New Pool Build in Austin (Feedback welcome)

Very nice. What did they quote for that job?

An arm and 2 legs. It makes no financial sense for us to do it. We looked at moving to a house with a pool, but can’t find anything we like.

We have a triple whammy that pushes up the price. 1) We have a 1/2 inch of soil, then solid rock. 2) Our yard slopes up 6 feet toward the deep end. So, that’s 12 feet of digging through rock for the deep end 3) We have limited access to our back yard, so they can’t use the big equipment. They will use a mini excavator.

We really want it, so we are. We are very conservative with money, so thankfully have the funds for it.

An arm and 2 legs. It makes no financial sense for us to do it. We looked at moving to a house with a pool, but can’t find anything we like.

We have a triple whammy that pushes up the price. 1) We have a 1/2 inch of soil, then solid rock. 2) Our yard slopes up 6 feet toward the deep end. So, that’s 12 feet of digging through rock for the deep end 3) We have limited access to our back yard, so they can’t use the big equipment. They will use a mini excavator.

We really want it, so we are. We are very conservative with money, so thankfully have the funds for it.

Skip the deep end. A NO DIVING sign is cheap. :) Good luck with the build, hope we get to see photos!

The excavator is finished with the last project, and the PB said he’ll start tomorrow, weather permitting. That’s the good news.

The bad new is the 7 day forecast has rain every day!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ummmmmmmmm let the rocks begin??? LOL I usually say "Let the MUD begin" at this point in the pool build but you were right about the rock :shock:

What is that red/white thing/stuff? Guessing that has to go as well.

How long do they think the dig will last?

Kim:kim:

Yes, most of the existing patio will get ripped up. The rest will be replaced with travertine.

As far as how long it will take, no one will give me an estimate. It’s been two full days, and they’ve just leveled it (my backyard sloped up). My own guess is there is a minimum of a week more to go. Right now, it’s mostly jackhammering. The top thin layer of dirt was the easy part.

We’ll see...

Good luck with the dig! I love your design and use of your yard. Our pool is less than half the size of yours but similar circumstances - hard shale/rock and limited access at 1.2m max. Our dig took 5 solid days. You will have the sound of that hammer attachment stuck in your head for months! Do you have the dig fully covered in your contract? They don’t do set price digs here. Our pb wasn’t far off the mark with what he included in the contract. We were about half a day over, but had moved the pool on mark out day which made it even tighter.

Yes, the dig is a (high) fixed price. They knew going in it was mostly rock. While the price is fixed, the project timeline is not. I wasn’t able to get any firm completion date. As long as it’s done by Spring, I’ll be happy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.