New pool build in Nicaragua

We are almost done. Before/after. A sheer descent and some other finish things to go still. Finish the wall as well. Roof over the equipment shack and over the corner sitting area.

I could not have built this pool without this excellent site!

Before:
Pool-2348_zpsvttvsluj.jpg

After.
Pool-1040_zpszngszwif.jpg

Pool-1045_zpszzhftgpb.jpg

pool-6845_zpsn7q8xshy.jpg

Your pool build thread has been so much fun to read! Thanks for sharing your story and all the pictures! This is my dream pool - all tile! Can't wait to see pictures of parties around that gorgeous pool. All the best to you and your family! Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

That is an interesting way to install mosaic. From what I can tell, they lay a pretty generous layer of thinset, then set the mosaic sheet into the thinset and press. They don't seem to worry about the thinset oozing out from the tiles....guessing that the thinset pretty much becomes the grout, so its one step and the tile is really embedded well. I have something to learn, since my glass mosaic tiles are coming off of my waterline.

The layer is nearly 1/4". The thinset IS the grout. After the tile is "stuck" fairly (2 hours or so depending) well, you apply another layer of the the special thinset for between the tiles mixed a bit thinner with a rubber/trowel/squeegee. That's it! Be careful to not let it dry fully before you squeegee it.

Cleanup just before filling the pool with 5:1 muriatic acid. Not much to cleanup at all.

The special thinset is a modified latex with some special stuff in it because of the sun/heat here to help curing. It is used everywhere here. Made in Costa Rica.

That really is interesting, particularly at this time for my pool. We've order some glass tile from LightStreams Glass Tile in California to use as trim here and there in the pool - just to dress it up a little. I won't get it for 3 weeks. With my invoice, the company included detailed installation directions (which is great) for me to give to the tile crew. But it requires a THREE WEEK cure time for the thinset and grout;- ughhhh!!! Surely your method is tried and true since you tiled your entire pool. And you guys there might be hotter than we are here in Houston. So conditions aren't totally different.

I wonder if the LightStreams group is familiar with your process? Could we get the same or similar products here? Probably they won't change their methods just because I mention it, but they might think about it at some time - maybe? To me, it just makes good business sense.

Thanks Kevreh for bringing this up! And thank you MrNica for explaining! I love learning about all of these things!!!! Where else but TFP?! Have a great day! Suz.

Most glass tile install instructions, here in the US, and what I've read, generally call for troweling with something like a 1/8" notched trowel. Next smooth out the notches, then lay the tile, pressing with a float to achieve full contact. Your supposed to do this without letting the thinset ooze out from the thin glass tiles....which is very hard to do! There's a fine line between not enough pressure and too much. Too much means the tile sticks better, but cleaning between all the little tiles is a major PIA.

I've always wanted to do it the way MrNica's builder did it, but could never get a straight answer why I couldn't use the thinset both for setting and grout.

Suz- When you say "Could we get the same or similar products here?" are you talking about the thinset? If so, companies like Laticrete and Mapei make tile thinset specifically for glass tiles. Most stores carry it.

Our high is generally around 86 but we are close to the equator so the sun is very powerful.

We filled the pool 3 days after setting the tile.

The thinset was obviously a bit alkaline as I had to add acid for a few days. Brushed for the first 4 5 days as well to get any excess thinset detached. After about 4 days the PH was completely stable. Which I presume means the "loose/new" thinset was all consumed and nothing else was coming off at all. Our water is the clearest water I have ever seen in a swimming pool after the same 4 days. I have had 3 pools in my life. All until this time were sand filters. This is a big Pentair cartridge filter. I will never go back to a sand filter now.

Very nice build. Be careful with those lounge chairs in the shallow end if they are not aluminum powder coated. We have two that look similar which aren't aluminum and after a year we had rust coming out the bottom which left a stain on our stamped concrete deck.

Hi Kevreh, I was referring to MrNica's quote saying: "The special thinset is a modified latex with some special stuff in it because of the sun/heat here to help curing. It is used everywhere here. Made in Costa Rica. "

I don't know anything about this stuff!! Since MrNica's cure times were so different and he mentioned modified and special, it made me think it was a different product. Like you, Kevreh, I'm wondering why we can't use the thinset for both the setting and the grout.

I read back over the instructions I received for the glass tile, and it lists their approved thinsets, grouts, and membranes that they have specifically tested with their glass tiles: TEC Specialty Products and Laticrete Products. So, I will have to make sure these instructions are followed so as not to void any warranties. Sighhhhh.....! Thanks all. Suz.

I was excited and hopeful to think MrNica had something very different, so I would be able to move more quickly on the glass tile installation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.