New Pool Buda (just south of Weird) Texas - November 2017

Question: I've read here often about hanging the sock in front of a return, away from the side. Why don't we put a CYA sock in the skimmer basket? Wouldn't that be easier, safer?

It isn't a problem putting it in the skimmer *as long as you keep your pump running until entirely dissolved*. If you let it sit there with the pump off, the acidic cya will cause the standing skimmer water to get very acidic. Then when you turn your pump back on you're giving your pump gaskets, etc a huge bolus of acidic water. Not so good for equipment in the long run, y'know?

Maddie :flower:

Yes, I am running my pump 24/7 right now.

I am curious, if someone did add a non-CYA chlorine stabilizer, how would you know how much was in the pool at any given point? How can anyone test for such. Glad I avoided it.

There is no such thing.

Do you know what the chemical name was of what they attempted to sell you?

The only non-CYA stabilizer for FC would be a pool cover, haha. It would protect FC from ultraviolet light, but would not offer the benefit of making the chlorine gentle on swimmers and swimsuits, or the benefit of maintaining the FC reserve.

Maybe the powder they tried to sell you was non-stabilized chlorine, which would be calcium hypochlorite (aka 'cal hypo')? I went in a pool store once and they said, "no mate, we don't sell sayonara acid," followed by gales of laughter. I'm sure my Canadian accent was part of the problem!

It was called Instant Conditioner and it is touted as being “a salt, not an acid”. It says that it works instantly to stabilize chlorine - protect it from UV rays.

So ,,,,,,,, What do you Chemical whiz kids think???

OK, RED ALERT! This is the same stuff Leslie's sold me as "Liquid CYA." I have a gallon of it in my pool. It definitely stained my new pebble, so beware its claims. Granted, I applied it badly, but it is definitely capable of harming a pool's surface.

I've been operating under the assumption that I added a gallon of CYA to my pool. And according to the label, I should have a level of 30, based on my gallons of water. Now I don't know what to think. I have not yet performed a successful CYA test.

According to the products Data Safety Sheet (from the manufacturer's website) the product is 35% Sodium cyanurate.

Do I have CYA in my pool or not?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, around 30. Pool volume could be wrong. Stuff might have been stuck as sludge in bottom of jug. "Natural Chemistry" might have messed up. (maybe they ran out of mushrooms and peasant dresses) and/or testing error. Try 20/30 more of powder, unless a SLAM is anticipated, then make it 10 at a time til you see 30.

MYSTERY MEAT OF THE MONTH - CHEMICAL SLEUTHING:

Was that the mystery meat of the month that needsajet posted there?
Looked pretty tasty to me though.
Those folks from Down Under know how to BBQ too!!!!! Almost (but not quite) as well as we folks in Texas!

I think that we really do have a mystery meat in this stuff that pool stores are selling as "LIQUID CYA" but is non-acid.

What is that stuff really??

How does it work??

Can you test for the amount of it in your pool??

How does it interact with, supplement, or react with actual CYA?

Who is the Chemical Columbo who can solve this?

Yep, around 30. Pool volume could be wrong. Stuff might have been stuck as sludge in bottom of jug. "Natural Chemistry" might have messed up. (maybe they ran out of mushrooms and peasant dresses) and/or testing error. Try 20/30 more of powder, unless a SLAM is anticipated, then make it 10 at a time til you see 30.

Sorry, who are you replying to? Me?

I am freaking out over here...

You hijacked so you have to figure it out, plus heads-up that you risk having a massive inflatable pink flamingo arrive in your backyard. But yes, I responded to your question "do I have CYA in my pool or not?" even though I shouldn't have. Thought it might just be a quick in and out, and is related to the topics the owner of the thread has underway. Sorry if I freaked yas out.

You hijacked so you have to figure it out, plus heads-up that you risk having a massive inflatable pink flamingo arrive in your backyard. But yes, I responded to your question "do I have CYA in my pool or not?" even though I shouldn't have. Thought it might just be a quick in and out, and is related to the topics the owner of the thread has underway. Sorry if I freaked yas out.

Well, technically, the OP skeptic brought this stuff to our attention and asked questions about it, so I think I'm piggy-backing, not hijacking! ;)

My pool volume is dead on. I measured it going in, it's not a calculation. The other possibilities stand. But I wasn't so much worried about the level, but about the stuff itself. I never measured my CYA, I assumed it was 30 based on the label's math. What I'm worried about is whether I have any CYA, or if what I added was some sort of Leslie's voodoo, for which my water will eventually suffer from in some way...

And come spring, when I add salt and up my CYA to 70, is what I have in the pool now going to cooperate with "real" CYA, or fight with it?

skepic and I are both asking the same question. What is this stuff?

It’s just sodium cyanurate which is the sodium neutralized salt of cyanuric acid. It’s a weak base formed from neutralizing cyanuric acid with lye (sodium hydroxide) similar to how one neutralizes ascorbic acid with lye to form sodium ascorbate.

Once in pool water, it will return to its equilibrium state and form a chlorinated cyanurate.

It’s just sodium cyanurate which is the sodium neutralized salt of cyanuric acid. It’s a weak base formed from neutralizing cyanuric acid with lye (sodium hydroxide) similar to how one neutralizes ascorbic acid with lye to form sodium ascorbate.

Once in pool water, it will return to its equilibrium state and form a chlorinated cyanurate.

Thanks for the quick response, Matt! I was following along right up until your last two words. So if the label claimed a level of 30 in 12K gallons of pool water (give or take), can I continue to assume, as I have been, that my pool has a CYA level of 30, as referenced by TFP in all it's advice and charts and Pool Math calculations? I'm in the clear and haven't succumbed to any Leslie's evil? It's just as if I added the equivalent amount of the granules you all recommend? And won't cause any problems when I do add more granular CYA for my upcoming conversion to a salt water pool?

Is that image your official beckoning signal? Can it be used by all? Are there any ordinances about its use, or misuse? What if I just want to ask about pool toys? Or get a cat out of a tree?

Thanks again...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.