New Pool Build - Conroe, TX - LOTS of pics! Come say hi Y'all.

My pool builder looked at the spots on my PT (some bumpy, some divots, a couple of streaks) - he called MMG and they will be here tomorrow. He says they will NOT have to drain the pool to buff it out. I sure HOPE they don't have to drain!

Here is how my pit is setup...
Pit x Section.jpg

I can burn logs on top and wash the ash down through the pit if I choose.
There is nothing between Drainage rock and lava rock.

The drain is then routed just outside the deck parameter. Its just an open 4" drain.

Sounds good Sun, I'm going to start my quest. I like the fact of mixing colored glass and using the mirror crushed backs as it sparkles very well in the sunlight.

The drain from my firepit - goes into the drainage system out to the road in mine.

Paris - so you just get drainage rocks - like the kind you buy at Home Depot for gardens? And you fill the pit up completely with those (up to the point the bowl/ring/kit comes in) - then you would add the glass on top of it? Is this something I should be expecting from my builder or is this more of something I will do on my own after they finish? We really didn't talk a lot about Fire Pits since I was begging and pleading for anything that I could afford . . .

Wendy, my pit drain ties into my pool overflow and garden bed drains that head off out behind my waterfall.

Marla, the amount of coverage over the gas ring is very little, so you would not save anything by keeping an underlay of lava rock.
Having too much coverage over gas ring makes it difficult/dangerous to light.
Mine does not have the bowl Wendy mentioned in hers.
If I transition to glass I will need something like that to separate the glass from my drainage rock.

Whether it be lava rock or glass, that heat stable material must separate the gas ring from any other material (like drainage rock in my case) to prevent popping rocks.

Mine does not have that feature.
That would be a nice to have, but another thing to fail to environmental factors.
I just use one of those long gas firelighters.

Well, now that you mention it - with this huge pit - maybe I don't get a bowl - maybe I just get the ring . . . this one is GIANT compared to the one I was getting. I am just going to sit back and be surprised and happy with whatever I get! :)

Then I will PM OZDiver when I need to make some changes!

- - - Updated - - -

What about an electric ignitor? Or does that already come with it? (See I told you I know nothing!)

I couldn't afford the ignitor. I have a little valve I turn and then light. Im just happy I no longer have to go walk around looking for wood to burn!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the way I will convert to glass is:
1. Buy a sheet of stainless mesh.
2. Remove all Lava Rock.
3. Cut mesh to fit pit with a gas pipe size hole in center.
4. Remove gas ring from gas pipe.
5. Drop in mesh over gas pipe and reinstall gas ring.
6. Dump in the Glass.
7. Light er up and be dazzled.

This is what I understood - When I ordered my fire/water bowls, it came with the bowls/fire rings and lava rock (2 bags) but they said that to add the lava rock first to 3/4 high, lay the fire ring on top and then place a thin layer of lava rock again not to place too much over the ring. Gently sprinkle your colored fire glass on top of the ratty lava rock for beauty and move around to your liking. They also make a cutout shape (like a cookie cutter) that you can place on top to separate colored fire glass which looks neat. Make sure the PB buys the full port valve and not the reduced port as you want as much fire/gas flowing when the fire pit is going (he should know this). I have a fairly larger order of glass to buy so I will shop around....

The drain from my firepit - goes into the drainage system out to the road in mine.

Paris - so you just get drainage rocks - like the kind you buy at Home Depot for gardens? And you fill the pit up completely with those (up to the point the bowl/ring/kit comes in) - then you would add the glass on top of it? Is this something I should be expecting from my builder or is this more of something I will do on my own after they finish? We really didn't talk a lot about Fire Pits since I was begging and pleading for anything that I could afford . . .

I think the way I will convert to glass is:
1. Buy a sheet of stainless mesh.
2. Remove all Lava Rock.
3. Cut mesh to fit pit with a gas pipe size hole in center.
4. Remove gas ring from gas pipe.
5. Drop in mesh over gas pipe and reinstall gas ring.
6. Dump in the Glass.
7. Light er up and be dazzled.

I wanna bedazzled!

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I understood - When I ordered my fire/water bowls, it came with the bowls/fire rings and lava rock (2 bags) but they said that to add the lava rock first to 3/4 high, lay the fire ring on top and then place a thin layer of lava rock again not to place too much over the ring. Gently sprinkle your colored fire glass on top of the ratty lava rock for beauty and move around to your liking. They also make a cutout shape (like a cookie cutter) that you can place on top to separate colored fire glass which looks neat. Make sure the PB buys the full port valve and not the reduced port as you want as much fire/gas flowing when the fire pit is going (he should know this). I have a fairly larger order of glass to buy so I will shop around....

Hopefully they do mine soon - so I can see what they are planning - maybe we can go in together - split shipping! Save some $$!!

Also one other thing to check before they do all the filling - get them to put in a non-whistling flex line to the ring if they are using any flex. Both of my neighbors who have fire pits like yours, when they are turned past half way up they humm/whistle. I guess the gas running past the ridges in standard corrugated flex line starts to oscillate and will whistle.

PT sent a crew out to check the spots that I thought we're bubbly or chipped & there is a spot that had an odd color. These guys were very cool. They sanded some spots but said they had to talk to headquarters. I think they want to re-buff the entire pool?

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.