets).

Depends how you expect the jets to be arranged.

Will you have an air blower or venturi air system combined with the jets?

They recommended 3 pumps 2 to the spa and 1 to the pool.

What will the 2 spa pumps do?

How will they be plumbed?

What flow rate do you expect per jet?

Read Equipment Pad Best Practices - Further Reading
Would 2 be sufficient or should we go with 3 and what size of water lines would you recommend?

Also would you recommend a blower as well and if so 1?

Some folks think a venturi air system is adequate. I like a blower.

Would this change the number of pumps you would recommend?

12 jets at 15 GPM requires 180 GPM which is more then you can get from one pump.

4.) Pentair automation system and an intelligent pH controller for muriatic acid.

Pentair IntelliCenter is good.

Intelligent pH controller is unnecessary for a fiberglass pool and especially a covered one. Fiberglass pools don't have much pH change compared to plaster pools. And the cover keeps the CO2 from outgassing which causes pH rise.

What is the pH and TA for the fill water at the house?

5.) The other thing we discussed is that we won't be there all of the time and there will be weeks when the pool is not opened. Should we install a UV to eliminate some of the chloramines because of the cover?

No, just open the cover when you are there an let the pool breath.

6.) Because it is 40' they were recommending possibly 5 lights. 2 in the deep end, 1 in the spa area, 1 in front of the spa area into the pool area and 1 in the deck area. Does this seem readable or overkill?

Depends what lights.

Pentair guideline is to aim for 4 lumens per square foot of pool surface. For example, if the pool is 500 sq-ft then you need 500x4=2000 lumens. This would be 4 MicroBrites or 2 IntelliBrite rgb.

I would really appreciate your opinions and recommendations on this and also what schematics you would propose to plumb it. I would really like to be more informed and have an idea of the appropriate plumbing before I go ahead with the project. Thanks again for your help.

I would insist on all hard PVC and no flex PVC be used.

Last edited:
Everyone has their own point of comfort as far as water temp in a pool. My wife prefers water temp of around 90 degrees. I am in Northwest Arkansas and have never had the need to cool the water in five seasons of use. I usually have to heat the water as it is not quite up to 90 degrees unless it is extremely warm (above 95 degrees for several days and warm nights).
Most guests comment that the water feels great at that temperature.

Having the IntelliCenter automation controlling a pump and 1 heating device would simplify this setup.

I do not understand the need for 2 filters, 2 SWCG and 2 pumps. My assumption is that the fiberglass pool with spa will have a spillover from the spa to the pool - so while it is 2 separate bodies of water, you treat it as a single body for filtration, sanitization, etc.

You would program the system to run for majority of time in Pool mode (suction from pool and return to pool). Then 2 times a day program for spillover mode - suction from the pool and return to the spa. Then the spa spill overs to the pool to complete the circulation loop. This provides filtration and sanitization for both bodies of water throughout day.

For heating the spa , you would turn on the heater when in spa mode - suction from spa and return to spa. This will heat the spa quickly.

You can heat the whole pool in pool mode.

Thank you everyone for your replies. It sounds like the best answer is to start with one gas heater and then see if a chiller or heat pump is needed later. Also you have confirmed my thoughts about only having 1 SWC and 1 filter.

I was thinking based on the number of jets to have a total of 2 pumps along with a blower. Would you recommend a blower along with 2 pumps?

We do have a spillover from the spa to the pool so they can be one body of water. I will sit down with the PB and determine the number of lights. After reading those suggested readings it looks like we will also add tile around the top of the pool as well.

If we hold off on the chiller how hard would that be to add that later?

Thanks again for all your help!

I was thinking based on the number of jets to have a total of 2 pumps along with a blower. Would you recommend a blower along with 2 pumps?
Yes
If we hold off on the chiller how hard would that be to add that later?

Not hard if you provision for space on the equipment pad, plan the plumbing, and plan the electrical hookup for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.