New Pool Construction - Leander, TX

@mas985,

How many maximum jets can I have with a single 3HP pump along with 2HP blower ?
Again, it depends on the type of jet and plumbing design. Have you picked out the jets?

Also, the blower is a crutch. It really only helps when the plumbing is designed incorrectly and the venturis don't have enough power to clear the air line. A properly designed spa should not require a blower.

Reactions: srikantheee84
Again, it depends on the type of jet and plumbing design. Have you picked out the jets?

Also, the blower is a crutch. It really only helps when the plumbing is designed incorrectly and the venturis don't have enough power to clear the air line. A properly designed spa should not require a blower.
Ok. I haven’t decided on the spa jets yet. Do you recommend any jets assuming having separate pump and 3” line ? What Pentair pump is recommended ?

Last edited:
What is the ideal spa spillover length ? Is 6 or 7 ft be a problem with water flow using 3HP VSF pump ? I would like have lengthy one but concerned about the spill over if length increases.

The longer the spillover the faster the pump must run to provide the spillover water.

The more water that spills over, the more aeration you get, and the faster the pH will increase.

Not sure there is a magic number..

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you see my photo, you can see our spa spill is 6 feet. I'm not sure what your issue is exactly. Rate of water into spa determines if water just trickles over or arcs a bit.
Right. I need an arc instead of a trickle effect. My question was to get that arc how wide spillover need to be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is completely your choice on length because that pump will produce a spill at those lengths. Negative edge pools have spillways that are longer and they produce a spill into the catch basin. As mentioned before your pump will be at a higher rpm to produce the proper spill. Also the water being directed to the spa is not being directed to the pool returns to help mix the chemicals, difference between directional and dissipating. When laying out the hydraulics on a pool before construction a goal is to keep the the rpm’s low for ever day cost and still meet the turn over rate but meeting that turn over rate too soon is not good for the filter and the chemicals, Ray.

Ok. I haven’t decided on the spa jets yet. Do you recommend any jets assuming having separate pump and 3” line ? What Pentair pump is recommended ?
As I mentioned before, if you can go with 1/4" jets (10 GPM each), then a single pump solution should work for 8 jets. But I would plan on a filter/heater bypass as well just to make sure. Make sure the PB uses 3" pipe.

But personally, I would go with a 2 pump solution. It works much better. With 3" lines and a separate loop for just the jets and nothing else, you can go with 3/8" jets and an Intelliflo XF VS pump. The spa will need separate standard return lines for heating and filtering only.

Also, if the PB uses a Hartford loop or the grade from the spa to the pump is uphill, then you can possibly go without a blower.

As I mentioned before, if you can go with 1/4" jets (10 GPM each), then a single pump solution should work for 8 jets. But I would plan on a filter/heater bypass as well just to make sure. Make sure the PB uses 3" pipe.

But personally, I would go with a 2 pump solution. It works much better. With 3" lines and a separate loop for just the jets and nothing else, you can go with 3/8" jets and an Intelliflo XF VS pump. The spa will need separate standard return lines for heating and filtering only.

Also, if the PB uses a Hartford loop or the grade from the spa to the pump is uphill, then you can possibly go without a blower.
I would go with 2 pump solution. So I'm thinking pool and spa drains would be 3". Spa jets would be 3". Spa return(1) and pool return(6) to be 2 1/2". Pool size 18 * 36 and spa size 7 * 7.

What are your thoughts on these locations for skimmers, returns and lights. Any recommendations please ? Thanks!

Red - Skimmers
Blue - Returns
Green - Lights
Yellow - Bubbler

Attachments

• D3C0002A-E71B-4BBE-86FE-CE5AD88A3DBE.jpeg
    D3C0002A-E71B-4BBE-86FE-CE5AD88A3DBE.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
That would work. Have you looked at prevailing winds for summer in your area? The skimmer in corner by spa is a toss up. With no wind or good wind it will suck up all the gunk trapped in that corner. With the wrong wind it will just circulate water. And remember a standard return cant angle more than about 45 degrees but they do make right angle fittings that work excellent for certain situations. What's the depth specs on pool

That would work. Have you looked at prevailing winds for summer in your area? The skimmer in corner by spa is a toss up. With no wind or good wind it will suck up all the gunk trapped in that corner. With the wrong wind it will just circulate water. And remember a standard return cant angle more than about 45 degrees but they do make right angle fittings that work excellent for certain situations. What's the depth specs on pool
How do I find prevailing wind ? Is there any website. I’m near Leander, TX. Skimmer is not close the spa, but it is close to tanning ledge and entry to the pool. Min depth is 3’6” and max is 8’.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.