New Pool Balancing

atl_nj

Jun 1, 2020
NJ
Hi all,

I have spent the last 3 weeks reading as much as I can from this site in anticipation of getting my new pool put in. There is so much great information and I am totally sold on the TFP method so I want to thank you all in advance.

In any case I wanted to post my first test results and get some feedback on how to proceed so I don't mess anything up. The pool is pretty small (5300 Gallon AGP/ Sand Filter/ No SWG). I had a similar sized pool before but just threw random chemicals in based on what the bottles said and never had nice looking water.

The pool was filled late Sunday with 5-10% water from my well and the rest with clear water from the fire company (from a hydrant). I spent half the day Monday getting my pump operating again so didn't test until about 24 hours after the fill and my numbers are below:

FC - 0
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
CYA - 0 (Not cloudy at all)
TA - 120-160 (started to change around 120 but not fully changed until 160)
CH - 110 - 160 (I had a hard time with this one because it went purple at first then blue)

Test kit was a Taylor 2006

The only thing I have done so far was add 2 cups of 12% LC. I tested about an hour after that to make sure I was doing the FC test correct and got 2.2PPM FC.

I was going to add CYA today. I have HTH stabilizer granulars and PoolMath tells me to add 2LB.

I am going to rerun all the tests tonight or tomorrow to ensure my TA, PH and CH numbers are right but is there anything else I should be doing other than adding CYA and more bleach? Do I need to lower my TA?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum!
Great job on getting ready and having a great test kit.
CYA and chlorine. That is all you need. TA will come down as you adjust your pH from 8 to 7.6. If that rise is too fast then you can address the TA.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Add CYA and maintain your chlorine level and go swim.

Your TA and CH are fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.